PDA

View Full Version : 356 Winchester Anyone

Mike H
May 17, 2000, 12:43 PM
Guys,

I've been reading an article on the relatively new 356 Winchester cartridge and it seems like a great choice for a lever action brush gun. Does anyone have a rifle chambered for this round, and if so, what is your opinion of both gun and cartridge. Advice appreciated,

Regards,

Mike H

Jeff, CA
May 17, 2000, 05:50 PM
Actually, it's not new - it's been around for 10 years at least (of course, compared to the .30-30...). It didn't make it in the market. AFAIK, not even Winchester chambers it anymore, though when they did, it was in the Model 94 Big Bore, a stronger version of the 94.

You're right - it probably would make an excellent woods cartridge, as would its bolt action cousin, the .358, which was also a commercial flop.

The consensus is that both of these came out at the wrong time - the time when everyone wanted a "magnum", with high velocity.

I considered getting a .356 Big Bore myself, but I balked because there aren't many suitable aftermarket bullets - only the Speer 220 grain flat point and Hornady 250 grain round nose. Don't tell anybody - I'm still thinking about having a custom .358 bolt action built.

Bud Helms
May 17, 2000, 09:25 PM
More like 15-16 years.