PDA

View Full Version : Hunting With A Revolver

PALongbow
November 26, 2002, 07:53 PM
Well our PA rifle season is the Monday after Thanksgivining and I'm headed into the woods this year with my revolver in seach of a buck or a doe. Its my first year hunting with a revolver and after a long summer practicing with my SRH revolver I believe that I'm ready to go.

A question for you seasoned handgun hunters that have taken deer. When a deer approaches is there any bit of advise that you could offer other than just pull the trigger and shoot?

Ron

KilgorII
November 26, 2002, 09:25 PM
Aim :D

ViLLain
November 26, 2002, 09:48 PM
Key to a successful handgun hunt is to commit to the method of harvest, trust what you got and be patient. Don't take both a rifle and handgun. You're either handgun hunting or you are not.

Southla1
November 26, 2002, 10:31 PM
Stay calm, Sight alignment, and trigger squeeze. Do not get rattled and not aim or jerk the trigger.

labgrade
November 26, 2002, 11:09 PM
If you shoot single action, the cocking mechanism can make some noise spooking the deer at the closer handgun ranges.

Try to to jam that hammer back, take your time (only takes an added second or so) & silently as possible, cock that hammer.

Aiming is good too.

Rmouleart
November 27, 2002, 10:24 AM
Opening day in NH Nov 13 was rainy all day, went back to the RV after the morning hunt and put my rifle away and took my scoped SuperRedHawk 44 mag and scoped bandoleer holster under my rain hooded coat and still stalked back to my stand, just about to my stand and two deer running bye me about thirty yards away, I looked to my right for a open shot, that was the direction they were going, placed my scope there and as soon as I saw the deers shoulder enter my cross hairs I squeezed and down he went, Shot right behind the shoulder,a little luck and a lot of practice it all came together, this was 120pd button buck, looked a lot bigger on the hoof, but I thought to my self not bad using my Superredhawk 44 mag using the bullet reloaded,Hornady XTP 240gr using ww296 at 24 gr, CCI mag primers at 1520fps, nothing feels better than taking your game with the bullet you reloaded yourself. I love hangunning;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

P.S. I always have the hammer back ready to rock & roll, no noise till its too late:)

http://www.hotspothunting.com/userimages/Rmouleart_5658.jpg

huntsman
November 27, 2002, 11:15 AM
PAlongbow, best of luck on monday :) I too am going out for the first time with my Ruger SRH-7 . Scope sighted in and ready to go , again good luck from Ohio.

Southla1
November 27, 2002, 01:08 PM
Great Job Rmouleart!

Don't kid yourself those little 120 pound nubbie bucks and does make the best deer roasts, sausage, backstrap etc. :)

For the longest I have been accused of being the man that if a 12 point and a doe walks out in front of me I will shoot the doe cause they are better eating!

Turk
November 27, 2002, 01:39 PM
I think you’ll really like handgun hunting it can be a real challenge. What are you’re plans stalking or a stand?

My suggestions are to Practice, Practice and Practice more shooting offhand at 50 yards. (This is the max. I’ll take an offhand shot. I will take a 100 yard shot if I’m scoped or Red Dot sight and can find a rest with any of the following handgun calibers, 41 Mag., 44 Mag., 45 Colt and 444 Marlin. I prefer revolvers over single shot pistols but the 444 is a TC Contender. I always like shorter barreled pistols which mine range from 5 to 14” in the Contender. I would use a 4” barrel if my state allowed .

Don’t carry the handgun holstered while hunting. Keep it ready BUT you finger OFF the trigger. DONOT carry it cocked if it’s a single action you will have time to cock it. Using my Smiths DA’s I always cock to fire. You have the time and concering cocking the hammer make noise spooking the deer that is an opinion and as you know everyone has one. Have a goal of a one shot stop. If you’re not sure of your shot don’t shoot.

Concerning bullets. I really don’t think it matters hunting whitetail deer. A jacked HP or a cast will most always blow through the aminial.

I use Keith style bullets in all my pistols but did take a whitetail a couple years back with a 170 gr. HP with a 41 mag. Blew right through. Last week I returned for an elk hunt I did carry my 629 in addition to my 9.3x62mm hoping I could possibly get a 50 yards shot but if not the 9.3 would do it. But alas didn’t score.

My elk round is a Lyman 315gr. Keith SWC style using H-110 as the pusher..

I see you’re from Potter county. Great county have vacationed there and hunted turkey there a couple of times.

Better go. Enjoy your hunt and have a safe one. Remember one shot one kill. I'll be hunting at least one day next week myself and will probalbly use my 629 with the elk load. A little over kill but I've got them loaded.

Have a good day.

Turk

Steve in PA
November 27, 2002, 01:47 PM
I only cock my revolver when I see the deer I want to shoot.

keano44
November 27, 2002, 02:06 PM
Like with bow hunting, aim small, hit small. I've been following your handgun related posts all year, since you reminded me of myself. I've been through the same type of situation as you are going through. That is, aquiring a hunting handgun, developing a hunting load for it, practicing, practicing, learning your limits, etc. It seems you have done the work. My last bit of advice would be to have confidence in yourself, and stick to your self imposed limits. When the shot presents itself, take it. Good luck.

Rmouleart
November 27, 2002, 03:06 PM
Your right Southla1 those young deer are the best to eat;) Like fillet minion melts in your mouth.
keano44 your 100% right also. Take care all, and good luck, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

PALongbow
November 27, 2002, 07:17 PM
You guys are the best and thanks for the advise. Its always been a dream of mine to shoot a deer with a revolver. I have harvested a few deer and small game with my longbow and feel that maybe hunting game with a stickbow with my own home made wood arrows was the ultimate, but taking a deer with the handgun has got to rank right up there.

Good luck to all of you guys this hunting season and I'll be sure to post the results of my opening day hunt.

Rmouleart--congradulations on your deer. Its got to be a great feeling!

keano44--I'm a very patient hunter due to my bowhunting roots and hunting with a stickbow in which shots have to be close for me to release an arrow. I'm going to let them get as close as possible because my optimal range offhand has been around 35 yards. I have worked hard this year with this revolver and load so I'm confident in the gun and the load, however I have to build confidence in myself as a handgun hunter. Thanks for your post.

huntsman-- Good luck to you over there in neighboring Ohio.

Turk -- Potter County has a good amount of deer and I have some of the nicest country to hunt in. If you ever want to hunt in Potter County give me a shout.