PDA

View Full Version : CZ75b or Browning HP MKIII

shooter.45
November 25, 2002, 06:09 PM
I narrowed my decision down to these two. I went back to the Dealer today and held both and cannot make my mind up. I know the price is much different but thats really about it. I did notice the Trigger on the Browning was a little gritty compaired to the CZ dont know if that is normal or not. Any comments would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

:confused:

Ninj500
November 25, 2002, 06:51 PM
I'll be the first to say it: You're going to eventually buy both anyway so it doesn't matter which one you pick. Good luck choosing, I have one of each and love them both.

shooter.45
November 25, 2002, 06:52 PM
No really I am only going to buy 1. I already have a Sig226 9mm and just wanted to add another 9mm to keep it company..

hksigwalther
November 25, 2002, 06:59 PM
HAH. Last time I posted on CZ75 vs. HP, I made a couple grevious errors in my descriptions. That's what you get for posting from work.

In short, for me at least, it would boil down to a coin flip between these two.

Ninj500
November 25, 2002, 07:00 PM
No really I am only going to buy 1

Let's see, I said that after I bought my Ruger P-89...and my Hi-Power..and my Glock 17...and CZ-75BD. Oh yeah, then I said it after the Colt 1911 and so on and so on. :D

Pilot
November 25, 2002, 07:49 PM
Mr. .45,

You have excellent taste sir. Both are fine firearms. And since you already have a Sig 226 which is a DA/SA 9MM, I would go with the Hi Power to get a nice, slim, single action 9MM. The triggers are fine but may need the mag safety removed or a little bit of stoning. A $45 trigger job will make the BHP superb. Mine was OK out of the box, but YMMV.

Now, when you do get around to it, get a CZ-75B or one of the compact models like a PCR or P-01.

My BHP, CZ-75's and HK P7M8 are firearms I would never sell.

Kahrma from Shooters
November 25, 2002, 08:31 PM
Ahhh, my two favorite 9mm pistols!

You could buy a new FEG HP and a CZ Ya know.

On the BHP be carefull on the model condition and price. The CZ is like your sig they're all the same, punched out like cookies, unless it's a pre B.

The CZ will never have the crisp trigger of the BHP because the hammer has to cam back. Both are great guns in fact they are the best. :cool:

It all depends on the "deal" you get on the BHP and what model and year it is. Look up the year here,,,,, www.fnhipower.com

JTWard
November 25, 2002, 09:05 PM
For the price of the Hi-Power you can buy the CZ 75B and the CZ Kadet .22LR adapter and really have a versatile firearm.
The Hi-Power is nice, but it will never match the CZ 75B for accuracy. There have been several stories in the gun mags recently on Hi-Powers, both old and brand new, and in each case the major fault commented on with the Hi-Power was it's so-so accuracy. All said it was fine for a combat pistol, but no target gun. Well, taped here to my desk is a five-shot, 5/8-inch group I shot with my CZ 75B. I went to the range this afternoon and eight of the 10 groups measured under 1.5 inch, some way under. You'll never get this kind of accuracy out of a box stock Hi-Power.

SteveC
November 25, 2002, 09:05 PM
If not, then get the CZ-75. Out of the box, it is a better shooter than the BHP (IMO)

If you are going to customize, then the BHP has a lot more options for turning it into a really fancy gun. For me, the BHP grip is perfectly sized - but the CZ-75 is a close second. And aesthetically, the BHP appeals to me more. HiCaps are also cheaper and easier to find.

If you don't plan on carrying, then I'd get a CZ-75SA, have Mike@CZ do a trigger job on it, and then slam a pair of Hakan's flame amboine grips on it. It will be a sweet and beautiful shooter. And still affordable.

But if you are collecting, the BHP is more of a classic than the CZ-75.

Steve

Rmf33
November 25, 2002, 09:06 PM
Hmm,
It depends...if you want a single action auto loader the HP is the way to go. I'm prejudiced towards single action auto loaders; same trigger squeeze for each round fired. For me it's the easiest
way to shoot autoloaders. Let us know what you chose.
Bob

blazer610
November 25, 2002, 11:33 PM
I own both weapons and both are superb. I'd hate to have to make a choice between the two. They're each a real pleasure to shoot. I suppose that the CZ is a better value but I prefer the Browning. I really can't say why though. They are (IMO) equally accurate and reliable. Maybe the nostalgic factor favors the Hi-Power.

robctwo
November 25, 2002, 11:58 PM
I also own both. I have the CZ75BD and the BHP Standard. I bought the BHP first. For sheer shooting fun I prefer the CZ with the .22 Kadet and the 9mm at the range. One gun, two guns, lots of shooting for little money. My CZ is slightly more accurate than my BHP, but not much.

Wildalaska
November 26, 2002, 12:01 AM
Iv'e owned them both... and the CZ 75 is an accurate pistol, although I have shot custom and non custom HPs that shoot as well....

But the CZ just feels...well...heavier...to me its OK as a service pistol, but way to heavy for concealed carry, unlike the HP which is an excellent carry gun...

The CZ is also way to big for my hand, BTW...

I therefore prefer the HP

Stephen A. Camp
November 26, 2002, 12:31 AM
Hello. I have both, shoot both, and like both very much. YOU will need to decide which is "best" for you. It'll be hard to make a "wrong" choice between these two.

Best.

taco
November 26, 2002, 12:44 AM
If you have large hand with long fingers get the CZ-75.
If you have short fingers (like me) get the BHP.

What I'm saying is, get the one that feels better in your hand as you can't go wrong with either of these pistols.

Eric Larsen
November 26, 2002, 10:14 AM
Asking this question is like asking the difference between a Kimber or Springfield....both are stellar weapons.

Ill tell you I had the same dilema on a smaller scale :D :rolleyes:
just recently...I have CZ PCR's and wanted a HP Compact to match the shortened CZ's. I found an FN HP DA c....absolutely beautiful gun with an absolutely crappy trigger....a 750$ gun that needs a trigger job out of the box, shouldnt be....anyway.

The HP/CZ choice boils down to how they feel to you IMO. The S/a only is a factor if thats what youre looking for..but the CZ can be carried Cond 1 and can have the same consistant s/a trigger pull....most CZ's have great s/a triggers anyway.

Either will do you very well.....Shoot well

Onslaught
November 26, 2002, 10:25 AM
I second the vote for a CZ75SA... It's like getting both in one... sorta. Plus the already mentioned Kadet adapter really leans me toward the CZ even more...

I'm getting from your comments that you just want a shooter to go with your Sig.... so this won't be a carry pistol or anything. If I'm on the money with that, then CZ75SA it would be (for me) :D

Bandit
November 26, 2002, 11:19 AM
Tough choice.. Being economicaly minded I'd choose the CZ, but the HP is such a nice pistol with an impeccable reputation. If I had the funds to buy either/or but not both, it would be a coin flip decision for me.

As was eluded to earlier, get what best *fits* your hand and if that's a tossup (Is for me), go for what ya can afford for now and get the other later. You *know* you will eventually. :D

Rick http://shootist.50megs.com/2guns.gif

zxc
November 26, 2002, 09:31 PM
second the posts re fit; no hammer bite with CZ. test drive each.

ruger357
November 27, 2002, 12:00 PM
21a:D

Kahrma from Shooters
November 27, 2002, 12:46 PM
JT Ward >> The Hi-Power is nice, but it will never match the CZ 75B for accuracy. There have been several stories in the gun mags recently on Hi-Powers, both old and brand new, and in each case the major fault commented on with the Hi-Power was it's so-so accuracy. All said it was fine for a combat pistol, but no target gun."

Well I noticed that in the gun rags also and never could understand why these people couldn't shoot a BHP! But then again I have ZERO faith in gun rags to begin and I usually shoot better groups with the same gun then they do and I'm not that great of a shot!

I have 3 BHP's , two with trigger jobs the GP is all stock . my GP comp HP and 1965 BHP are the most accurate 9mms I've ever shot. My Pre B CZ shoots real good (about 2" average) but not as well as the above.

Some days you can get lucky and pull in a really tight group and I've done so with each but I go for averages. Also to say that the CZ is more accurate than the BHP in genaral is false, because some of each are better than others. :rolleyes:

Both guns are the tops so I must say buying each is the way to go.

Jeff OTMG
November 27, 2002, 10:00 PM
If both fit your hand then I would choose the BHP for carry and the CZ for home defense or a range gun. The BHP has a shorter grip and weighs less making it easier to conceal. The CZ, in my experience, is more accurate out of the box, weighs more, and has a higher magazine capacity. Since you already have the DA/SA SIG P226 consider both the BHP and CZ to be SA only. In fact I have had my CZ's converted to SAO since I would never use the DA capability anyway.

Litlman
November 28, 2002, 01:11 AM
I have a 75 bd ,and am looking for a 85 combat and a bhp. Maybe even a cz 75 compact or PCR....

Litlman................................

Rail Gun
November 28, 2002, 02:16 AM
Get a glock 17 :p

Randy63
November 28, 2002, 03:25 AM
Wow Litlman!

Three more posts and you'll be a senior member!
You're too cool.
Ask your wife if it's OK to celebrate your impending senior status.

Randy

Ala Dan
November 28, 2002, 03:29 AM
If money is no object, go for the Browning Hi-Power
MK-III.:cool: Or, be satisfied with the quality CZ-75B.:D
I don't see you going wrong with either; its just a matter
of how much cash you want to spend?:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

DAL
November 28, 2002, 11:32 PM
I have small hands, but I've become comfortable with my CZ75BD. Like others have said, it boils down to what works best for you. One thing to consider, and I hope I am correct on this, the BHP holds 13 rounds in the mag. while the full-size CZ holds 15 (if I'm wrong on this, someone let me know). I don't know if that makes a big difference to you, but it's something to consider. Good luck on making the right choice.
DAL

Litlman
November 29, 2002, 11:55 AM
Randy your a B/B. You already know the answer to that one.

Litlman...........................

ruger357
December 5, 2002, 05:05 PM
I have a CZ75 and love it. Shoots anything. I am looking at another one at Smilies.:D

gryphon
December 5, 2002, 05:10 PM
DAL,

FYI, you can get reliable 17 rounders for the BHP.

The only thing that I see between the 2 and why I chose the BHP over the CZ was that the slide on the CZ was too thin for my liking. When I'd go to rack the slide my fingers would catch part of the frame.

Other than that, it's a coin toss between the two.

twoblink
December 6, 2002, 12:56 AM
I totally call BS on this one. If you are considering either one, you are going to end up with both!!

There's no loser in that crowd, so it's great to know regardless of your decision, you've picked a winner.

HandgunShooter
December 6, 2002, 01:46 AM
CZ. CZ is much cheaper and yet is every bit as well constructed and is a more advanced design that employs several advancements made after the basic HP design has been finalized.

johnbt
December 6, 2002, 11:22 AM
I bought a CZ75B Military a couple of years ago. I figured I'd get it while the price was right. The SA trigger was pretty good, the little sights were pretty bad. Perfectly reliable.

Last year I bought a basic NIB BHP. Bad SA trigger and pretty good sights. Perfectly reliable. No hammer bite. I ditched the mag safety to improve the trigger a bit, but I have good hand strength so the 6#-plus pull I'm left with is fine.

Both guns got new wood grips. Smooth on the CZ and checkered on the HP.

Conclusion. Pretty much a draw. The BHP feels just a hair better in hand and has sights that I can really see. The CZ catches all of the 'tackle box' duty.

John