PDA

View Full Version : Target shooting magnification.

SquirrelNuts
November 20, 2002, 03:55 PM
The only outdoor range I have easy access to is 100 yards. I have two guns that I shoot at 100 yards regularly-my Remington 700 in .30-06 and my Marlin 880SQ in .22LR. Both have 3-9 power scopes on them. I always use the full 9 power when shooting at 100 yards. I have also read articles that tell you to get a 7mm exit. I have done this with both scope and cannot tell any real difference.

What do you guys set your scopes to at 100 yards?

-SquirrelNuts

cratz2
November 20, 2002, 04:42 PM
Unless I'm trying to see how good the scope stays true at various magnifications, I always shoot at 6x or 10x if those are options on 223, .243, .308 etc...

With the 7mm or the .270 I use about 4x.

You'd be surprised how well a person can shoot at the lower magnifications. I used to think that the higher the power of the scope, the better the groups... Not completely true all the time.

SquirrelNuts
November 20, 2002, 05:00 PM
It is interesting that you mention 6x. If you are trying to achieve a 7mm pupil exit on the scope, 5.7x is the correction setting for a 40mm objective lens.

-SquirrelNuts

eroyd
November 20, 2002, 05:10 PM
18x on Rams at 100 meters, (small bore) I turn it down a bit if I've had too much coffee (14X). On our line anywhere from 12x - 24x depending on preference seems prevaillent. One guy shoots a 32x. He shoots master scores, don't know how he keeps that thing steady. He does occasionally shoot the wrong animal.(target that is)

DMK
November 21, 2002, 04:36 PM
I just mounted an $18 fixed 6x on my poor man's target rifle/gunsmith trainer (Romanian 1969). It works like a dream for 50 to 100 yards and I can actually see those little holes in the target.

I can't see the need for an adjustable scope on a target rifle. For anything closer than 50 yards , I just switch rifles to the other one with open sights!

$50 rifles are a beautiful thing! :D

SquirrelNuts
November 22, 2002, 12:44 AM
DMK,

That makes me want to get another Mosin Nagant 91/30.

-SquirrelNuts

Crimper-D
November 22, 2002, 01:16 AM
Hunting rifle = a dead-on cold bore Xring hit is what I try for when sighting in. Never more than 3 shot groups with 20-30 min cooling off between relays.
Reason - I hunt with a featherweight rifle with a light whippy little barrel and a built in recoil reducer. Any more than 3 shots is a waste of ammo as it _always_ starts to string vertically after 3 shots. This is my 6.25lb (with scope & sling & 4 rounds on board)
carry-all-day, shoot ONCE - twice if I'm sloppy:rolleyes: HUNTING Rifle - it was never made for bench shooting, and the only time I shoot it this way is to verify the sight setting and the load being used. The 4X scope? = Adequate and lighter than a variable. I hunt deer and pigs in some Very hot country, and the rifle weight I don't hsve tocarry, I can make up for with extra water.;) :p

rcbs
November 22, 2002, 08:03 AM
What power scope you use will depend on what kind of shooting you intend on doing at 100 yards.f

It has been my experience that if you are just shooting holes in paper the best results are using a quality scope and the highest power magnification you can afford. Generally 20 power is about the lowest you will want to go for consistant results in the accuracy department and 32 or 40 power is even better.

But remember not all scopes are equal in terms of quality. When it comes to optics you really get what you pay for. I have never found a good deal on optics. The more you pay generally the better scope you are going to get.

When I shoot target matches in the offhand position I shoot a 24 power scope and there are times when I wish I had an even higher magnification. The old myth is that you cannot hold a rifle steady enough with a high power scope. The real truth is that you are far more likely to hold it steader than using any set of iron sights or even a low power scope because when you can see your gun moving you realize how much work you have to do to train your muscles to hold the gun steady. Once you have master this then you will never want a lower power scope or iron sights if your object is to shoot the smallest groups possible even when shooting in the offhand position.