PDA

View Full Version : Lever Action Question...

EXPLORER
April 29, 2000, 08:56 PM
Years ago, I had a lever action .22; I think it was a Browning. I distinctly remember that the magazine tube could be unloaded from the muzzle end, negating the necessity of unloading via using the lever. Do any modern big-bore (specifically .44 magnum) lever actions have this feature? I think the answer is no. Why not? I'm guessing there is some sort of design limitation. I know Ruger makes a .44 lever with a rotary magazine, making unloading a snap (not counting a live round in the chamber), but The Ruger has two limitations, in my opinion. First, magazine capacity is only four. Second, it does not have that historical western look. Thanks for your input.

Hal
April 30, 2000, 03:50 AM
EXPLORER,
No,unloading either a Winchester or a Marlin is via the action. The tube is plugged at the muzzle end to hold the feed spring captive. In a .22 tube, the insert has the spring in it. The Winchester can be safely unloaded by using the lever and working it just enough to pull a round from the tube, but not enough to chamber the round. It's a little bit awkward, but easier done than said. Hope this makes sense.
Agreed on the looks of the Ruger. For me, the classic design of the Winchester and Marlin is just as important as the action.

Gunslinger
April 30, 2000, 10:12 PM
You might consider a reproduction 1860 Henry.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet (http://204.235.96.21:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=46078), August 12th & 13th, 2000

Alfadog
May 1, 2000, 11:43 AM
I personally dislike loading from the muzzle end of a tubular magazine because it almost always causes a violation of Rule #2: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY. Watch somebody, especially a novice, loading a 9422 or whatever and the muzzle usually winds up pointing at their head. Even if it doesn't, the muzzle will almost invariably be pointed somewhere other than safely down range. Not good. The loading gate on the side of the receiver was a major improvement in lever action rifle design.