PDA

View Full Version : My rifles - am I all set?

liketoshoot
November 19, 2002, 07:16 PM
I had a Marlin 39M (Mountie carbine) for a while.

I just bought a nice Norinco SKS.

I have placed an order for a Cavalry Arms AR15 recently and am waiting for its delivery.

That should take care of my rifle jones for a while. :D

By the way, the SKS and AR15 were recent "discoveries" - I had not given much thought to them before.

Are there any other rifles out there I should anticipate falling in love with?

By the way, I have a jones for the DSA FAL Medium Tactical Rifle, but can't meet the $1400-1500 price fight now.

Sactown
November 19, 2002, 07:39 PM
You're missing an M1 Garand and/or M1A. M1A Loaded was my first rifle and that's my first pick out of the safe. Beats my Blaser R93 Tactical and barely beats my Garand out of the safe.

Christopher II
November 19, 2002, 07:48 PM
You need .22s. Badly.

I'd suggest a .22LR AR clone and a .22 bolt gun.

- Chris

liketoshoot
November 19, 2002, 07:52 PM
Um, my Marlin 39 is a .22. I'd like more, but my budget will be allocated to calibers I don't have. (Like .308, etc)

Sactown
November 19, 2002, 07:54 PM
Garand in 30.06 and M1A in .308, problem solved.

LBC
November 19, 2002, 08:14 PM
M1A and an HK94! :D

HankL
November 19, 2002, 08:14 PM
liketoshoot, What sort of question are you posing? Sit at my knee Grasshopper and I will tell you many amazing things.
:D

liketoshoot
November 19, 2002, 08:31 PM
Ah, O Wise Masta, enlighten me with your knowledge. :)

Acutally, I was just making a point that while I like guns a lot, I used to see SKS's and AR15's all the time, but never thought anything about them. Was more into handguns I guess.

But suddenly, I was the gun store and I saw a nice SKS, and thought, hmmm. Cheap rifle. Cheap ammo. Here's my money, gun store clerk!

Rifles are just cool, but I'm new to it (centerfire calibers I mean). Just wondering what other rifles I have been missing out on. I don't want astronomically priced guns like a Steyr AUG or HK, but something reasonable a working man like me can claim to be a reasonably good deal.

I'm open to the Garand. And yes, the M1A is nice. 30.06 will be another caliber I want. What else?

Citadel99
November 19, 2002, 08:32 PM
It's a good start.

Mark

hksigwalther
November 19, 2002, 09:05 PM
You need a bolt action.

Art Eatman
November 19, 2002, 09:54 PM
And reloading equipment!

:D, Art

Mannlicher
November 19, 2002, 10:05 PM
I don't know what a jones is. but. you NEED a M1A

MeekAndMild
November 19, 2002, 10:15 PM
To really appreciate the workmanship of a bolt action one should start with something like an Enfield, an 03 or a M98. Then they can see what a rifle really means.

So get an Enfield and go to the video store and check out the Mel Gibson movie "Gallipoli" to watch while you're cleaning the cosmoline off of it. Or if you get an 03, then check out the Gary Cooper version of "Sergeant York", arguably his best movie.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=97360150476

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/Sergeantyork.htm

Christopher II
November 19, 2002, 10:27 PM
Well, you still could use more .22s. Everybody could use more .22s! ;)

It all depends on what kind of shooting you want to do.

- Chris

labgrade
November 19, 2002, 11:06 PM
Long range .22 centerfire (maybe a .243), scoped bolt gun. Tagging stuff way out here (with zip for recoil)'s a hoot.

liketoshoot
November 19, 2002, 11:21 PM
Oh man, there's a group buy at ar15.com for .458 SOCOM rifles.

Anybody know anything about this caliber. It looks like FUN...

http://www.teppojutsu.com/prod01.htm

Check this out!

http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=150&Product_ID=6776&CATID=215

Sactown
November 19, 2002, 11:37 PM
MeekAndMild has brought up a very dangerous point. Milsurps. Once you start down that road....stock up on gun safes. A lot of good shooting surplus rifles out there. I got myself 2 Enfield No. 4 Mk2s. One's a '59 Faz that was new unissued in the wrapper. Don't discount surplus rifles. You can end up with excellent rifles for relatively little cash.

liketoshoot
November 20, 2002, 12:02 AM
Too late. I'll be looking into milsurp bolts now. I'm serious.

Tweak
November 20, 2002, 12:03 AM
Sactown,

Is your rifle one of the ones under recall over at sigarms.com?

Can't miss that peristent dam pop up.

Rifle battery huh?

Remington 700P .308 Win, Leo M3 Ultra
Colt Government Model AR15A2
Ishy Enfield carbine (work in progress)
Ruger 10/22

Frankenwaffen AR carbine in trunk
Girlfriends Frankenwaffen AR A2 carbine by bed.

ARs and Ishy w/ lights, slings, spare mags and tritium. 700 in drag bag with rangefinder, binos, spotting scope and misc.

If you've got the guns then buy the ammo and go to school.

yorec
November 20, 2002, 12:07 AM
Yup a bolt action centerfire rifle sound like it should fill a niche for ya. Long range shooting is a whole other world...

Then again I think you should get am1 Carbine too - just for the shear fun of it!

Sactown
November 20, 2002, 12:15 AM
Tweak,

Looks like Blaser only put in that defective part in their hunting rifles. The UIT, CISM, LRS/LRS2 are not under recall. I'm safe. Last thing I wanna do is shoot my eye out.

El Rojo
November 20, 2002, 12:21 AM
Oh man! Here is where you are falling short from my modest collection. Attempt to catch up to me as soon as possible, and then surpass me. You should have no problem with this challenge as I am now married and broke.

M1A
M1 Garand
1903 or two
at least two Mosin Nagants
An Enfield design (I have an Ishapor .308 that I might be willing to part with!)
A Mauser in 8mm and 6.5x55
M1 Carbine
Swiss K-31
Any Remington 700 bolt gun, preferably a heavy barrel target gun and a hunting gun in a hunting caliber

I so want an AR-15, but I live in the PRK. My next choice would be one of those French MAS semi-auto's in 7.5 French that are not PRK legal. If you are going to get into older bolt guns and semi-autos, check out how to get a C&R FFL. Here are a couple of threads to lead you in the right direction. Thread 1 (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136929&highlight=C%26R+FFL) Thread 2 (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133210&highlight=C%26R+FFL) Don't thank us, we have only robbed your children's savings or future savings. Now if they want to go to college, they are going to have to finance their own way.

Schuey2002
November 20, 2002, 12:27 AM
Don't go anywhere near a HK 91,93 or 94 if you don't want to fall
in love with *the perfect rifle*....:D

Tweak
November 20, 2002, 03:53 AM
Sactown,

Cool,I never read the window, just Xed it ever time I went through their homepage. Can't find any of them way cool magnetic SIG armorers mats anywhere.

Yar1182
November 20, 2002, 10:09 AM
Everyone should have at least one AK. Cheap ammo, cheap mags, lots of fun to shoot.

Cowdogpete
November 20, 2002, 12:05 PM
You have started down a dark path with temptation at every turn.
Only the strong willed or the financially afluent survive.

Stay away form:

M1A
Kimber 84m
Barrett 50
Weatherbys
Any Remington Heavy Barrell
Ruger 10/22
Any gun chambered in Hornady 17wmr

All gun shops, ammo houses, reloading supply stores.

;) :D :D :D

cheygriz
November 20, 2002, 01:53 PM
TWO AKs, one in 7.62X39 (AK47 clone)and one in 5.54X39(AK74 clone) are a must!!! (lots of good cheap ammo around for both)

After that, a good British No4 Mk1 Enfield, a Kar 98 Mauser, a Mosin-Nagant variation in 7.62X54R, A Swede in 6.5X55, and of course, "The Rifleman's Rifle" the Model 70 winchester.

BusGunner007
November 20, 2002, 02:34 PM
You've got a lever-action .22 (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the firearm that has been in continuous production longer than any other, the Marlin 39...)
You've got an AR-15 in .223 that is an excellent platform for defense as well as being able to change upper receivers to make it a target shooter or anything else you might want, even a .50 BMG!
You've got an SKS in 7.62x39 which can serve for defense and hunting at short range with the approximately equivalent power of a .30-30.
All great choices.

Two guns I can see to round out your long arm collection are a bolt-action rifle and a 12-ga. pump-action shotgun.

I would recommend a .308 in the bolt-action to be able to use surplus and cheap ammo for fun and be able to use 'enhanced power' ammo to up the power to almost .30-06 levels.
A Remington 700 with a heavy bbl., such as the Varmint Synthetic or the Police model would give you an accurate gun for hunting from a fixed position or pleasure shooting from the bench, and it would make a good companion for your AR-15 in the ever popular "SHTF" scenario.

The shotgun could also be a Remington, the 870, which with a bbl. change can be anything from a defense tool to a bird hunting gun to a deer gun with a rifled bbl.
Accessories abound for this firearm, making it one of the most versatile guns you could have in your collection.

With the AR-15 and 700 Heavy Barrel and 870 pump, you'd have quite a setup.
The 700 and 870 could both be purchased 'used well' to save you a lot of money and probably still cost less than the DSA (also a favorite, but, pricey).

I hope your handguns are a compliment to your new found obsession with long guns.

Rifles are fascinating and addictive.
I've spent the last 2-3 years concentrating on them.
It's time to round out my collection of long arms with an SKS (which was my very first rifle that I foolishly traded away in a moment of total insanity!) and get back into buying a couple of more handguns.
My plan is to get my first .45 and a new .22 pistol, both by Beretta, because that is my favorite pistol brand. I like 'em and they fit my hands well. The .45 will be the 8045F Cougar and the .22 will be the new NEOS with the 6" or 7" bbl. The NEOS is being allocated to dealers and one just called to tell me he has the 4" model in to look at. It'll probably be gone before I get to see one!

Good luck on your rifle choices, liketoshoot.
You'll get a LOT of opinions on this board. :D

Art Eatman
November 20, 2002, 03:30 PM
You surely know somebody is an affluent shooting-sports afficianado when you see a real estate ad: "Gunsafe for sale. Attached bedroom, bath, den and garage."

:D, Art

Dr.Rob
November 20, 2002, 05:35 PM
You need a big game rifle. Even if you don't hunt.

Since you have a Marlin, I'd get another Marlin. Say, a 336 .30-30 or an 1895 model in .45-70. The 45-70 has experienced a revival in popularity since Marlin re-introduced the 1895 lever action.

If you want something a little slicker with a lot longer range, let me recommend a Savage Model 116 bolt action rifle in 30-06. It's hardy, accurate, and a little less expensive than a Remington or Winchester for similar features.

liketoshoot
November 20, 2002, 05:42 PM
Actually, another rifle I would like to get is the Marlin lever carbine in .38 Spl/.357 Mag. THAT would be a gun gun.

A bolt action would be okay, but I never really warmed up to them, since hunters use 'em primarily and look down on my evil para-military taste in rifles.

HankL
November 20, 2002, 08:07 PM
liketoshoot, Some of the real military's best work has been done with bolt action rifles. If what you are calling a hunter is giving you grief about your semi autos they are NOT gun people or RTKB people and you need to educate them. :)

S&W 24
November 20, 2002, 08:20 PM
I would STRONGLY recomend a .308/30-06 bolt action rifle of a mauser type. I would say a nice 1903 sporter or military model or a ruger 77 if you want a new weapon or on the cheap is the isreali k98's in.308.