PDA

View Full Version : Walther P-1/P38 9mm (Original German)::: Any Good?

ZipTieNinja
November 17, 2002, 02:55 PM
It is in a paper I got in the mail. Heres the specs and the price..

*Excellent to New Condition
*Lightweight Alloy Frame
*Post-War Production
*One 8rd Mag & Holster
*Steel Top

5" Barrel
8.5" Overall
1.75lbs Weight

Extra Original Walther 8rd mags are $23 each.

Add $15 to Handselect for P-38 Wather Banner
Add $10 to Handselect Month and Year Production

Gun itself is $230.

What do you think? It would be for a female family member who is small, with small hands....

Thanks for the help. :cool:

Dfariswheel
November 17, 2002, 03:11 PM
These are one of the best deals in years. The Walther guns were selling for $400.00-$500.00 just a few years ago. In a couple of years, after the current supply is all sold, the price will start up again.

The guns are very good quality, reasonably accurate, totally reliable with ball ammo, and have a good safety system. Sights are very good, single action tigger is good for a military handgun.

People with small hands will have problems shooting the gun in double action, because of the reach to the trigger. However, the trigger in single action is quite usable.

Since the Walther is a single stack magazine, it's thinner than the double stack mag guns. This will help small shooters.

I'd go for the standard price gun. Unless you have a need for one made in a specific year, the extra price is unnecessary. The only practical reason for the year selection, is that at some point Walther added a steel reinforcing pin to the frame. A later date gun will have this pin. The only advantage to this, is if you intend to fire many thousands of rounds.

Since all of these are Walther made guns, there is lttle sense in paying extra money for a tiny Walther banner stamp.

All in all, I highly recomment these, their a tremendous buy.

James K
November 17, 2002, 09:53 PM
Just in case there is any confusion, all those are post-war guns with the alloy frames. None are wartime P.38's, no matter what the term "original" was meant to convey.

That being said, they are OK guns and all I have seen have been retrofitted with the steel locking ramp. Dimensions and general description are the same as the wartime P.38, though few parts intechange.

Aside from markings, there is no difference between the P1 and the post-war P.38 except that the P1 is Parkerized and the P.38, which was made for the police and civilian market, is normally blued.

Jim

jimturner
November 17, 2002, 10:37 PM
I've had 2 P38's one is a 1943 Mauser that I've had for 30+ years that has never failed,but I did have one of the post WWII P 38's with the alloy frame dated 1961 that looked perfect but would not extract the empty shell about 40% of the time . Don't expect any of them to feed hollowpoints.I think there are a lot better choices for handguns out there.Just my .02 worth.

denfoote
November 17, 2002, 11:42 PM
GO FOR IT!!!!! :D :) :cool:

ZipTieNinja
November 18, 2002, 01:17 AM
Well, for the price it seems good...

Whats this about ball ammo only? Will 9mm hollow points feed through it?

Oh yea, what about parts, would they be available? Cheap?

If it will not feed hollow points, its only good for plinking....
I have shot at coke cans full of water with ball ammo, and it left a 9mm hole in one side, and a 9mm hole in the other!! just like if you shot it empty... I also use .22 Long rifle on said cans, and they explode.... No hollow points, no deal...

Thanks for the help again. Right now it seems 50/50....

radom
November 18, 2002, 02:04 AM
one nice feature is its very easy too pull the slide back too. It takes much less effort than most other 9mms. Mine seems to shoot HP ammo just fine too.

Tropical Z
November 18, 2002, 02:17 AM
What year did the steel reinforcing pin come along?I've heard that you'll be lucky to get 3000 rounds through one that doesn't have it before the frame cracks.I DON'T know how much truth there is to this however.

radom
November 18, 2002, 04:49 AM
Its not a issue of the frame cracking but the frame wears where the barrel hit the frame to lock up and the gun just eats its self up real fast. About 1976 or so was when they put in the steel lug pin. If its a pre pinned model its just a looker and not a shooter.

kahrma
November 18, 2002, 12:12 PM
Mine shoots every type of ammo 100%. I even shoot alloy cased Blazer and steel cased Wollf in it with no problems what so ever. I think it will shoot hollow points just fine but of course you should try for youself.

I got mine for my wife who really doesn't like most guns because of the crappy ergonamics. She likes the Walther PPK and the Walther P-38/P-1 the best. She also liked my Kahr E-9. The P-38/P-1 is a good choice for shooters with smaller hands but the DA trigger is quite heavy. Mine is very accurate when I do my part, it is probably the most accurate 9mm I have shot.

$230.00 is a downright steal! But I don't suggest that anyone buy any of these guns because that will only drive up the prices for me;) I paid more than that and I felt like I got a bargin, I wish I had waited until now to buy:o

Walt Sherrill
November 18, 2002, 02:01 PM
If you're just getting one because you like the "look," go for it..

But, you'd probably be better off spending an extra $150-$200 and finding a true WWII model.

The WWII models will hold their value better (may even appreciate in value, over time), will be more durable, and are just as accurate. (The ones I've owned and shot haven't been all that accurate. I'm sure there some accurate ones out there; one shooter already responding here has testified to that effect...)

My old Luger would shoot rings around my P-38s... and the trigger was far, far better.

If you just want a good 9mm for a reasonable price, look at the DaeWoo DP-51 being offered by Century International Arms. A good, solid, reliable, and durable gun. Accepts S&W 59/69 mags (cheap hi-caps).

You can also seek out a used Star Firestar Plus.

Or look for some of the used S&W 59xx and 69xx guns being offered for under $250. Good, solid guns with lots of potential.

(The DaeWoo, Firestar Plus, and S&W gun will accept hi-caps, and they're still reasonably priced.)

jimturner
November 18, 2002, 02:54 PM
I think Kahrma has got a really good one.The WWII model I've got is not all that accurate but it will feed fmj's all day long but not aluminium cased Blazers.I would look at another brand if I wanted a self defense gun there is a lot of them to chose from like the Makarovs, not a 9mm but works every time.

denfoote
November 18, 2002, 04:21 PM
Mine's a West German military P1 from 1980. It feeds hollowpoints all day long!! :)
Yes, I have carried it with complete confidance!!

BigG
November 18, 2002, 06:42 PM
I think they are a good buy just to set one or two aside for a rainy day. I got a feeling that once the supplies dry up they will be back in the $4-500 range.

This is my chance to get a gun like when my dad got his pristine M1 Carbine for $20 from the CMP. :D

Some of the WWII era P38s are pretty shoddy. You need to examine it if you are buying it for a shooter.

Like Walt said, the Luger will shoot rings around a P38, but then I think the Luger will shoot rings around most anything.

kahrma
November 18, 2002, 09:08 PM
"The WWII models will hold their value better (may even appreciate in value, over time), will be more durable, and are just as accurate."

I have to disagree with that statement. The WWII P-38s are already at the price they should be. The post war P-1s are selling for a little over $200 and they will definatly go up in value as soon as suppy runs dry. How do I know this, simple, they are 9mm (common and cheap), they are a brand name (Walther), the shoot good (at least as far as I have heard and mine does), they are a classic.

Imagine if all of a sudden 40,000 BHPs were imported to the U.S. and the price dropped to $200 a piece, that would be a good deal until supply ran dry and then....

BigG
November 19, 2002, 10:00 AM
Think you got it figured, Kahrma. You and me will at least be happy a few years from now. ;)