PDA

View Full Version : Russian Makarov

Freightman
November 14, 2002, 10:56 AM
Found one at a Archery store yesterday couldn't believe the price he had on it $150, so I grabbed it up.
The gun is as new as the mags don't even have any marks on them and the feed ramp has no marks on it. Had to clean the cosmoline out of the inside and the firing pin channel .t functions perfect. Will go to the range today if I get the Living room painted.

Snowdog
November 14, 2002, 11:08 AM
I'm happy for you. I guess yours has the IJ-70 etched on the side of the slide as well.
I love mine except for the adjustable sights, which are a joke IMO (possibly a extra point needed for importation).

My Russian Makarov hates CCI Blazers and loves Norinco 95gr FMJs. I'm interested in hearing how yours does at the range.

I put some Hogue Handall Jr grip sleeves on mine and love them.

Kevinch
November 14, 2002, 11:35 AM
I love mine except for the adjustable sights, which are a joke IMO (possibly a extra point needed for importation)

Correct Snowdog - that is how the gun was fitted to comply with US import laws.

My first Makarov was a Russian commercial model, which the adjustable sight model is. The Russian military model (of which I also have a sample of) is equipped with the fixed rear sight. As opposed to the Bulgarian milsurp which is relatively easy to find, the Russian milsurp gun is rare & commands a premium price.

However, they all shoot the same - which is to say they shoot great!

November 14, 2002, 12:03 PM
I own a number of Makarovs including a Russian commercial model with the adjustable sights. I think the adjustable sights are terrific. I bought the gun mainly because it had adjustable sights and have been happy with it ever since.

jmlv
November 14, 2002, 12:24 PM
fitted it with a set of pearce grips and its much more comfortable to shoot. mine cost me $159 new when they first started coming into the country. It shoots everything I shove in the magazines(I have about 12) S&B,Blazor, norinco, whatever. Never a problem the gun just plain works. As to the rear adj sight I happen to like it but for those who don't makorov.com has a solid alum replacement that drops in the slide perfectly. They even give you a second copy of the funky screw used to hold the sight in place(these have to be specially made as this screw is unlike an other ever made by man). The sight looks really good and is already melted from the getgo. great carry sight. http://www.Makorov.com has a lot of stuff for your mak(and cz52's as well) and they are great folks to deal with. I love my mak

Freightman
November 14, 2002, 01:46 PM
Yes mine has the adjustable sight I had a EG that I let a friend of mine talk me out of should have told him a flat no. I do not intend to let this one go.

Freightman
November 15, 2002, 12:19 AM
Went to the range with some Hornady XTP's they all fed no ftf/fte good groups to 15 yds (defensive range) I am very happy with it.
Also took my other Commie gun a CZ52 with my handloads Hornady XTP's all in the X ring to 25yds. What a gun WOW!!!

eyeballz
November 15, 2002, 12:25 AM
Good going! I love my Russian Mak.

7th Fleet
November 15, 2002, 09:35 PM
I have a Russian .380 high capacity Makarov and it has those cheesey adjustable sights too. For those that don't know it, you can use single stack 9mm Makarov magazines in the double stack high capacity Russian guns.

7th

Apple a Day
November 16, 2002, 09:43 AM
Got one, have had it for 8 years. It eats everything. I just with the dadgum sights were bigger. I painted mine with flourescent paint, which helps.

Druggie
November 16, 2002, 07:33 PM
I just bought a Bulgarian Mak. It's hard to tell if it was "unissued" or not--I did research the serial number and found out that the gun was manufactured in 1979.

I spent an entire evening cleaning away the cosmoline (a PAIN) from all areas of the gun. I finally used GunScrubber throughout the entire weapon, then MiliTech oiled everything. I was in Dallas for a five day meeting last week--took it to the range on my evening off.

I put 150 rounds of "Nimrod" FMJ ammo through it (German) and 50 rounds if Silver Bear JHP's. The gun worked like a charm. I had two feeding failures, but I know it was because the gun was FILTHY inside from that nasty German ammo. GREAT little gun--I will probably have the entire gun (inside and out) hard chromed by Virgil Tripp.

The only thing I didn't like about the Bulgie Mak was the pitiful sights. They are small, they are black, and virtually unusable. The front blade is fixed; it looks like the rear sight is removable. MY QUESTION: can the rear sight on the Bulgarian Mak be removed and replace with a REAL sight? Something with dots? Something you can actually SEE?

You Bulgie owners...PLEASE COME FORWARD and help me out with this one. Thanks.

:D

Zundfolge
November 16, 2002, 07:38 PM
Druggie, I just got the slide back from Makarov.com with new Novak sights

http://www.makarov.com/graphics/custom/gfmakslideLS01.jpg

Cost me $120

http://www.makarov.com/slide/index.html

lee n. field
November 16, 2002, 07:41 PM
Re the Russian adjustable sight: Makarov.com has a sturdy replacement fixed sight available for this. 45FRNs.

Get the Pearce grips, a 19lb. Wolff spring and a Falco holster (from makarov.com), a mag loader and some extra magazines, and you'll be all set.

Also, the AGI Makarov armorer's course tape is good.

Kahrma from Shooters
November 16, 2002, 08:03 PM
I found a fixed sight Russian for $139 in as new cond. Should I buy it? are they really worth more???

Zundfolge
November 16, 2002, 10:41 PM
Karma, if its in good shape its a good deal at $139 ... I'd snag that puppy up quick.

Freightman
November 17, 2002, 02:45 PM
If you don't want it I will make arangements to get it just send the address to me. :) :) :) :)

Sierra
November 17, 2002, 02:56 PM
Kahrma - Jump on it. If it is Russian it will have a proof mark that looks like a triangle with a circle around it. (If it is Bulgarian it will have a "10" with a double ring around the number) If it has fixed sights it is a military model which is much more desireable. Bill Clinton cut a deal with the Russians in which they agreed not to export any military/police pistols to the US, thus the increased desirability of the fixed sight Russian. To get around this ban, two US importers took Russian military Maks and overstamped them with a "Made in Bulgaria" stamp. Those had the fixed sights and the Russian proof marks. Those importers got caught by the ATF. At a gunshow I went to yesterday in Portland Oregon, a new condition Russian with the Fixed sights was for sale for $595. Doubt if they will get that but $400 is reasonable if it is in like new condition. If the pistol you saw is a Bulgarian then $139 is still a good price.

silkeo sullivan
November 21, 2002, 01:10 AM
this is a sweet little gun and accurate and is a good buy

Kahrma from Shooters
November 21, 2002, 02:32 AM
Thanks Guys, I'll go take another look at the Russian.