PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39mm in bolt action?

DAL
April 5, 2000, 04:26 AM
Do any of you know of anyone who makes a bolt action rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm? Someone told me Ruger makes (made?) one, but I didn't see anything about it on Ruger's website.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

Stephen A. Camp
April 5, 2000, 05:34 AM
Hello. Ruger used to make a bolt action in the 7.62X39 and I think CZ does now or is going to in their CZ M527. The Interarms Mark X used to be offered in a "mini-Mauser" design for this round. That's about the best I can do. Best.

gunmart
April 5, 2000, 08:14 AM
good news.cz is making a cz550 in 762x39.its about time someone other than ruger comes out with a spoting rifle in this caliber.ruger had a very limited run with the 762x39 in i think 1994.i only saw one of them and i think they all went to ellett brothers and cdnn.they have long sinnce been gone.

chadintex
April 5, 2000, 10:05 AM
I remember a while back the Sportsmans Guide was offering Mausers in 7.62x39 that they had converted, I don't know what the quality was like, but the prices weren't bad.

------------------
Beware the three D's: The dumb, drunk, and deranged. [email protected]

Long Path
April 5, 2000, 10:54 AM
But be wary! It seems to me that some of the bolt-action 7.62X39's have .308 bores. Reportedly you can shoot the .308 round through the standard .311/.310 bore and obtain reasonable accuracy, but the .311/310 through the .308 bore yields over-high pressures.

Nestor Rivera
April 5, 2000, 11:35 AM
over at Mosin-net http://www.Mosin-Nagant.net/Interactive-Area.html we have been discussing the options in the M-43 conversions. The most promissing and easy solution is the MAC http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm for the 308 and 30-06 I belive that they have made in the past 7.65 Arg adapter (the bore is already 3.11) Personally I am probably going to convert a Chilian M95 from .308 to the M-43 (7.62x39) an shoot primarly hand loaded .308 bullets. The presure problem in such a rifle is greatly reduced due to the "freebore" much like a weathreby.

[This message has been edited by Nestor Rivera (edited April 05, 2000).]

DAL
April 7, 2000, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

gunmart, I looked at CZ's website but I didn't see anything about the 550 in 7.62x39mm, but maybe the site is not up to date. Could you tell me where you found out that the CZ550 will be offered in 7.62x39mm? I'd like to check it out. Thanks.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

gunmart
April 7, 2000, 07:34 PM
i saw it on a link to j@g wholesale in presscot az.they will come in .308 diamiter as did the ruger so the cheap surplus is out.you will have to use rem umc and rem sp ammo.

DAL
April 8, 2000, 12:39 PM
All of that cheap surplus ammo out there is one of the main reasons I want a 7.62X39mm with a .311 bore. Sure, I can reload for a .308 bore, and maybe I could make real accurate loads, but for general plinking the cheap surplus ammo would satisfy me. If I'm going to have to reload to feed a bolt action I might as well choose another caliber (.243?).

It's amazing to me that someone doesn't offer a bolt action for this round with the correct bore size. I'd think there would be a decent demand for one, but maybe I'm just projecting my desire for this type of gun on the market.
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be content with my (as yet unfired) Russian SKS. I was hoping to keep it in NIB condition, but, alas, it is not to be.
DAL

------------------

gunmart
April 8, 2000, 05:55 PM
you could rebarrell your already owned bolt gun with a walther barrell for about $150 in the .311 dia.

Rusty S
April 14, 2000, 09:00 PM
On the CZ527 being made in 7.62x39, click on:

http://www.jgsales.com/CZRIFLE.html

and scroll down to the 527 chart. The very bottom line of the chart reads:

"CZ527 Carbine/CZ#PCIDTAL/7.62x39/available June 2000/$429.95"

As far as firing milsurp 311 ammo, I've no idea what bore CZ will use. I do know that P. O. Ackley did some tests swaging bullets down by modification of the barrel ( essentially using the freebore to taper down the bullet during firing as does the forcing cone of a revolver IIRC ). Would some lapping of a 308 barrel's throat by a 'smith be able to create such a freebore/taper that would reduce pressures with 311 ammo to within safe ranges?

kframe19
April 15, 2000, 02:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Long Path:
But be wary! It seems to me that some of the bolt-action 7.62X39's have .308 bores. Reportedly you can shoot the .308 round through the standard .311/.310 bore and obtain reasonable accuracy, but the .311/310 through the .308 bore yields over-high pressures.

[/quote]

Longpath,

The Ruger 7.62x39s have .308 bores and fire the .311 rounds very nicely. They use a more gradual forcing cone to squeeze the bullet down over a longer distance rather than forcing it to go from .311 to .308 very abruptly.

That seems to be pretty much the standard way of handling this problem.

In my experience with the Ruger semi-auto and the bolt action, I've seen no signs of over pressure when using surplus ammo that has .311 bullets. --Mike

k in AR
April 15, 2000, 08:30 PM
I own both a Mini-30 and a Ruger MKII in 7.62x39.

Mini-30 is just what you would expect accuracy wise, 4" at 100 yards. But because of the long "forcing cone" throat, I have no pressure problems with *most any ammo from .308 up to the .311 import stuff. The only time I had any pressure problems was with *PMC & that stuff had .308 bullets. It was just too hot. One other issue with a Mini-30 is the firing pin hits rather lightly & thus is not reliable with the really hard primers on some of the military imports.

My M-77 MKII in 7.62x39 is totally accurate(yes Ruger made 1000 of them for Davidson's to distribuite in 1999)
In fact it actually shoot a little tighter group with the .310 Federal ammo than with the .308 offerings. I working up handloads to try & get the .308 accurace better. The 3 shot groups with .310 run well under 1 inch on a good day. Only one problem with this rifle: that "noodle" thin UltraLight barrel heats real fast. Of course once the barrel gets good & warm the accurace falls off very quickly. But for hunting or real "slow-fire" groups, it is very nice.
I haven't tried this gun with the military style import ammo to see if the firing pin will handle those hard primers. However, It hasn't had a missfire with any of the "regular" import stuff I have tried. Accurace with inport .311 ammo is a little over 2 inches, but no pressure problems
k