PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Police

cratz2
November 12, 2002, 02:51 PM
Well, I've had a Savage 12FV and currently have a 10FP both in 223. I'm wanting to get a bit higher quality piece and have narrowed it down to the Winchester Stealth, Remington 700 VS and the 700 Police.

They all seem roughly comparable except for price. I do think that I like the stock of the Police model the best. Almost ready to buy one but I haven't been able to actually handle the Winchester. Basically just looking for the right deal to come along on a Remington.

Will mostly be killing paper out to 200 yards. Only animals I can think of that will be taken will be crows and 'coons. Have other calibers for longer range.

Any reason I might be missing to avoid the Police model?

Skullboy
November 12, 2002, 03:18 PM
Cratz2, You didn't mention whether you are looking at new or used Remingtons.

If you are looking at used 700PSSs, if it has the detatchable mag, make sure it feeds properly.There were issues with them feeding the second round from the mag.But not on all 700PSSs. I own one of the first PSS-DMs and have had no problems with it feeding rounds.If you are buying new, this won't be a problem, as the DMs are no longer made.

If you like the PSS stock, I would reccomend the Remington.Lots of accessories for them, and a lot of good gunsmiths out there with experiece tuning/building 700s.

That being said, The VS is also a great gun and cheaper then the PSS.They are basically the same barrelled action, with different finishes. It's stock is a lot thinner in the handgrip area. HTH.

Skullboy.

Watch-Six
November 12, 2002, 03:35 PM
I like the 700PSS. An excellent rifle for the price. Watch-Six

M700
November 12, 2002, 03:54 PM
The 700P is a great gun and should serve you well. That being said, some people do not like the palm swells on the stock. If these are not your cup of tea, you can save yourself a few bucks and get the 700 VS. The barreled action is identical with the exception of the black finished bolt on the police model. I happen to like the palm swells personally and love my 700P to death. I played with a Stealth before I bought my Remington and they both feel exactly the same. It's just a matter of personal preference between Winchester and Remington.

Good Luck.

cheygriz
November 12, 2002, 03:58 PM
Cratz2,

Any of these three will serve you well. I prefer Winchester Model 70s to Remington 700s, but that's a matter of taste only. I would be perfectly comfortable with any of the three guns you are considering.

Having expressed my preference for Winchesters, I must also admit that my Remington 700 Sendero in .300 Winmag is one of my all time favorite rifles.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

4V50 Gary
November 12, 2002, 04:47 PM
I prefer the Varminter over the PSS. Slimmer stock, easier to carry and just as accurate.

cratz2
November 12, 2002, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. By the way, I guess the one I'm looking at is the '700 Police' which I guess is the same as the '700PSS' except has the floorplate rather than the detachable mag. No difference to me. Paper doesn't shoot back.

I definately like the palmswell. I also like the widened forend. Think it would be great for sandbags. I shoot about equally off sandbags and off bipod. I'd love to get a stock like this for my Savage .308 but I'm not quite ready to spend $250-300 for one.

In general, I like the way the heavier Winchesters handle to the Remingtons - I have a Laredo in 7mm Rem Mag. But I just love the stock on the Police. Anyone know of a source for discounted HS stocks for Winchesters or Savages?

Again, thanks for all the replies so far.

RTownsend
November 12, 2002, 09:12 PM
The Sharpshooter Varmint/Tactical Savage stock seems to be very much like an HS stock. They are $125 out of the mold, $175 filled and Primed, $229 painted. I love mine!

Robby from Long Island
November 12, 2002, 10:11 PM
I also have a Remington 700PSS in .223. Like a lot of the fellows who already posted said, you have to get used to the palmswell.

Overall, I think it's a great gun and when I do my part I can shoot 5 shot 3/4" groups all day with it and I'm not a particularly good shot anymore.

Whatever you get, enjoy it.

Safe shooting.

ronin308
November 12, 2002, 10:58 PM
I think the palm swell is great. I probably have this opinion because I keep my right thumb on the right side of the stock.

BusGunner007
November 12, 2002, 11:15 PM
I think the palm swell is great. I probably have this opinion because I keep my right thumb on the right side of the stock.

That's me, too.

LevelHead
November 13, 2002, 12:02 AM
Don't think this was mentioned yet, but all new Remingtons come with that goofy action lock built in - blech-.

The PSS does NOT ship with this "feature".

I guess the police are safer then us "normal" people. :rolleyes:

FWIW I just ordered a PSS in .308 myself.

Gewehr98
November 13, 2002, 12:05 AM
But once I learned to keep my thumb on the right side of the pistol grip, it's worked just fine. The 700PSS is a great gun, mine surprised me with it's excellent accuracy right out of the box! :D

MADman
November 13, 2002, 10:36 AM
I went thru the same dilema not last year and decided to buy the Winchester. Of course, it helped that I got a much better price when compared to the Remington.

It's a heavy gun, but it shoots up a storm. Mine especially likes Nosler 50gr Ballistic Tip bullets. It'll place 5 shots into a dime at 100yds all day long. Makes quick work of ground squirrels too. No regrets on my choice, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a 700PSS either.

I've even been thinking of another Winchester 70 Stealth in .308. If it shoots as well as my .223, it will be quite a bit of fun.

--Mark

ronin308
November 13, 2002, 10:51 AM
A good bit of people (formerly myself included) hold the stock like they're gonna hit a homerun or somethin' ;)

cratz2
November 13, 2002, 11:36 AM
Well, I need to go ship out a gun today but I may come home with a new paper killer.

Thanks again for all of the response.

cratz2
November 13, 2002, 11:40 AM
By the way, does anyone know the twist rate on the 700 Police in .223? Is it 1 in 12" like most Remingtons?

Watch-Six
November 13, 2002, 12:14 PM
The old ones used 1:12, but the current ones are 1:9. Watch-Six

cratz2
November 13, 2002, 06:18 PM
The old ones used 1:12, but the current ones are 1:9. Watch-Six

Oooo... How can I tell what a particular one has? Should it be in the manual somewhere? Should the 1:9 be able to stabilize 75 gr ammo?

cratz2
November 15, 2002, 12:28 AM
Newest shoot-em-up utensil...

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//DCP_1314a.jpg

It does have a 1 in 9" twist.

Jagster
November 16, 2002, 12:31 AM
I hope I'm not confusing you more, but have you looked at the Remington 700-LTR?

If you are not going to be using it over 400yrds the LTR is an awesome gun. It is basically a 700P with a 20" fluted barrel and is much lighter.

I have both guns and the only real need for the 26" barrel on the 700P is that when you start pushing 400+ yards you will benefit from the extra velocity the long barrel gives you.

I hope I didn't throw a wrench into a set plan, but I just didn't see it mentioned and it sounds like it would fit your needs quite nicely...

I would give one a look and see if it feels like what you want. I believe they are made in both .308 and .223 and they are every bit as nice as the 700P...IMHO They just have slightly less range capability.