PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Louisiana TFL'ers...

Preacherman
November 10, 2002, 12:36 AM
I'd like to hear from any and all TFL'ers in Louisiana and adjacent areas (east Texas, southern Arkansas, Mississippi and perhaps Alabama). This is concerning an idea that Carlyle (SouthLa1) and I have been kicking around.

1. We'd like to look at the possibility of a Louisiana TFL Shoot after hunting season closes.

2. If there are enough of us in Louisiana, I dare to hope that we could host a TFL Mardi Gras shoot in or near New Orleans next year, and invite all our shootin' cousins (especially the Tennessee crowd - could New Orleans survive Tamara, Oleg, Runt et. al. in a group??? Watch the newspaper headlines next Mardi Gras for details!)

How about it, guys and girls? Please post responses here, and I'll collect your e-mail addresses from your profiles for updates, as well as perhaps posting them in a future thread.

Guntalk
November 10, 2002, 12:03 PM
Up here in the Piney Woods, we still have a few gun owners and shooters.

I'm in Natchitoches.

We have a nice range here that we could use, should you want to.

I don't go to Mardi Gras. Large crowds of very drunk people are dangerous by definition.

critter44
November 10, 2002, 01:00 PM
I'm in! Live in extreme SE AR.

keano44
November 10, 2002, 06:16 PM
I'm interested, Preacherman. Will watch for updates.

BayouBlaster
November 10, 2002, 06:49 PM
I'm definitely interested. Not very many good ranges in the N.O. area though.

Gary H
November 10, 2002, 06:53 PM
AND REMEMBER TO VOTE!!!!!!!!!

stickslinger
November 10, 2002, 07:10 PM
I'm in!

freedomlover
November 10, 2002, 07:14 PM
I don't live in one of the above mentioned "adjacent areas," but I spend about 2 weeks of every month working in the N.O. area. Give me a heads-up regarding the time/place of this shindig, and I'll plan accordingly...would like to be able to match some faces up with these TFL names!

Regards,
freedomlover

critter44
November 10, 2002, 08:41 PM
Hay, what are we gonna shoot? Rifles, handguns, milsurps, scatterguns, punkin chunkin guns, all of the above? Oh well, it's ALL fun!

We'll keep an eye out.

HankL
November 12, 2002, 07:44 PM
Perhaps we could get one of the admin types to move this thread to RANGE REPORTS .

I'm just across the river and would love to get together with you guys. Hot boudain and hot barrels sounds good to me. :D

Southla1
November 12, 2002, 07:50 PM
I am back home for a few days due to a death in the family. Count me in IF I am home at the time. I am going to check on ranges in the Lafayette Area. Mardi Gras could be a problem in the New Orleans area............booked up rooms, crowded roads (even in the outlying areas) etc. Even in the Lafayette area Mardi Gras is growing by leaps and bounds.................could run into problems there also. I am going back offshore Friday but should be in the week of Thanksgiving.................will check into a few places then.

HankL
November 14, 2002, 07:36 PM
George, Thank you for moving this thread over here.

Gomez
November 15, 2002, 11:45 AM
Sounds like fun. I'm in.

NBergeron
November 15, 2002, 04:26 PM
That sounds like fun, if you are looking for a Lafayette range, Barney's is an indoor range (25 yds., rifle, pistol, rentals). If shotgun seems more everybody's style, Vermillion River Gun Club would probably be a good choice.

HankL
November 15, 2002, 07:20 PM
:confused: I was thinking about rifle, 600 yds or so. :)

thumbtack
November 16, 2002, 11:41 PM
I am interested.

NBergeron
November 17, 2002, 01:00 AM
I don't know of any 600 yard ranges in Louisiana. I've heard that Clark and Mickulek's place in shreveport has 2-300 yard range, and also that there's a range in gonzales (or thereabouts) that does a lot of highpower and also has a 2-300 yard range. There might a 600 range that I'm not aware of, if anyone knows of such a range, that would be a great place to start.

HankL
November 19, 2002, 07:27 PM
100 to 200 yards would be great.

Gomez
November 19, 2002, 07:38 PM
The only long distance ranges that I'm aware of belong to the Military Department. Camp Beuregard being the most likely canidate. But, of course, they cost money.

Sherbourne Wildlife Management Area, outside of Krotz Springs, has a public 100Yd rifle range and 50Y pistol range. It's a totally open range with camping available, picnic tables etc.

There's a private range out towards Clinton, but it's primarily for pistol. It would cost money, but ensure privacy.

I believe there is another WMA range somewhere around Slaughter, but I'm not sure how it is set-up.

Also, there is the Acension Parish Sheriff's Office range just off of I-10 at Gonzales that has a pretty nice pistol and rifle set-up. It's very popular and open dates book very quickly and very far in advance, so I don't know how it would work.

That's about it, off the top of my head, for ranges around me.
If I think of more, I'll post them.

Preacherman
November 26, 2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll be getting together with Southla1 on this, and we'll try to get some more information posted on this Forum by early December, all being well. Watch for a new thread on the subject, and if anyone else wants to be included, please post on this thread so that we know about you.

God bless, and a happy Thanksgiving to you all. (I'm working that day... :( )

Southla1
November 26, 2002, 10:45 PM
Preacherman is right.................let us know if you are interested. I was very happy to see all the Louisiana members that did post here. As great a hunting and shooting state as this is I am proud to see a lot of members from here.

I may be scarce for a while................got called back to work by the company I retired from in 1999 (ChevronTexaco). I told them to make an offer and they did and I went :D.

The biggest problem may be finding a range. The Iberia Parish Sheriff's dept. has one but its small and not suitable at all. Its on the parish prison grounds, and even though it was supposed to be open to the public I am not sure if it is or not.

I was offshore for the last 2 weeks and came in last Saturday. Will be leaving again on the morning of the 2nd. for about 3 weeks or so. Will take Christmas week off then go back out till mid Jan or so. After that it will be on and off (more off than on I hope ;))

It was so good to be back there again, after 10 minutes on the platform it was as if i had never left. I got the same feeling early in 2001 when I went to work in Syria.............the first rig I stepped on it was as if I had never left :).

When I am in I am willing to do what I can to make this a success.

God bless all of you................and have a great Thanksgiving,

Now I have 3 whole pork loins to stuff. I am going to pot roast them tomorrow so they will be very tender and tasty for Thursday.

Cest Ce Bon!!!!!!!

Had to edit this..................wife just got in from the store with TWO more prok loins...............said she had to be sure there was enough! :D Oh well 5 cooks just as easy as 3 just need 2 more pots!

sm
November 27, 2002, 12:55 AM
I might find myself able to attend. Just found out I may be in that area in Dec. Spring semester starts Jan 11, its a maybe. I've been craving Gumbo ;)

Depends on a job thingy.

Jamie Young
November 27, 2002, 06:28 PM
A word of advice: Once you pick a date, put the date and location under your signature, so that everytime you post on TFL, you put up a flag for local members to see.

Glad to see more and more TFL members are getting together.:cool:

Gomez
November 30, 2002, 08:10 PM
Driving back into town, I drove past/remembered the existance of another National Guard base which could work. Camp Villere is south of Hammond, down towards Slidell. It's probably as close to NOLA as you're going to get around Mardi Gras and it has a full compliment of ranges, as I recall.

NBergeron
December 20, 2002, 08:12 PM
Well guys, are we still going to get a shoot together? I would still like to get this shoot together, what do ya'll think?

Southla1
December 21, 2002, 11:44 AM
I am even more than ever all for it now!

HankL
December 23, 2002, 01:29 PM
Keep me posted.

freedomlover
December 27, 2002, 06:24 PM
I'm still in--my email address is in my profile. Looking forward to meeting y'all!

NBergeron
December 30, 2002, 03:19 AM
How about we continue this thread over in the Stratigies and Tactics section of The High Road?

Southla1
December 30, 2002, 08:50 PM
Sounds good to me!

NBergeron
December 31, 2002, 06:04 AM
Thread is now up and running on THR in Strategies and Tactics!