PDA

View Full Version : How's Sig 232 as a CCW?

HandgunShooter
November 9, 2002, 03:27 AM
How's Sig 232 as a CCW? Is 380 reasonably adaquate? If not, what would be a reasonable CCW in the same size/price/weight/conceallability range?

GTKrockeTT
November 9, 2002, 05:00 AM
give the kahr mk9 some consideration. if you're concerned about weight, and willing to wait until march 2003, kahr's pm9 (polymer) will be on cali's DOJ list of available guns.

LF&Co. MG
November 9, 2002, 06:34 AM
I think concealed carry was it's purpose. It is essentially a Walther clone. Sig really doesn't build any junk I can think of. The .380 cartridge is considered marginal by many, but frankly I don't want to get shot with anything. I think too often we as gun guys want the perfect gun for that mythical enraged 6'6" 330lbs steroid, crack, addict. In reality, the .380 and the Sig should do fine for any real world threat you might encounter. I have several .45s with their vaunted "knock down", but in the summer, in shorts...sorry, even the Kimber Ultra is too big. I carry a .32 Seecamp. As mentioned in the last post, Kahr does make quality weapons in the same size and weight as the Sig. You just need to see waht works for you. Guns are like women, every man has his preferences.

VVG
November 9, 2002, 07:00 AM
The P232 is one of a number of quality .380's on the market. Similar pistols include the S&W / Walther’s PPK/S-1, the Bersa Thunder, the North American Arms Guardian, the Beretta 84/85 series, and the CZ 83.

Those above aren't a lot lighter than most compact 9mm's, but are substantially shorter and thinner. Not always, as the Beretta 84 is double stack.

The P232 is a very high quality pistol, most versions are lighter, and you can buy them in stainless. Check out http://home.t-online.de/home/cswimm/sig/sig.htm#p230

There are about 20 threads on sigforum.com about them.

M1911
November 9, 2002, 12:16 PM
The 232 is a fine gun. I'm not a big fan of .380 as a cartridge. One thing I don't like about the 232 is the magazine release on the heel -- it's slower than a thumb button and I've trained to use a thumb button.

Personally, I prefer a Kahr MK9 to the 232. The MK9 is smaller than a 232 -- small enough to fit in a pocket (the 232 is not for me), but is 9mm which is a much more potent cartridge.

M1911

EOD Guy in VA
November 9, 2002, 01:03 PM
For only 0.4 inch more in height (all other dimensions are the same) you can get a P239 in 9mm, .40S&W, or .357SIG. Amazingly enough, the P239 is smaller than the Beretta 84/85

jar
November 9, 2002, 03:20 PM
Of all of my semi-automatics, of any caliber, the one that I end up carrying most is my SiG 230. It loves nice hot ammo, is scary accurate, super reliable and very light weight. I have the alloy framed blued model and it's been my constant companion for years. Of all my SiGs, it would undoubtably be the last to go. I haved not even considered switching from it to ANY of the other new micro-sized pistols.

Currently my 230 wears some Nills grips and lives in a High Noon Holsters Mr. Softy. This is a great SD setup.

http://www.fototime.com/9AB7C3B90E876D2/standard.jpg

Nick96
November 9, 2002, 11:04 PM
Where I think the P-232 carves out a nitch is:
* The blue (alloy frame) model is very light - about 16oz empty.
* It's a natural pointer and very accurate
* Large enough grip to shoot comfortably and quickly
* Very reliable

The down sides are:
* It's a little large compared to some .380's (and 9mm's). But really about the same as a J frame S&W revolver.
* It's pretty expensive (you can get a Bersa Thunder for about half the price).
* .380 is considered by some as a minimal defense round.

Walther P99
November 10, 2002, 12:58 AM
The P230/P232 is an excellent gun for concealed carry. I carried it for several years before I moved up to 9mm. I do agree with those who feel that .380 is a marginal defense round at best. But to each his own.

Also, since the alloy P230 only weighs 16oz and blowback-operated, I find the recoil to be much more noticeable than any of the 9mms that I've owned...

1911A1 fan
November 10, 2002, 04:00 AM
The Sig 232 is a great gun. But IMHO there are a lot of 9mms out there that are the same size,why not go with one of those? Because of more states passing ccw laws, the gun makers have came up with a lot of full power compacts. I think the day of the 380 has passed.

Captain Bligh
November 10, 2002, 09:30 AM
The 232 is not the gun I most like to carry, but it is the smallest gun that I do carry. I like it because it is quite reliable and it is very thin, which aids concealment. I use it when I am most concerned about not wanting to print. You have had other suggestions of good guns, but they are noticebly thicker.

RJ

Laz
November 10, 2002, 08:15 PM
I don't agree that the day of the .380 is past, although it is certainly not in its hey-day anymore. To me, if the arrival of the small-framed .357s has not obsoleted the small-framed .38s (as they have not), then the arrival of some small 9mm pistols of varying quality and materials have not obsoleted some proven and quality designs. A steel framed Sig-232 fully loaded weighs no more than my empty K-9. An alloy 232 weighs about 20-21 ounces fully loaded. Few of the small 9s are that light and few are as narrow through the slide, not to mention the smaller slide due to the blowback design (no under-barrel guide rod), and the inherent practical accuracy of the fixed-barrel, blowback design. Not to mention, some folks just prefer hammer-fired pistols. Less powerful, yes, but they still have many positive traits, IMO, and if someone deems them "enough gun" for the perceived threat, I think a lot of folks may well still choose them. Additionally, the technology of downsizing 9s is beginning to allow the downsizing of .380s, e.g. the NAA .380. I can't argue with someone choosing a small 9 over a .380, but I can see why many folks would still choose the latter. A lot of good people put their faith in a snubby .38. I think an easy-to-tote .380 is at least as good.

Coronach
November 10, 2002, 08:59 PM
1. The round is adequate, if on the anemic side of adequate.

2. the gun is well made.

3. the gun is extremely ergonomic.

4. the gun is very CCW-capable.

5. It is large for a .380, which helps explain why...

6. It is a dream to shoot. You might get a smaller .380 or a same-sized 9mm, but I doubt you could shoot either as well as you could shoot the P232. Its all about trade-offs.

Mike