PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun barrel chopping

bernie
November 6, 2002, 11:34 PM
I have a 28" vent rib remchocked 870 that I dearly love. However, it would be really handy to have that barrel at a 21" length for rabbit and squirrel hunting (since that is what I use it for). Is this something that can be done while retaining the vent rib and the remchokes? I know that you need to have a good smith thread a barrel for chokes so that it will shoot to point of aim. If this is doable, who would be able to do it? Thanks

Dave McC
November 7, 2002, 04:10 AM
I did this a few years ago. Greg Wolfe in Easton, Md did the work.

Remchokes aren't possible, not enough bbl metal. Greg threaded the bbl for the Truchoke system, which has been around for a long time. My choke tubes are a mix of Colonial and Hastings and work well, shooting to same POA from Skeet to Turkey Full.Taken birds from quail to geese with this 870.

Simpler approach,maybe cheaper, is to buy a 21" turkey bbl, and keep your present bbl uncircumsized. This is what I'd do today, the 21" bbl came out a few months after I had this done. And, your present chokes will work fine.

HTH....

George Stringer
November 7, 2002, 09:21 AM
I assume we're talking about a 12 ga. and don't mean to disagree with Dave but the minimum barrel diameter required for Rem-choke installation is .844". I have an 870 in the shop right now for just exactly the alteration Bernie is wanting and at the 21" length the barrel is .890" diameter which is more than enough to install the standard chokes. Truchokes are installed on smaller diameter barrels requiring one to be at least .825" at the desired length. I do see a lot of fixed choke Remington barrels that are too small at the muzzle for Remchokes.

Bernie if you don't have anyone near you who installs choke tubes feel free to e-mail me. George