PDA

View Full Version : RMA-SYSTEMA (Defensive?) Knife class

Gunter
November 3, 2002, 05:45 PM
First a few words about Russian Martial Arts/Systema.
Very heavy emphasis is placed on correct breathing and maintaining balance. The goal is to move in a way that always allows breathing (i.e. does not obstruct the airways), and prepares the body to absorb strikes that would otherwise be lethal. Extensive use is made of diverse weapons (staff, whip, blunt swords and knives) to directly teach the body how to avoid weapons by touch. The whole art revolves around principles, with each student devloping his own personal skill set. Moving off the line or plane of the attack is extensively devoloped into a subconcious skill. Very economic movement with a minimum of force allows for prolonged battle against multiple opponents in series without fatigue. Strikes or slashes (unarmed or armed) are not blocked but rather diverted and used to defeat the attacker. Performed by an expert, the techniques look like the lazy martial artists dream. I little step here, a small twist there, a bit of pressure on a nerve...

I'll be adding some more information tomorrow...

Gunter
November 4, 2002, 03:38 PM
The exercises were not repetitions of specific movements demonstrated by the instructor, but rather more free form with specific goals, like "the attacker performs strikes from above, the defender moves to avoid being hit" or "the attacker performs strikes or stabs from all directions, the defender moves to avoid being hit and, when opportunity presents itself, continues to control, disarm and subdue the attacker".

I find that this form of training develops reflexive skills very well by direct feedback (i.e. make a wrong move and instantly feel the results). Also, both roles learn together and from each other. Changing sparring partners between exercises exposes you to many different attacks and defenses.

One very useful drill involved the attacker performing empty handed techniques against a defender with a knife. The defender learns to find the exposed target areas of empty handed attacks, and thus teaches the attacker prudence in dealing with opponents who seem to be unarmed.

Other drills include knife or stick vs. nothing, stick vs. knife, and knife vs. knife. Improvised weapons were also briefly covered (jacket, wallet, small flashlight, keys and the very useful baseball cap - gangbangers beware, it is a great handle to manipulate the head by).