PDA

View Full Version : 25-06 or 270?

oondy
October 30, 2002, 09:29 PM
I am looking at getting a new rifle soon, I have been saying this for a while. I am after a rifle to be used as my goat rifle. I already have a 22 and would probably suufice for the amount of goat shooting I do but I want one anyway. Most of the shooting I do is from the drivers seat of the 4WD, while the others are on the roof rack with their guns.
I have been looking at the Savage model 110FP in 25-06 or the Win model 70 Black Shadow in 270. My mate has the dies for the 270 so I am leaning towards the 270 but I don't think I need that much gun. So I am after some loads and trajectory that people use for their 25-06 and 270 for comparisons sake.

The savage is a heavy barrel and weighs in at about 8lb while the winny weighs in at about 7.25lb. The weight doesn't really bother me, yet, but I plan to go hiking at Arkaroola later on so maybe I would get sick of it.

Any comments?

Cheers

OONDY

Art Eatman
October 30, 2002, 09:48 PM
To 300 yards, it's six of one and a half-dozen of the other. If you get a laser range-finder, you'd then be equally well off with either, since knowing the range is more important than the comparative performance for either energy or trajectory.

If you think the distance is 350, and it's actually around 425 or 450, you'll miss with either.

I've always been a walking hunter. I grant the distances have dropped in the last dozen years, but I've toted 9.5 pounds of '06 for quite a few dozen-mile days. I'm six feet tall, 175 pounds; now 68...:) In other words, I wouldn't worry about the weight difference between 7.25 and 8.

Another thing: IMO, the Sierra reloading handbook has the best set of tables for external ballistics. Numerous diameters of bullets; numerous weights and shapes; trajectories out to 500 yards and some tables to 600. Bullet drop and all that. It's an excellent reference work.

Art

priv8ter
October 30, 2002, 10:33 PM
You do most of your shooting from the front seat of a 4WD???? Well, I gues it suffices to say that your laws are not the same as our laws.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the reload data, but with you saying your buddy already has the stuff for .270, that would seem to answer the question too me. I have an uncle in Texas that has used both these calibers on White Tails, and to hear him talk about it, the trajectories are fairly close.

From your post and your talk of having a .22, I can see you have a concern over using to much gun. Unless you are using one of these hyper-expanding funky color tip bullets, I don't think a .270 is gonna cause much more meat damage than a .25-06. Now, if you were thinking of a .338 or something...

As for the weights, I have to agree with Mr. Eatman. With a good sling, you shouldn't notice 3/4 of a pound difference.

Good luck to you.

tex_n_cal
October 31, 2002, 01:00 AM
I have shot deer with both .25-06 & .270 handloads. Either will work fine, as Art said. Make sure you load bullets appropriate for the game - no varmint bullets on deer or similar game.

I like 115 Noslers in the .25-06, and 130's in the .270. Reloader 22 powder is terrific in either cartridge. Look at www.alliantpowder.com for data.

If you wind up with both calibers, as I did, take care when you go to the range, or go hunting with your mate, it is easy to accidently stuff a .25-06 into a .270 - they are the same basic case. The one time I made the mistake, nothing bad happened, except a strange report and a freshly fireformed .270-.25'06 case:o

Art Eatman
October 31, 2002, 09:17 AM
priv8er, laws vary all over the place about hunting from a vehicle. Texas law used to preclude hunting deer from a vehicle, but they gave up since it couldn't really be enforced. Varmint hunting from a vehicle, nobody ever cared one way or the other. (Well, maybe PETA.)

In the south Texas brush country, it's flat to gently rolling land. There are thickets of mesquite, catclaw and prickly pear which are impenetrable to a man on foot. That's the reason for "hunting buggies", with a high seat in the back of a jeep or pickup. You can see over the six- to ten-foot brush, into the various little clearings.

The alternative to a hunting buggy is to crawl like a snake. The warmer climate means you'll likely find one. :(

Art

Southla1
October 31, 2002, 09:18 AM
My choice would be the 25-06, but thats probably because that cartridge to me is what the 270 was to Jack O'Conner. I love the damn thing................course having a sub MOA rifle in that caliber dont hurt matters.

Southla1
October 31, 2002, 09:21 AM
Here in Louisiana the catch word is a MOVING vehicle. If its not on the road or right of way and is not MOVING go head and shoot.

I used to sit on the top of the cab of my truck with my feet on the across the bed tool box to see over brush better. Cant do that now :D my big a** would probably crush the top of the cab :D

priv8ter
October 31, 2002, 10:54 AM
That's what I get for being a home body who always hunts in Washington. Here you aren't even allowed to have your hunting firearm LOADED in your veihicle(the laws don't address a Conceal Carry permit). Shooting from a veihicle is a major No-no.

I'm not being critical, just jealous

:(

Zak Smith
October 31, 2002, 11:26 AM
To complicate matters: .280 Remingtom. Think of it as a .270 necked up to 7mm, or a .30-06 necked down to 7mm.

The ballistics are practically identical to .270, but you'll have a greater variety of bullet choies available in 7mm (.284) over the .270.

-z

Snake Jenkins
October 31, 2002, 11:44 AM
Of the two calibers I would say the .25-06 load it with some sierra 120 grain gamekings and let the grey cat eat.;)

Snake

David4516
October 31, 2002, 01:23 PM
both .25-06 and .270 are good calibers. In fact they are both necked-down .30-06 cases.

Since the 2 calibers you are looking at are similar, you should just pick the rifle you like better. I'd go with the model 70, not because the caliber is better but because the rilfe is better, in my opinion at least.