PDA

View Full Version : Is a boresnake enough for cleaning a bushmaster?

Opie-IN
October 28, 2002, 07:52 AM
I have been taking my AR down and cleaning it with a rod and brass brushes after every outing. I am wondering if the boresnake does a good enough job to skip the brushing out of the rifle every time, so far I have just been using it like a "patch". I usually shoot around 100 rounds of 55gr FMJ when I shoot it.

Thanks, Brian

Coltdriver
October 28, 2002, 08:17 AM
I have a boresnake that I use on my Bushmaster 16 inch.

It works great, does an excellent job and leaves the barrel spotless. It is also effortless to use by comparison to anything else I have tried.

Art Eatman
October 28, 2002, 08:19 AM
Never having used a boresnake, about all I can say is, "Probably."

As far as general grunge in a barrel, running a patch through with a wee dab of some sort of oil or WD 40 will work just fine. If group size degrades a bit, use of a copper-removing solvent will get things back to normal.

Some of the descriptions of cleaning processes, here, make me think some guys put more wear on a barrel cleaning than shooting. :)

Art

DMK
October 28, 2002, 08:53 AM
I don't know if anything is different with ARs, but sometimes I'm lazy and pull a boresnake with CLP on it though my SKS, but only when I know I'll be shooting it again in a week or so.

The problem is, it doesn't do anything for all the junk in the action or gas tube.

Joe Demko
October 28, 2002, 09:03 AM
There really isn't any junk in an AR gas tube to worry about. They are virtually self-cleaning. On an SKS, unless I've been shooting corrosive ammo, I don't bother tearing it apart for cleaning either. As with Mr. Eatman, I do the scrubbing thing only if accuracy begins to suffer. We're talking about military-grade rifles, after all, not bench rest or precision varmint rigs.

johnwill
October 28, 2002, 09:26 AM
The boresnake will clean the bore, but I like to clean the bolt every few hundred rounds, it gets pretty cruddy in there. :)