PDA

View Full Version : Browning Auto-5

robear
October 25, 2002, 09:29 AM
Hello..

I have an OLD Browning Auto-5 shotgun that I would really like some more info on.. My father gave it to me several years ago.. I honestly don't know where he got it.. It is 12ga, serial 4XXX.. (yes, 4 digits) The serial # is stamped on the bottom of the receiver, on the barrel ring, and on the wooden forearm.. All serial #'s match.. The top of the barrel is stamped: "BROWNING AUTOMATIC ARMS CO. OGDEN UTAH U.S.A." I did some research on Browning.com, and all I could find there was that the first 10,000 (which I assume this is) were ordered by John Browning from FN in 1902... (The buttplate has the FN logo) The receiver and barrel are engraved. (see pic)

Is this the gem I think it might be???

Any help would be greatly appreciated... More pics are available if needed... Thanks in advance..

-R

P.S. I also have an R.G. Owen 1903 Springfield that my dad left me.. Does this name ring a bell with anyone?? Pics of that are available also..

Stay safe...

Jim Watson
October 25, 2002, 10:08 AM
I think you need to show those guns to a real expert.

A 4-digit A5 is certainly a jewel; especially if it is a high-grade **factory** engraved gun and the finish showing in the picture is original and not a reblue. Unfortunately, Belgian Browings blow kind of hot and cold in the market and it seems that they are currently at kind of a low level in price and demand. Around here, at any rate. Your area might be different, or it might be of interest on a national market.

But let's get down to the serious stuff. An Owen Springfield is REAL interesting. Bob Owen was one of the premier custom gunsmiths and sporterizers of the '03 Springfield in the 20s and 30s. Does it look anything like this one?

Now THERE is a gem.

Edited, the first link I tried would not work. Try
http://www.griffinhowe.com/usedgun-rf.cfm
and go down the list to R.G. Owen

robear
October 25, 2002, 10:07 PM
My rifle looks almost EXACTLY like the one in the pic.. It was given to me with with a full leather scabbard, and a removable scope (the scope has its own leather carrying case also) I don't have the front sight hood, however.. :( Interestingly enough, the removable scope base is stamped "GRIFFIN & HOWE" It seems these people would be an excellent resource in finding the provenance of this rifle, or at least more info...

I have NO desire to part with the Owen or the A5, I just wanted to know what I had..

Thanks for all of your info, Jim..

-R