PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700

spartacus2002
October 23, 2002, 07:00 PM
I'm looking at getting back into long range plinking, and I'm debating getting a Remington 700, either the VS or the Police version, in .308. Anyone have any insights or experience to share?

MLC
October 23, 2002, 07:41 PM
As I understand it they are the same rifle. Different style stock made by the same manufacturer.

Archie
October 24, 2002, 01:14 AM
It seems (at least to my suppliers) Remington won't sell anything rollmarked "Police" to the public.

So I settled for the varmint version.

I put a Leupold scope and an evil black plastic stock on it. Fiddled with the trigger.

.561" group at 100 yards.

Plink, plink.

Dave P
October 24, 2002, 07:40 AM
The PSS gives you a better stock (McMillan?) with alum bedding block - this should give better accuracy over the Varmint Synthetic.

The PSS will often produce .5" grps from the factory.

"It seems (at least to my suppliers) Remington won't sell anything rollmarked "Police" to the public. " - my advice is find a different supplier.

Try http://www.townpolice.com/index.ivnu

Rob01
October 24, 2002, 08:17 AM
Good advice about finding a different supplier. Some won't sell to the public, some will. Hoplite Inc who advertises in Shotgun News will sell you a 700P.

On the stocks, both the 700P and 700VS have HS Precision stocks with aluminum bedding blocks. They are differnet profiles though with the 700P being a heavier target style with large palm swell and the 700VS being a more field friendly slimmer stock. They are both good stocks but some aren't 100% drop in and need to be bedded. My 700P was like that and gave me constant flyers until it was bedded and then it was sub MOA. My 700VS was also sub MOA out of the box, without bedding, also which isn't suprising as the 700P and 700VS are the same barreled actions only with different stocks and slightly different matte finishes.

uglygun
October 24, 2002, 11:12 AM
The finishes differ between the two guns, the PSS will get a parkarized finish while the VS gets like an epoxy paint finish.

Stock configuration is the main difference, personally I can't stand the PSS stocks as they are just too uncomfortable to me. See if you can get to handle both rifles first, the palm swell of the grip area for the firing hand is just too funky for me on the PSS and I much prefer the VS stock. The PSS does have a nice broad forend though which I do like.

I'm going for a 300WinMag 700 here soon, due to the PSS stock I'm gonna be going for a Sendero. If I was doing a 308 or 223 Rem 700, I'd go for the VS over the PSS purely because of the stock.

As far as the barreled action goes, I hear they are identical between the PSS and the VS. The days where a person could pay good money for the Police version and expect it to perform better than the civie VS model are over. I've heard of PSS rifles that can barely make under 1.5MOA going back to Remington for warranty work only for Remington to claim that 1.5MOA is what they consider adequate for a police marksman rifle.

Bogie
October 24, 2002, 01:41 PM
Neither are anything special.

I'd blow $300-400 on a wally world or used 700, another $500 on a match-grade barrel and action job, and then go from there...

Dave P
October 24, 2002, 01:59 PM
"On the stocks, both the 700P and 700VS have HS Precision stocks with aluminum bedding blocks. "

Oops, I think you're right, Rob. I was thinking the VLS series, which is laminated/plastic/wood stuff (pretty, tho).

4V50 Gary
October 24, 2002, 05:35 PM
The VSS stock is a bit slimmer than the PSS stock. For carrying in the woods, it's a plus. Our snipers in 'Nam grew tired of the bulkier target stocks on the Model 70s and opted for sporter stocks that were easier to carry. Of the two, I'd go with the VSS. It's the same gun but with a different stock.

Terry Perkins
October 24, 2002, 09:38 PM
I have used a 700 VS LH all year (2300 shots) and found it to consistently shoot 0.5" with 175SMKs at 100 yards. If it shoots 0.7" it's my fault. I am also shooting prone with a bipod. At 700 yards 5 shot groups average 5". I reload and am very happy with this "out of the box" rifle.

Terry Perkins

edamon2k
October 25, 2002, 05:36 AM
all things being equal, nothings better then a black gun.

-d

thequickad
October 25, 2002, 11:57 AM
Remington now offers a 700 with the VS stock but with the M24 stainless barrel in .308. This usually goes for around $899 but I have seen them as low as $800. The M24 barrel has the 5R rifling according to my more knowledgable shooting friends.:D

M700
October 25, 2002, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately.....Remington does not "offer" the 24" 5R barrel. They made a bunch and sent them off the dealers. If you can find one....grab it. The only way i know of to get a factory 5R gun is to buy the M24 for a ton of cash. Yes....you can buy an M24. Check out Cal's Sporting Armory.

V.Oller
October 25, 2002, 12:39 PM
I have the 700P. So far it's been VERY accurate, 3 rd groups you can cover with a quarter at largest @100 yards. That was with a Leupold Mk 4 10x.

The rifle is parkerized with a pistol grip type stock with palm swell. It is marked just as a 700. Police is not in place anywhere on the rifle, just on the end label of the box. It does have the 26 inch barrel.

You are going to have to work on the trigger tho, mine came with a 12 lbs factory trigger! A simple enough fix tho as Remington triggers can be adjusted. It's now at 2.75 lbs and crisp.

Great rifle!

thequickad
October 25, 2002, 04:59 PM
My local gun store said Remington is now offerring the 700VS with the M24 barrel as a regular. The normal price is $899 and they have many in stock. Unfortunately it comes with the new Remington safety system so I decided not to pick it up. Are you really going to get that much more accurate with the M24 barrel? That's $200 more than a PSS and $300 more than a VS.:cool:

cola8d8
October 25, 2002, 05:50 PM
I bought a 700P in 300 Ultra mag, put on the rings, bases, and bipod.... Now it is just sitting there waiting for the Zeiss conquest 6.5-20X50 to get here.... I know, some dealers already have them. I decided to buy from the guy in town and wait a little longer...

Joe Demko
October 25, 2002, 06:04 PM
I have a VSSF in .308 that will shoot honest 1-hole groups at 100 yards all day long with with Federal match grade ammo. This from an informal rest (folded jacket on top of gun case) and with a mediocre scope and I clean it when I feel like it. The varmint specials are okay in my book.

labgrade
October 26, 2002, 06:51 PM
I don't know anything "long range shooring," but have taken quite a few varmits way past 400 yards.

For all that, I'd buy a stock Rem ADL wood stock, free-float/glass-bed it, dink with the trigger some, dial in your scope & work with some decent handloads.

Figure $350 or so for the shooter & another same-same for the glass.

Worst case = you have $700 in a very decent shooter.

"Long range" may be way outa my experience = as in 1000 yards, etc., but ....

Within 500, I think you could get in the ballpark without the layout of a "precision rifle."

YMMV

Mustang6
October 27, 2002, 09:02 PM
If you want a field worth rifle and have the money I wouldnt buy that M24. Check these guys out. All Former Marines all built weapons all shot them.

IBA (http://www.ironbrigadearmory.com/home.html)

dongun
October 28, 2002, 01:47 PM
I believe that Remington quit offering the VSS in .308. They still offer it in smaller calibers. They still offer the PSS in .308.

I have the VSSF (F for fluted) in .308. Like everybody else, it is a tack driver. It had a decent trigger from the factory, but I lightened a tad.