PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Gibbs Extreme Carbine or .308 Jungle Carbine

tuc22
February 16, 2000, 02:41 PM
I can't seem to make up my mind as to these two models offered by Gibbs Rifle Co. The Quest Extreme Carbine is nice but I'm unsure as to the .303 British round because it is a rimmed Cartridge. The #7 Jungle carbine is chambered for the .308 but my concern is the very short sight radius. I want this rifle to follow the "Scout" model so I'm wondering if I can get a longer iron sight radius and mount a long eye relief scope on the #7 Jungle Carbine?.

Jaeger
February 16, 2000, 05:48 PM
Ashley Outdoors is currently working with Gibbs to create a "drop in" scout kit for Enfields. (also a replacement rear sight) I know that they are working on this for the #4 series rifles because they are building my Enfield scout and are using my rifle for some R&D. I don't know if they will be doing anythng with the 308 Ishapores. I would imagine that they will come out with something for them since there are so many of them on the market.
Personally, I'd go wth the Quest. I like the 303. Factory ammo is plentiful and if you reload the sky is the limit. The rimmed cartridge really isn't much of a problem. The rifles aren't very expensive, why not get both?

Robert Foote
February 16, 2000, 09:25 PM
There's a better solution but I don't know how long it'll last. Navy Arms is selling #4 Mk1s with the 'zytel' synthetic stock for a whole $99. I made up the same thing and paid about $50 wholesale just for the stock itself, around $150 total. Made an excellent utility/scout gun--not fancy, but certainly serviceable and the price is right. I just ordered two from Navy Arms on principle.

------------------

Nyterunner
February 17, 2000, 01:45 AM
I handled one of the extremes, at the local gun shop the other day, and the fit of the rifle was not very good. be ready to do some serious stock-work on it. other than that, nice toy.

tuc22
February 17, 2000, 06:01 AM
Jaeger,
I've been watching your posts on this Scout thing with great interest and have searched TFL's pages on this Enfield/Mauser option. I have one question: Do the rimmed cases ever cause feeding or magazine problems?
Recently, I found a discussion board on Enfields and the consensus seemed to be that Gibbs is marketing this idea with a premium price attached to an otherwise inexpensive product. I'm going to check out navy arms' website for this rifle. Robert Foote, perhaps you might give us an idea as to how you will outfit your rifle.

Jaeger
February 17, 2000, 06:51 AM
I shoot my fare share of 303 inmy other rifles (#4 Mk1 and a #5 Jungle Carbine) and I have had very few problems with feeding. On the rare occasion I will improperly single load a round into the magazine and things will get momentarily tied up. Mostly I use stripper clips. As long as you properly load the stripper clips everying runs very smoothly. It is a minor issue at best.
My scout is supposedly done but I do not yet have it in my grubby little mits! Every day I look for the brown truck but it is not here yet. (heavy sigh)
I prefer the #4 type rifles over the older SMLE rifles. Mostly because of the sights. If they made an affordable #4 in 308 I'd be all over it. (308 conversions are out there but are expesive!)
Whatever you decide, the ol' Enfield is a helluva rifle and I'm sure you will be pleased with it.
If you get a Quest (or any other #4) that has the 2 apeature, non adjustable rer sight replace it with a good milled adjustable rear sight. Springfield Sporters has them for about $12. It a wothwhile addition!

chadintex
February 17, 2000, 08:12 PM
I got the #7 a few days ago, and although I haven't had a chance to shoot it, I don't predict too much of a problem with the sights. I have found it to be an extremely handy little rifle and if it does shoot well enough I will be very happy. Does anyone know where I can get some stripper clips for this thing? Will the 303 stripper clips work? Please help.

------------------
[email protected]

Robert Foote
February 19, 2000, 12:49 AM
To Tuc 22: I have not done anything special to the 'zytel' stocked #4 thus far. I bobbed the barrel back to the front sight mount for cosmetic purposes and that's about it. If I get really bored some winter I might clean up the metal and sandblast blue the rifle. Will be putting on a GI web sling as soon as the 1 1/4" swivels show up; also stowed a ruptured case extractor, pull-through, and little oddments in the butt cavity. Rimmed cases require some attention at the time of loading, whether singly or via stripper clip, but are not a big deal otherwise. The important thing is to neck size .303 brass for the individual rifle; otherwise you may as well just toss the brass after first or second firing. (Plug for Lee collet dies for .303 here.) These are quirky rifles but they have a lot of hidden virtues beyond the giveaway price. I suspect that they would be just about as good for hunting/fighting as anything else. Yes, an M1A or even an M1 is a 'better rifle'--but I think I'd rather have a Lee-Enfield than an M16 sometimes. They will get the job done--the Brits muddled along with them for about 100 years and in some parts of the world they're still in use. If you can find a better deal for $99 buy it.

------------------