PDA

View Full Version : 358 Norma vs 375 H&H

Glamdring
October 19, 2002, 12:33 AM
Which is better medium?

ViLLain
October 19, 2002, 02:04 AM
Don't think that the game at the business end of either rifle is going to feel any difference.

.375 H&H rifles, built ammunition, components and load data are easier to come by.

Also, not all .358 bullets for the Norma are created equal, making bullet selection for that cartridge tricky.

Unkel Gilbey
October 19, 2002, 02:37 PM
Looking from the stand point of availability, I have to side with the 375 H&H.

For some reason, the selection of different .358 caliber bullets isn't as diverse as with the 375. Cartridge cases for the Norma might also be more difficult to obtain. I don't think I've yet to walk into a sports shop and see a box of loaded Norma ammon in that caliber for sale.

Of course, you could always resize another belted mag case of proper size to the 358, and there are some bullets of various weights available. Trouble is, if you want to make this cartridge really work for you, you need heavy bullets - 250 gn+, and the offerings in this range get pretty sparse - those Woodleigh bullets are EXPENSIVE!

The 375 offers more flexibility - I believe. Commercial ammo availiability, wide range of bullets for reloading, and the cartridge is really very efficient. Were it my choice to make, I'd go with the 375.

Unkel Gilbey

MAD DOG
October 19, 2002, 10:01 PM
Varminting with the .358 Norma is easier.
Use 9mm pistol bullets, and they can leave the muzzle at 3800-3900 fps. Now, you are cooking with gas!
Makes Jacks and yodel dogs explode like gophers hit with a 22-250. :eek:

Also, the .358 is a flatter shooter, and has great inherent accuracy.

Other .358 Norma Mag adavantages:
Bullets are cheaper.
Uses less powder per round.
Shorter action.
Lighter gun possible.
Less transitional recoil.
You will probably be the only kid on the block that has one.
Lastly, this "obsolete" round is damned hard to find factory loaded fodder for, so it gives you yet another excuse to buy dies, brass, and experiment with handloads.
:D