PDA

View Full Version : Unloading a 94 Trapper or Marlin 1894P

EXPLORER
February 12, 2000, 08:28 PM
I am in the market for a lever action, probably in .44 magnum. When camping/hiking, especially with kids, I sometimes unload my firearms upon returning to base camp (except for the .44 mag or Glock 20 on my hip!). How much of a hassle is it to cycle the rounds through the action to unload? Does it harm the ammo (e.g., small dents)? I suppose an alternative (for safety's sake) would be to lock the rifle up (trigger lock, locking case, etc). Thanks in advance for your insight.

Will Kwan
February 12, 2000, 08:59 PM
I have the Marlin .44 Mag lever. It is bit of hassle to unload the rifle but this needs to be done before it is locked or stored. Unloading has not seriously scratched or damaged the bullets or cases in my rifle. There are minor scratches and dings on the cases though.

Will

Art Eatman
February 12, 2000, 09:22 PM
My lever-action experience has been mostly with the long cartridges. I "half-cycle", pulling the lever just enough closed to free the cartridge but not pushing it into the chamber. A little more room to grasp the cartridge without its falling on the ground. No KaBooms that way.

Overnight in a solo camp, I wouldn't bother.

Getting off-thread a bit, how old are these kids? It was so common for me and three or four other kids to take our .22 rifles out to the woods to go "hunting"--at ages ten to twelve..."Now, you-all be careful," somebody's mother would say...Since the cost of the ammo came out of a fifty-cents per week allowance, we were indeed careful. :)

The scratches mostly occur during loading, anyway...

FWIW, Art