PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for AR aftermarket trigger

Smiley
October 16, 2002, 10:34 PM
I just did a drop in trigger for my Savage 10FP and the results were fantastic. I can now put two bullets through the same hole and the third clovering the first two at 100yds. (Only when I am very lucky and on my game that day).

I want to do a similar drop in trigger for my ARs. I am not necassarlily looking for a competition trigger so much as getting a better trigger. (I luv aftermarket goodies). I want my AR to be durable so a 1lb trigger isn't exactly appropriate. But lightening it would be good.

Tanks a bunch:cool: :D

Steve Smith
October 16, 2002, 11:10 PM
You need to decide if you want a 1 or 2 stage. The best 1 stage is probably the JP. One of the best, if not the best 2 stage for the money is the RRA, IMHO.

M4A3
October 17, 2002, 02:42 AM
I agree with Steve Smith. I put a JP trigger in my DPMS. It was a VERY nice trigger. Thay are also adjustable too! I had to pay about 150.00 for mine, but I think thay have gone down in price.

Here's a picture of what you get. In the picture you can see the 2 adjusting set screws.
http://www.jpar15.com/newtk5.gif

JP home page (http://www.jpar15.com/index2.htm)

Thay are easy to install. Thay do come with a lighter hammer spring, but you don't need to use this. Basicly, you can set up you're trigger the way you want. I had my trigger at about 3-1/2 lbs and used the spring thay provided.

Good luck,

johnwill
October 17, 2002, 09:45 AM
I'll put in my vote for the Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger kit. It can be had for $80-90, drops in in 15 minutes, and does wonders for the AR! I have them in two of my guns, and I'm planning on installing one in my Carbon-15 soon.

waynzwld
October 17, 2002, 02:44 PM
Jewell makes a very nice 2-stage trigger also. I have one and it can be adjusted down to 1-1/2 lb if you want. I have mine set that light for varminting. It is a very nice trigger, even though it is a little on the expensive side. The JP is probably the best single-stage trigger around.

Swamp Yankee
October 17, 2002, 06:09 PM
Can't comment on the Rock River, but I have a Jewell installed in my AR Hbar Elite. Liked it so much had one installed in my AR10. Total cost including the the smith's charge was $180. Great thing about the Jewell is you can play with the adjustments and dial in the exact weight and feel you want.
The same 'smith that installed the Jewell's did the stock trigger on my Bushmaster V-Match carbine. Came out at a very creep free 3 pounds. IIRC that trigger job was about 1/2 the cost of installing a Jewell.
Take Care

Steve Smith
October 17, 2002, 06:41 PM
The Jewell will change over time. If you're not the type to put over 2000 rounds a year through the same rifle, depending on the trigger to be exactly the same for each and every shot, and depending on it to pick up an exact amount of weight at a sign-ion table, then sure, get the Jewell.

jtduncan
October 17, 2002, 09:12 PM
Foe $125 you can get a gunsmith tuned RRA National Match trigger that is crisp and smooth as glass.

Go over to AR15.com and ask around about John Holliger.

I dropped two of those tuned RRA NM triggers into my Bush 20" HBAR and 16" Oly Pcr-9 and man do I love those triggers.

And no worries about getting out of adjustment too. Great for service or duty rifles requiring a 4.5 pound pull.

Why pay more!

Took me 15 minutes to install the first one and I loved the experience.

rocko
October 18, 2002, 06:40 AM
Since you stated you wanted your AR to remain "durable", I would suggest you stay away from any adjustable trigger, which could have the tendancy to "adjust" itself out of working properly if you ever really need it. Single stage I would say Acurracy Speaks. It is not really drop in, but usually only requires a few passes of a stone to fit it. For 2 stage, as mentioned above RRA is hard to beat for the price and the Holliger tuned one is even better for only a few bucks more.

Rocko

M1911
October 18, 2002, 07:00 AM
I've got several 2-stage armalite NM triggers. I think they're great.

M1911

Elkslayer
October 18, 2002, 08:38 AM
I second the JP trigger.

I installed mine but did need to remove some of the back portion of it so that the safety would engage, something they address very well in their instructions. If you get one of their triggers, read the instructions several times and follow them! Make sure you know what the instructions are telling you to do.

If you do need to remove marterial for the safety to work, do so verrrry slowly and test it frequently. The metal is very hard and slow to remove. I tried a new mill bastard file and it wouldn't even touch it. Ended up using a dremel. But did so very carefully!!

The folks at JP are great to work with if you have questions during installation. I know cause I called them several times because I was afraid of messing it up since I'm not very knowledgable about AR triggers.

johnwill
October 18, 2002, 01:46 PM
All the talk about installation difficulties and filing things gives me the willies!!! The RRA 2-stage drops in, about as foolproof and simple as possible. :)

Nukem
October 19, 2002, 03:21 PM
The JP actually goes in pretty easily. If you set it up correctly the disconnector may have to be fitted on some rifles. It's not hard. I've done three of mine. One trigger has over 7K on it and has never been adjusted.

Come to think of it the Jewell I put in my match rifle has never needed adjustment either. Must be the loctite ;)

Monkeyleg
October 19, 2002, 04:13 PM
Am I the only one here who has a Millazzo/Krieger trigger? It was easy to install, and made my 1-1/2 MOA rifle into a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA instantly.

Nukem
October 19, 2002, 05:07 PM
"Am I the only one here who has a Millazzo/Krieger trigger?"

Probably ;) They were as scarce as hens teeth for a loooong time. That's when Jewell started to take up some of the demand.

A bit of a cult following on those to say the least.

sleeping dog
October 19, 2002, 05:35 PM
Nukem,

Waddayamean the Milazzo/Krieger triggers WERE scarce?

Are they available now?

Regards.

Steve Smith
October 20, 2002, 11:01 AM
RE: Millazzo/Krieger

They're still rare, and the owner is still as hard to deal with. Since the RRA/Holliger has come on the scene, interest in the MK has definitely waned.

rcbs
October 20, 2002, 08:17 PM
I had a JP trigger. They are not easy to install youself. The fitting of the safety can take a couple of hours. The lightest pull you will get is about 3 1/2 lbs.

On the other hand the fabulous Jewell trigger goes in in a couple of minutes with no fitting and the safety will work the first time.

The Jewell is a two stage but the second stage can be ajusted at light as 6 ounces.

The JP trigger was just too heavy a pull for me when shooting in the offhand position (standing without the aid of a sling).

On the other hand the super light Jewel enabled me to hit the target offhand (notice I said offhand) much easier putting 10 shots out of twenty right into the x ring of the target. No other trigger I have tried enabled me to do this.

In all honesty the trigger did get out of adjustment after firing over 3,000 full power rounds and it was ajusted back in about less than a minute and a half. You do not have to take the gun apart to readjust the trigger. I think that is pretty outstanding performance for a delicate target grade trigger.

I would own no other trigger for the AR. With the Jewel consistant 1/4 of minute of angle groups are very possible with a heavy barrel AR using match grade bullets. It is not the exception, it is the consistant norm. I know this may sound unbelievable to those who have not had such an outfit but I suggest you try the heavy barrel AR and the fabulous Jewel triggeer. I do not know of anyone personally that took one out of his rifle after he used it awhile.

Jewell also makes triggers for many popular bolt guns including the Winchester, Savage and Remington. I once was able to use my buddies custom built Remington heavy barrel .308 Palma Match rifle that had a 28 inch heavy barrel and we both shot consistant 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. That was 200 yards not 100 yards. The Jewel 2 ounce target trigger made this all possible. Without it we could not have shot the very consistant 1/2 groups with this rifle at 200 yards.

Nukem
October 21, 2002, 09:59 AM
The last JP I installed took me 30 mins start to finish. Fitting the saftey can take a while if you try to remove the material by hand (think bench grinder) :)
The JP and Jewell are two different animals, single stage and two stage, suited to different tasks.

BTW, the Jewell I put in a model 70 was a real bear since the factory ground the firing pin stop to fit the original. When you change to the Jewell the saftey won't work unless you TIG it back up and refit it.

jason10mm
October 21, 2002, 11:11 AM
I have fired both a M/K and Jewell. They both felt the same to me, so I went with the Jewell (since it was the only option :) ) Installed it myself and have never looked back. You mean there are OTHER precision triggers for the AR?? The Jewell is easy to adjust and I have had it for over 2 years with no change in the pull. I use it for carbine shoots (probably over-kill ;) ). Later.

Gewehr98
October 21, 2002, 03:10 PM
No safety engagement filing needed, but this was a wsmall-pin Colt, too. It's been a sweetheart of a trigger since Day 1. I bought it while waiting to get a Milazzo/Krieger. ;)