PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me why my new Bushy came with castrated mag?

Futo Inu
October 15, 2002, 11:40 AM
It came with one mag; holds 10 rounds; looks like a 20 rounder, but it's been castrated. If it was pre-94, then why castrated - just sell it with the gun as is. If it's post-94 manufacture, just create 10 rounder from the start. Is it for looks only, or to provide a protruding piece for easier extraction, more likely? If this is the case, and it's a post-ban, then I have no problem with it. But I'd have big problem with Bushmaster purposely castrating pre-ban mags when there's no legal reason to do so. And, if it is in fact pre-ban manufacture, then I could simply undo the castration legally - anyone know how? Just dremel some detents? (again, assuming pre-94 mfr)

Also, can anyone tell me - are 30-round Thermold mags any good?

boing
October 15, 2002, 11:56 AM
It's postban.

Previous Bushmaster postban mags were 30 rounders with the middle section chopped out, and the remaining upper and lower halves riveted together. This was the infamous Frankenmag, a stop-gap measure Bushy used to get guns to market after the ban. About the same size as a 20 rounder, but butchered.

The Frankenmags were notoriously unreliable (though mine works fine), and many Bushy owners cannibalized them to get the precious green follower, for upgrading USGI mags. Bushmaster eventually came out with the new, aesthetically pleasing and apparently reliable 10 rounder. It "looks better" than a 10 round-sized mag, and it's easier to pull out, in the event it fails to drop free.

Don't try to modify it.

I've not used Thermolds, but they seem to have a pretty decent reputation.

Jack19
October 15, 2002, 12:06 PM
Thermold are great mags, I've been very happy with mine in my Bushy.

Look for the ones made in North Carolina.

Jamie Young
October 15, 2002, 01:25 PM
Sounds like an inexperience Rabbi got a hold of it.

Kirk Keller
October 15, 2002, 03:09 PM
I think you're thinking of a Moyel.

wingnutx
October 15, 2002, 03:47 PM
My new-style Bushmaster 10 round mag always jams on the first round, if I load 10. Loading 9 or under works fine.

K80Geoff
October 15, 2002, 06:56 PM
My Frankenmag works just fine. Too bad I will never be able to take it apart to clean it or replace the spring:(

Armadillo
October 15, 2002, 08:57 PM
Mine works perfect. Not a single jam with it so far. Only complaint is that there is no way in hell to insert it fully loaded if the bolt is closed. There is no room there for the rounds to go down when pressed against the bolt...

ronin308
October 15, 2002, 09:27 PM
Because no honest man needs more than 10 rounds...or something like that. Whatever it was, baby whales, puppies, and children are safer because you have a 10 rounder.