PDA

View Full Version : I need info on Star Firstar M43 9mm

kahrma
October 14, 2002, 04:27 PM
I just won an auction for one of these and I am confused about the types of finishes they come in. I know they come in blue, nickel and something called Starvel. What is Starvel? Is it nickel or SS. My gun is supposed to be SS, at least that is what the seller called it. I am confused because according to the Fjestad Blue Book I have, there is no SS Firestar.:confused:

Here is the auction for referance.

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=3337276.0

nyghtfall
October 14, 2002, 04:32 PM
Starvel is a nickle finish. I have seen Stars advertised in stainless, but have never seen one.

Pendragon
October 14, 2002, 06:09 PM
Starvel is electroless nickel - I wanted one of these really bad a long time ago - they are usually good shooters. I understand spare parts are hard to find now - but do some searches here on TFL - a while back, someone posted some good leads on the hard to find parts - you may want to pick up a few parts right now...

I am about 99.99% sure these guns were never made in SS - your sell just was confused.

Be happy though, these are really neat guns and there are not that many Single Action Autos out there beyond the 1911 and BHP.

Shawn Dodson
October 14, 2002, 06:28 PM
I have an M43 9mm with StarVel finish. It is a great little shooter. Being one of the first of the ultra-compact 9mm handguns, it was my primary CCW gun from the early 1990's to the late 1990's, when I retired it for a G19.

kahrma
October 14, 2002, 07:46 PM
The reason I bought this one was because about 6-7 years ago, I was looking for a CCW and I had narrowed my choices down to the Kahr E9, Sig 239, and the Star Firestar. I bought the Kahr but I really liked the Star, I can't remember why I didn't buy it then, I think the store was out of them in 9mm at the time. I have allways been impressed with the quality of these little pistols and now have the chance to see for myself how they shoot.

Anyway, all three of these guns were in about the same price range at the time ($350-450) and now the Star is going for about half of what I remember it selling for. It has to be a deal! I hope I don't need replacement parts but what other decent gun can you buy for $200.00?