PDA

View Full Version : CMP AR15 upper

Don of Kalifornia
October 14, 2002, 01:10 AM
As I was lucky enough to buy a few lowers before the Kalifornia ban, I still have one lower left to build in to a rifle. I'm looking at oneof the four uppers to buy for a CMP rifle, as I may retire my Supermatch, not sell it just retire it from competion.I'd like to hear so imput on these uppers

The choices I've narrowed it to is

Fulton Armory CMP Kreiger barrel

Fulton Armory CMP Douglas

Bushmaster CMP

Rock River CMP

I'm not majorly concerned about cost, but do like to get my best bang for a buck

Don

D

swampyMO
October 14, 2002, 06:38 AM
Don,

I'm sure they are all good....

You did not say what level of competitor you are. If you are still a relative newcomer to Highpower Rifle competition the Kreiger may be "gilding the lily" at this point. If you already have your Master or High Master rating, then the Kreiger would probably do you well.

In the small circle in which I run there are several of the CMP Bushy's and a number of the CMP Rock Rivers as well (I shoot a RR upper). The general concencus seems to give the nod to the RR for best bang for the buck.

Over on the AR15.com competition forum it seems too that the RR is pretty much the #1 suggested rifle for anybody ready to "come to the dark side" of CMP-DCM shooting.

As recently as this Spring you could buy the RR CMP upper for $540 through one of their distributors, SABLE CO, in Port Byron, IL. Contact info is below.

SABLE CO.
Donnie Pridemore
1117 Deer Run Rd.
Port Byron, IL. 61275
(309)496-3030
(253)595-5271 Fax
Email [email protected]
www.sableco.net

I ordered my RR upper from SABLE CO. over the phone on Monday and it was delivered by the postman on Saturday. Good service and a GREAT shooting upper. I shoot in the upper end of NRA Expert right now and the RR upper is WAY more accurate than I am.

Just my .25,

Swampy

Garands forever

Steve Smith
October 14, 2002, 09:06 AM
The first thing you have to decide is how much you can spend. The RRA is about the best factory upper you can get for the game. Good sights, very stout float tube, and an accurate barrel. If you are looking at the Fulton Aromory uppers, I would guess you can spend what you want.

In that case, I would highly recommend that you buy your upper from someone who shoots the game, and does well. Anyone can put an AR together, but for HP, a smith who knows the game is really important. John Holliger, 2002 Civilian Service Rifle Champion is the man to go to. His obsession is Highpower, and his trade is building ARs for Highpower competitors. You can't get better than that. The attention to detail and the after-sale support is unbeatable. He includes a CMP/NRA Highpower approved rear sight modification to all of his custom uppers that allows the sight to move smoothly up and down, and without the twist. He will put any barrel you want on it, but he uses Border and Pac-Nor barrels in his own guns, and has broken many records with them. He'll put a Krieger on if you want, but if he is not convinced that they add accuracy, then who am I to second guess him? His prices are also surprisingly low. For a Pac-Nor or Border barrel, you are looking at $910 for a complete upper, al custom, with the rear sight mod. I think the Krieger barrelled uppers are about $1025 or so.

While he's doing work for you, send him a RRA trigger assembly and a check for $25. He'll return a very reliable, and perfect 2 stage trigger.

John's website:
http://www.alccrl.org/whiteoak/whiteoak.htm

BTW, if you're going all out, why not get a 1:6.5" twist barrel so you can shoot those 90 JLKs?

duck hunt
October 14, 2002, 06:58 PM
Well, when lacking in capacity, go for accuracy. But do go ahead and get the FAB10 to get comfortable with the M16 layout and manual of arms. And have a reason for buying a lot of .223 ammunition.

Steve Smith
October 14, 2002, 07:07 PM
Duck Hunt, were you trying to reply to this thread instead? http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=134931&highlight=fab

Don of Kalifornia
October 16, 2002, 10:54 PM
I ordered a Rock River upper from Sable today, also ordered the Rock River Match trigger from them too. I have two of these triggers in other Ar's of mine, and i find them to be the smoothist, and most problem free trigger I've found.

The price was good from Sable too..both upper and trigger, for $673.00 delivered and insured. I told them I heard about them here on The Firing Line

Thanks from The People's Republic

Don

Steve Smith
October 16, 2002, 11:06 PM
Good job, Don. Hey, if you want that trigger to REALLY sing, send it to John Holliger.