PDA

View Full Version : Howa 1500 .308 Anybody have an opinion on these?

Mesa
January 31, 2000, 08:54 AM
I'm basically new to high powered rifles. (Been shooting .22's and shotguns all my life though). After talking to numerous gunsmiths and long range shooters I decided on a Howa Lightning Tactical in .308. Anybody have an opinion on this rifle?

wildcat
January 31, 2000, 01:53 PM
I have a Howa 1500 chambered for 30-06. I purchased the rifle about 5 years ago.My son purchased a Remington 700 the same year both were new guns.My Howa has always outperformed my sons Remington.I can shoot a box of ammo off sand bags and have all twenty in a 4 inch circle with a hot barrel. If I shoot 3 shots slow fire with a cool barrel I can put them all in a 1.5 inch circle at 100 Yds.I see no reason that a .308 should not do as well.One of my hunting friends Has 3 Howa rifles and loves them all.

------------------
Fear a government that fears your guns

Mesa
January 31, 2000, 03:35 PM
What did you scope it with by chance? I'm strictly paper punching at about 200-300 yards, but I intend on eventually getting out to 500 - 1000 yards. Right now I have a Tasco World Class that I despise. It's all I have to put on it right now.

Paul B.
February 1, 2000, 12:39 AM
Mesa. Look at the Weatherby Vanguard. It is made by Howa for Weatherby.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited February 01, 2000).]

wildcat
February 1, 2000, 05:58 AM
My Howa is scoped with a simmonds atec 2.8-10 this is a fine scope for hunting but I am sure there are better choices for 1000 yd shooting.I am also sure someone else is better qualified than I to help you make that choice.

yorec
February 2, 2000, 04:11 PM
Mesa,

I built a custom .270 win on a Howa 1500 action a couple years ago for my wife (hunting rifle). This is a Howa barreled action which I put a Timney trigger and custom stock on (I don't get into custom work much more that that). I've been very pleased with the gun. It holds sub MOA groups all day long and hasn't had any abnormal wear or malfunctions yet (500 rounds or so). For the money, the Howa 1500 is about the best action out there righ now, IMHO.

Howa does build some rifles for Weatherby in Japan. I thought it was the Lasermark, but could very well be the Vanguard. Just picture a weatherby with a different stock and finish for several hundred bucks less - sounds like a deal to me.

Your choice for a Howa Lightning Tactical sounds like a good one to me. Unless you have some super talent in ya, the rifle will out shoot you for many years before your skills catch up and you need to upgrade.

Good luck.

Reloader
February 2, 2000, 07:10 PM
Yes, it is the same as the Weatherby Vanguard.

Mesa
February 2, 2000, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have already run over 300 rounds through it. It shoots great as far as I can tell. I still gotta get a better scope though, sometimes I'm shooting at a target and sometimes it's just a blurry blob of paper.