PDA

View Full Version : When does the assault rifle ban expire?

newbirdhunter
October 13, 2002, 08:56 AM
Can anyone tell me when the assualt rifle ban expires and what does the expiration mean for a common joe like me?

Also, I know about the flash suppressor and bayonet lug were part of the "no no's" in the original bill, but what else did the ban exclude?

Thanks guys :D

Hkmp5sd
October 13, 2002, 09:00 AM
In theory, it expires in 2004 and then all of the evil features are again legal. In reality, it will be around forever. It banned flash suppressor, threaded barrels, folding stocks, bayonet lugs, magazines over 10 rounds.

newbirdhunter
October 13, 2002, 09:05 AM
Can't Bush just let it die in '04? Can't he sign something that says "this nonsense is over, live free again"? Wouldn't Ashcroft be the one to recommend it dies?

Hkmp5sd
October 13, 2002, 09:10 AM
Congress has to decide whether to extend the ban or to do nothing, at which time the ban goes away. Bush and the rest have no control over it.

yankytrash
October 13, 2002, 09:19 AM
Bush can veto the rule, but his veto can be overridden by a 2/3 vote on the Senate. That's where Hk's coming from. It's widely thought that most politicians consider it to be "political suicide" to let the bill die.

I am of the opposite opinion, as long as the facts are presented before the Senate, but we shall see.

Kharn
October 13, 2002, 10:50 AM
You need both houses to have a 2/3s majority to override a veto. The House knows what happened in the '94 elections after gun owners voted out a lot of Democrats who voted for the bill. The bill barely passed in '94, I think if the House remains Republican, we will be ok.

Kharn

yankytrash
October 13, 2002, 11:00 AM
I hope so. My reps are for it dying, I know ("or so they tell me", I should've said ;) ).

yorec
October 13, 2002, 05:54 PM
Call me cynical, but I dont' believe anything good will come from politicians in reference to our freedom...

Here's to hoping I'm wrong!

Hkmp5sd
October 13, 2002, 05:58 PM
It will have to be decided in congress because I do not think Bush will veto it in an election year. He'll take the same road Bush the First took, the gun owners will vote for him because he is the only thing they have and by continuing the ban, he might pick up some of the gun control votes.

Of course, this backfired for Bush the First when the NRA refused to endorse him.

newbirdhunter
October 13, 2002, 06:01 PM
I think HK is right: too hot a potato for the boy king to decide, especially in an election year with congress up for grabs. It would be nice though if the ban just died....

Pvt. Joker
October 13, 2002, 08:40 PM
Bush has been documented saying he will SIGN an Assault Weapons ban Renewal bill.

Call/write your congressmen, no more ban!

-Jared

Freightman
October 13, 2002, 10:02 PM
Wil not happen, there are too many nuts out there abusing there right to own a gun.
Anyhow how many times have you ever seen anything pased by the government repealed!

MiniZ
October 13, 2002, 10:22 PM
The current law HAS TO sunset in '94.

However, as previously discussed, I feel a new version will take its place. George Jr. has no interest in pleasing those of us that are interested in "homeland defense" weapons, and the Congress and Senate will not commit the "political suicide" that will ensue if they let the current ban lapse without something to replace it.