PDA

View Full Version : M1A Nat. Match / Looking for bolt action alternative

Strabs
January 25, 2000, 11:47 PM
I've been seriously looking at the national match /super match Springfields for a future purchase, but I've always wanted a bolt gun. I feel that the Springfield could be one of the greatest things to have, but for some reason there's something about a bolt action that keeps pulling me away from making the purchase. My question is this:
What suggestions would someone have in finding the right bolt action along the lines of (if such an animal exists) .308 win., heavy barrel(floated or not?), iron sights as well as scope, box fed or 10 rnd. plus or minus capacity. Are there guys who can build this or customize a 700 BDL to these specs?
Not concerned about $ right now (somewhere
in the M1 ange anyway), I'm just doing my homework so that I'll end up with the right gun in the end.
Thankyou for your time,...I must now go hold one of my guns to make me feel secure once again.

headroom
January 26, 2000, 02:33 AM
for 4 or 5000 bucks you can get a robar or an accuracy int'l. How about and M700 action, get the bolt lugs lapped, put a 3 position safety on it, get a good barrel like a douglas or shilen and a good stock. The accuracy international chassis for the 700 short action is only about 600 bucks. Or maybe an HS precision stock. The sendero is not a bad package all by itself. Get the redfield de palma style sights and a quick release scope mount with a leupold mil dot and you'd be set. However, i reccomend getting the M1A because you will still be able to get a bolt gun in the future but the M1A may soon no longer be available.

Schmit
January 26, 2000, 06:46 AM
Strabs

Check out this current topic... it asks about just the type of Rifle your looking for and will give you leads on currently manufactured items of this nature.

http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/001726.html

That said... when I wanted an accurate bolt .308 I ended up with an Accuracy International AWP. It has all the features you ask for in your post sans the open sights. I didn't feel I needed iron sights on a rifle that was going to be used strictly for long range. But if you have to have iron sights then a better choice (from AI) would be the AW.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited January 26, 2000).]

Gale McMillan
January 26, 2000, 09:43 AM
Take a look at the new david Tubbs /McMillan match rifle on www.mcmfamily (http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcbros/tactical/tubb1.jpg) Its new,different and shoots1/3 MOA

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited January 26, 2000).]

Strabs
January 26, 2000, 10:14 AM
Thanks Schmit, Good info at those postings. Just went back and found posting on Rich Lucibellas LURCR setup. Now that's what I had in mind. Good utility,multi function rifle. Don't know about the LURCR accesory stuff, but the rifle itself...WOW. What kind of performance could be expected from the 20" bbl. vs 24"-26"? Also I know it's not typical, but is it feasable/realistic to install iron sights on a heavy, floated barrel?( just think this would be a nice option for " just in case you need em ".
By the way Gale, thats a really nice settup(Tubbs/Mcmillan Match rifle) nice job!

alan
January 27, 2000, 05:19 PM
Strabs:

A few thoughts. Several posts mention Remington rifles, of various persuasions, and other "special order" types.

Nothing really wrong with Remingtons, I used to shoot a 40X, and it was a very accurate rifle, out of the box. For National Match Course shooting, back when 30 caliber was the thing, I found the model 70 Winchester handeled much better, as an across the course rifle. I have several of the old Standard Target Winchester 70's, one in 30-06, the rest in 308 win.

I shot left handed, and the Remington simply didn't work that way, till I had it converted. You might take a look at the current Winchester, Model 70's. I used, most of the time, Redfield Olympic "iron sights", as the NMC did not allow optics. In those days, I could shoot the 1000 yard target (5V) as well or better with irons than with a scope sight, believe that or not.

Re magazine capacity, with bolt rifles, I believe that you will have to work with 5 rounds, though who knows what someone might have come up with.

These days, if one were going to fire the NMC, I believe that the AR-15/M-16 type rifle would be the way to go, especially if you were interested in "service rifle", or "leg match" competition. Good luck,

Alan