PDA

View Full Version : m1a

mongrel66
January 24, 2000, 05:24 PM
okay...theres a shop locally with an m1a sst nm barrel..synthetic stock..match sites and trigger for 1400 american...should i buy the thing or are there better deals?i want an m1a, i just want to pay a fair price.

Outlaw1
January 24, 2000, 05:37 PM
Buy!
My Standard costs almost that much. Get it while you can!

------------------
Screw the Anti's!!

HankL
January 24, 2000, 07:17 PM
Wait one! M66 are you talking a Springfield "registered trademark" M1A or something on say another receiver? Might make a bit of difference.
Hank

mongrel66
January 24, 2000, 08:23 PM
it's a springfield...i realize they just slap rifles together and i'll need work done to it to get it to the 800m max eff range that i want..its not norinco

Jake 98c/11b
January 24, 2000, 10:07 PM
Is it a national match gun or just the barrel? If it is a nat. match it will also have the match sights and other match parts. The national match gun would be worth that I guess but it seems a bit high for a standard. Unless it comes with extras that is. It is possible that prices are higher in your locale than mine, works that way sometimes.

mongrel66
January 25, 2000, 09:25 AM
is there a way to id a natl match gun...i can id the barrel...i dont have a clue as to the sights...will there be anything i can see on the weapon to know...bedding, a stamp, a certain serial # prefix...otherwise i have to take the dealers word for it..

Alan B
January 25, 2000, 10:38 AM
mongrel66
I saw a brand new Springfield M1A the other day that had an all GI trigger group. Kinda made me mad as the one I bought a few years back, the trigger housing was not GI(its a cast part). Not all new Springfield rifles are worth the price and some are bargins. When you consider that a receiver is $450 and a GI parts kit is around $700 plus $100 to assemble a rifle, $1400 for a NM that has good parts isnt bad.

VictorLouis
January 25, 2000, 02:01 PM
"Helped" build a couple of these while in
the service. Can't remember enough
details! Taught that a proper bedding job
would result in the rifle ringing,like a
tuning fork, when releasing the bolt
forward onto an empty chamber. Your
dealer may not be keen on this practice,
but otherwise, that doesn't sound like a
bad price.

MontaniSemperLiberi
January 25, 2000, 06:01 PM
The price you quoted is a fair price if it has been bedded, has NM sights,flash hider bored out to .45, so on and so on. The rear sight will have the NM stamped on the right windage drum and the threads are 64tpi as opposed to 32 which is what provides .5 moa adjustment. If Springfield Arms Inc. built the rifle, you will probably notice a small detent ball under the windage drum. This is how they obtain the .5moa adjustment instead of the threaded travel screw. Both work, but the ball spring systems is not as precise as the true NM. The rear aperture should be hooded and by rotating the hood you obtain .5moa adjustment in elevation. By rotating the elevation drum one click, you actually move the sight a full 1 moa and split it in half with the rotation of the hood. A small notch on the hood tells the rifleman where he is in regards to elevation on the hood. Mark it w/ white paint ball pen for quick visibility. I have been shooting these things since the early 70's and I have yet to see a "rack" grade M1A not hold the 10 ring out to and including the 600 yd line.
Springfield Armory Inc's built match rifles are good value. There are builders out there who can and o build better shooting rifles than the SA's, but the cost goes quite high. I believe a Fulton Arms top of the line version is near 3000.00?? Parts readily available and the operator can do much of the tuning/repairs on his own, other than the barrel work. Once the barrel is shot out, must replace. That job w/ a decent Douglas barrel, will run you about 200.00. Military and civilian shooters routinely use the M1A/M14 at the 1K line and that is a stretch for it, but they will suprise you.

mongrel66
January 26, 2000, 12:29 PM
okay...heres the digs...its called a "loaded" m1a...it has the bored out flash supp, a med sst nm barrel...a nm trigger..a non hooded rear sight and a smaller front..it is NOT bedded..i can but a standard for 1069 american..and have now found the loaded for 1360...i want to make the equivalent of an m25...which is the better deal?i want accuracy to 700m with scope...with iron sights i would hope at least 500m..please what should i do?is it worth the extra 300 for the barrel trigger flash supp and smaller moa sights?

mongrel66
January 27, 2000, 09:36 AM
i bought one...but i passed on the sst barrel and got a reg nm...yeee haaaaa!!!!!!!
thanks for y'alls help

Johnce
January 27, 2000, 10:45 AM
Mongrel66,
I've got a M1a, .308, douglas match barrel, match sights, glass bedded, compitition sling, this thing is perfect and one hell of a shooter, and i'll throw in 5 magazines, and 8 boxes of lake city match ammo, $1500.00, oh this rifle also has the up graded stock, and is from springfield armory, in case your interested.