PDA

View Full Version : Good rust remover found

Al Thompson
October 5, 2002, 07:00 PM
Last spring I purchased a 870 that had some rust in the magazine tube. I searched TFL and found a recommendation for CorrosionX.

This stuff works very well. Over the last few months I'ved freed rusted bolts and cleaned a few guns with it. Had an expensive set of wood vises that got rusted and corrosionX did a much better job of cleaning that WD-40, marvels mystery oil or Marine PAL.

The company recommends it for boat trailers and electrical connections - have not tried either of those applications myself.

The fluid appears to be an oil, though exact formula is not stated. Pleasant smell, though Tetra does not bother me, so your warned. :) Nice 100% money back guarantee as well.

Web site is www.corrosionx.com

HSMITH
October 5, 2002, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the recommendation!!!!!! Up till now I have used the Kano Labs "Kroil" for rust busting, and it is truly a miracle fluid, but is not easily accessible locally. If I run out of Kroil I have something else to run through the test.

Kentucky Rifle
October 6, 2002, 12:19 PM
I'll second HSMITH's thank you. I need something to remove rust. All my tools are in the basement. My bench--EVERYTHNG. We had a weird storm that the weatherman said "trained", right up the Ohio Valley. (For HOURS!!) My little sump pump couldn't keep up. The next morning I got up to find four feet of water in my basement!:( Water was right up to the top of the control panels of the washer/dryer set. When I got the water out, the first thing I bought was a high capacity, underwater sump pump. If the power doesn't go out, it will pump out 3000 gallons per hour into the storm drain. Even with all the drying off, most all of my tools rusted. They still work, but everytime I use them, I end up with orange hands.
I'll certainly give this stuff a try.

KR

johnwill
October 6, 2002, 04:56 PM
Now you know why I have two sump pumps on different electrical circuits. :D It also helps to have a generator for those times the power does go out...

cpileri
October 6, 2002, 06:56 PM
Naval jelly strips blueing. Does CorrosionX?

Maybe we can get the propritor to send free little samples like the FP-10 awhile back.
That was nice stuff, too. (the FP-10)
C-

Kentucky Rifle
October 7, 2002, 09:35 AM
What output size is your generator and where do you keep it when you have to fire it up? I've got a screened in back porch that would be perfect, but still it would be pretty noisy for the neighbors. (Although those little Honda generators are fairly quiet.)
I WAS planning to put another gunsafe in the basement. Not now though! Most gunsafes have a "heat rating" in case of a fire--but NONE that I've ever seen say "waterproof". It scares me to death to think about putting my good shotguns and rifles "down there". It's only happened one time, but THAT night EVERYONE'S basement got flooded. And this is a high area too. It was really weird.

KR

Ledbetter
October 7, 2002, 01:03 PM
and their basements are flooding, they will be too busy to mind you generator.

Regards.

Clayton Hufford
October 8, 2002, 06:35 AM
Corrosion-X is indeed excellent stuff. The customer service at Corrosion Technologies is great, too.

FWIW, the gun specific formula is the same as the regular stuff, just a different applicator and label.

Corrosion-X is a bit expensive, but well worth the money, IMHO.

The only other gun care product that compares is FP-10 CLP.

www.fp10.com

www.corrosionx.com

Best regards,
Clay

Jim V
October 8, 2002, 07:39 AM
If you want Kroil (http://www.kanolaboratories.com), Kano Laboratories will sell direct w/no shipping fees.

Kentucky Rifle
October 8, 2002, 10:12 AM
That was part of the whole weird experience! Water was coming in like Noah's flood, but the power didn't go out! Everybody had a normal little sump-pump that was perfect for washing out your basement or something, but ALL the sump pumps were overwhelmed by the volume of water that came in. I could see that mine wasn't going to do the job, and when the water got up to the motor, I unpluged it.
The people next door had a kid who lived in their basement who NEVER unplugged ANYTHING. (Electric guitar, stereo, etc...) They couldn't even go into their basement with fishing waders. As soon as they touched the water, they got a great little electric shock!

KR

Al Thompson
October 8, 2002, 04:01 PM
CorrosionX does not harm bluing. Best use is freeing stuck bolts, IMHO, but did a great job on some pistols. My body chemistry has apparently changed. I used to never have to worry about fingerprint rust, but opened the safe and had several guns with orange spots. :mad: :eek:

Meanoldfart
October 17, 2002, 10:25 AM
I'll chime in here about rust removal.
I use 1/2 regular vinegar and 1/2 water, it will remove rust and bluing.
In a situation where all your tools are rusted, you can mix up a gallon or two and let them soak for an hour or two, brush with a brass brush and dry. Then add your favorite oil.:p

johnwill
October 18, 2002, 08:16 AM
What output size is your generator and where do you keep it when you have to fire it up?
KR, I wasn't ignoring you, I just missed reading this thread again. :) I have a 6000 watt generator in my garage with an exhaust out the side. I don't have provisions for unattended starting, but it's not a bad idea. I've considered replacing one of the sump pumps with the battery powered model, it has a large lead-acid battery on trickle charge and will run for hours during a power outage. Of course, I also don't keep my guns in the basement! :D