PDA

View Full Version : Murderous Loser in Maryland

ReadyOnTheRight
October 4, 2002, 09:19 AM
I was watching the FBI Agent show off an AR-15 and a bolt-action .223 in a press conference. The press all kept asking questions about "lethality of the bullet?"..."can anyone just go out and buy one of these?"..."How far can this AR-15 thingee shoot?"...

Why doesn't ANYONE in the news point out that rifles and semi-trained shooters have been able to make these kinds of shots for 200+ years? This is what guns do.

It's the fault of the idiot shooting the gun. Not the gun, not the gun shop and not millions of responsible gun owners.

I hope they catch this idiot soon.:mad:

JMax
October 4, 2002, 09:33 AM
I agree. Makes me sick how the blame gets pointed at the type of weapon used.

JMax

rhedley
October 4, 2002, 09:54 AM
Strange how the semi-auto weapons go from being a good tool of the LE/ Military to the EVIL BLACK ASSAULT WEAPON. The report then goes on to show a typical hunting weapon, even thou it is a favorite of the Sniper trade.
This incident will be used by the "Anti-gunners." They will never admit it's the person misusing the tool that's the problem.

Futo Inu
October 4, 2002, 10:24 AM
Yeah, it's amusing that the average non-firearms-knowledgeable person thinks that mid-powerd "EBRs" are "sniper rifles" - I've had at least one acquaintance who insists on calling my SKS a "sniper rifle" even after several explanations that it's not (it's got black folding stock, etc. - and once had a scope on it).

The fundamental problem, of course, is that most of the sheeple ACCEPT the notion that it IS ok for police/military to have access to weapons that civis should not (in their minds). This mindset must be changed - that's why Chuck Hestons successor MUST hoist a homeland defense rifle. Write your NRA board members...

Waterdog
October 4, 2002, 10:36 AM
Government (bureacracy) setup. Pure propaganda.

Waterdog

DMK
October 4, 2002, 11:48 AM
How far can this AR-15 thingee shoot Heck, ever a 22LR can be lethal up to a mile or so. :rolleyes:

I'd love to see a CCW owner take this jacka** out. Oh, wait a minute. They don't have too many there.

Blackhawk
October 4, 2002, 12:06 PM
I'd love to see a CCW owner take this jacka** out. Oh, wait a minute. They don't have too many there. Which is probably a BIG factor in the murderer's choice to shoot up Maryland instead of Florida, Texas, Virginia, etc.... Those folks can shoot back!

cslinger
October 4, 2002, 12:55 PM
This guy is smart and you would have to be in the right place at just the right moment to be able to notice the shot being fired and be in a position to return fire.

Guns are loud but a single shot of a relatively small caliber from an enclosed vehicle with all the ambient noise and the minds general ability to dismiss things that shouldn't be there, IE that couldn't have been a gun shot.....could it, would make it tough for a CCW holder to get this guy.

All that aside, CCW holder, COP, gangbanger, little old lady, I don't care who does it, but somebody needs to put this animal down.

Chris

m1shooter
October 4, 2002, 03:11 PM
I have'nt read al the posts on this subject but how do they know its a .223? Are they finding shell casings or just digging the bullet out of the bodies? Because 22-250,222,220 swift,and I know im forgetting some other calibers, shoot the same bullet.

edit:

Never mind after reading through some threads I see the same question asked.

CZ Gunner
October 4, 2002, 03:27 PM
Can't help but wonder if he'd be as bold if more people carried their own pieces.

Maybe OJ could run him down while he's looking for his wife's killer?

Someone needs to put that dog down for keeps.

ReadyOnTheRight
October 4, 2002, 03:27 PM
This morning in the FBI Special Agent's press conference, they held up a .223 cartridge, but told the reporters that .223 was one of four possible cartridges -- which were on a table. I didn't see shots of the table or hear them mention the specific cartridges.

chaim
October 4, 2002, 03:36 PM
Which is probably a BIG factor in the murderer's choice to shoot up Maryland instead of Florida, Texas, Virginia, etc.... Those folks can shoot back! Um, there was a shooting in Fredricksburg, VA that fits the pattern of these shootings today. Long distance shot, randomly chosen victim in a shopping center parking lot. Oh, yeah, Fredricksburg is within about 30 min from where yesterday's shootings took place.

Blackhawk
October 4, 2002, 03:42 PM
Seems like VA has some strange grandfather rights where towns can do their own CCW thing.

If that's true, does anybody know if Alexandria, Fredricksburg, etc., hew near the DC/MD "no guns for our citizen victims" mentality?

David Park
October 4, 2002, 03:48 PM
CCW is statewide in VA, but open carry is restricted in some cities (not Fredericksburg). Lots of VCDL and TFL members locally that carry, including myself. The sad fact is that a CCW doesn't help if you're already in the other guy's sights (although a vest might).

I have to wonder if this latest shooting isn't a copycat hoping, for example, to murder his wife and have it blamed on the "shooting spree" killers.

Rickstir
October 4, 2002, 03:55 PM
Recently saw presentation about medical software. The doctor giving the presentation was one who treated the kids at Columbine. He talked about it, even played a 911 tape of the thing. That had nothing to do with his presentation but....

Anyway he said the wounds were caused by a TEC9. The TEC9 was a 9mm and you should have seen how horrible the holes were. I explained afterward that it wasn't the TEC9, it was the bullet. Told him I had a 9mm pistol that would do the same damage with the right bullet. He completely fogged over. Couldn't grasp what I was trying to say. But you can bet the novices in the audience went away with his interpretations.

Archer1440
October 4, 2002, 03:57 PM
a CCW doesn't help if you're already in the other guy's sights (although a vest might).

Most vests are not proof against a .223 round.

The armed citizen has at least a chance of returning fire- something an unarmed victim has no chance of.

CZ Gunner
October 4, 2002, 04:09 PM
"a CCW doesn't help if you're already in the other guy's sights (although a vest might)."

Maybe not, but it may help the citizen who happens to see him take the shot keep him/her from taking another one at someone else!

Blackhawk
October 4, 2002, 04:26 PM
I have to wonder if this latest shooting isn't a copycat hoping, for example, to murder his wife and have it blamed on the "shooting spree" killers. Yeah. I've wondered if the first victim wasn't the target, and all the others cover ups.... Didn't several hours elapse between the first and second shooting, like overnight...?

CZ Gunner
October 4, 2002, 04:33 PM
... not a time to make your wife mad at you, especially if there is a .223 around the house!

waynzwld
October 4, 2002, 04:50 PM
the four rounds they had on display were:
22-250
220 Swift

cadfael
October 4, 2002, 05:07 PM
Strange how the semi-auto weapons go from being a good tool of the LE/ Military to the EVIL BLACK ASSAULT WEAPON. The report then goes on to show a typical hunting weapon, even thou it is a favorite of the Sniper trade.

Wasn't it Oleg Volk who advocated having all weapons painted dayglo colors? Afterall what self-respecting criminal would ever use a bright pink weapon?

Adam

(fixed typo)

rhedley
October 4, 2002, 05:15 PM
Wasn't it Oleg Volk who advocated having all weapons painted dayglo colors? After all what self-respecting criminal would every use a bright pink weapon?

But I prefer BLUE.. :)

Bogie
October 4, 2002, 05:18 PM
Given the reports of a small hole through the glass in the case of the window behind the woman who was shot in the head, I think I'd have to lean toward a .223 - reason being that most of the other rounds are generally loaded with expanding/varmint-style bullets, but the .223 FMJ-type round, with a central impact, would stand a very good chance of exiting the skull intact with little "Kennedy-style" splatter. For what it's worth, I don't think that Kennedy was shot with the FMJ type of bullet that they put on display.

Cosmoline
October 5, 2002, 08:04 PM
Those worthless pieces of garbage from the ATF are using this shooting as an excuse to wave assault rifles in front of the press, knowing that the Assault Weapons Ban is set to sunset in a few years. There is no evidence that an assault weapon was used in these slayings. In fact, the evidence indicates that:

--SINGLE SHOTS are taken, with no repeats
--BRASS is not flying out
--LONG RANGE ACCURACY points to a bolt action with a scope
--Nor are they sure it's a .223, just that it was likely a .22 caliber weapon of some type.

What's worse, the terrorist shooter, or the bureaucrat who takes advantage of the killings to press his own agenda?

MeekAndMild
October 5, 2002, 09:03 PM
Add 'hungry newshound' to the list of possible suspects for the shooter. Nothing like a good serial killing to sell a lot of air time. :rolleyes:

ReadyOnTheRight
October 5, 2002, 09:29 PM
--LONG RANGE ACCURACY points to a bolt action with a scope

Yeah -- They are going to go after "assault" scopes now.

I heard Greta Van Whatever say "...so with a scope on a rifle, someone like me could even make these shots...".

Sure ...a lot of people with a little practice could make these shots. The point is -- ONLY A MURDERER MADE THESE SHOTS.

One in three people could probably buy a similar rifle and make a similar shot with a little practice, but only one in XXX Billion people would actually do this.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but we need to spread this message to our friends and family.

David Park
October 6, 2002, 12:21 AM
MeekAndMild wrote: Add 'hungry newshound' to the list of possible suspects for the shooter. Nothing like a good serial killing to sell a lot of air time. Bingo! The police have been relatively unbiased in describing the possible weapon used, based on the briefings I've heard. The problem is, they have to try and explain the details to the typically ignorant, biased, and sensationalistic media, who then edits and "simplifies" the police data for us stupid viewers.

11.43x23 wrote: I know I'm preaching to the choir, but we need to spread this message to our friends and family. Very good suggestion. My goal for next week is to spend less time posting on terrorist vs. nutcase, scoped bolt action vs. AR15, and more time explaining firearms to friends and co-workers.

BTW, I am buying a vest w/rifle plates ASAP. Call it part paranoia, part excuse-to-buy-something-expensive-I-already-wanted.