PDA

View Full Version : 11-87 Rifle to bead sight switch

PCC
October 2, 2002, 12:02 PM
I have an 11-87P black parkerized finish and 18” barrel. How are the rifle sights attached to the barrel? Can they be taken off with a torch (very slowly heat the barrel and remove sight)? Is silver solder what they use? What is silver solder anyway? How would you put the new bead sight on? Should I look at trading the barrel for a bead sight barrel, take it to a gun smith or change it myself? I keep the shotgun for home defense and fun, but the sights on it now are too slow. I am much better with a bead. I don’t think I will shoot slugs through it, but might some day. When I save enough money to take a real defense shotgun class, even then I think for my uses the bead is still better.
Thanks for your time.

9x45
October 2, 2002, 03:38 PM
The point of aim is for rifle sights. If you put a bead on the front it will shoot 3 feet high at 15 yards. Besides the front ramp is silver soldered on and you would have to refinish the barrel after removal.
Just buy a plain barrel if it bothers you that much. By the way, most competitive tactical shooters use ghost rings or rifle sights, not beads.

Dave McC
October 2, 2002, 05:37 PM
You could switch over to abead, but I'd not butcher that bbl to do so. A second bbl or trading yours for a bead bbl makes more sense.

Maybe a little practice will speed up those open sights.