PDA

View Full Version : .300 Win Mag or .308

newbirdhunter
October 1, 2002, 09:08 PM
Can someone explain to me the differences in these two calibers? Is one better than the other? How much greater is the recoil of a .300 Win Mag or .308 in comparison to my .30-06? I don't have plans to hunt more than whitetail this year but anticipate an Elk hunt next year.

Can someone recommend a good .300 Win Mag or .308 rifle? I'm thinking Ruger or Winchester.

Thanks,

NBH

C.R.Sam
October 1, 2002, 09:32 PM
In my experience...
with similar rifles...
300 Win Mag slightly more recoil than 06 which is slightly more than .308.

Any of the three more than adequate for any deer.

Flip a three sided coin. Good huntin ammo and good shootin will make more difference than any difference in the three cartridges.

Sam

SHIVAN
October 1, 2002, 09:39 PM
What are you going to use it for?

If you don't like Remington.....I'd get a Model 70 Winchester. Depending on your use you can get a heavy barreled one a sporting weight one.

Or if you like Remington you can get a Model 7 for the ultimate in light hunting rifle, or a BDL for your standard hunting weight rifle, or you can get a PSS/LTR or a Sendero/VS........

The 300WM is a powerful longer range cartridge and would be good if you plan on hunting paper at 600 yards, while the .308 will do it the WinMag will do it flatter.......:D

You could also use the WinMag to hunt elk, bear, etc.

The .308 gives you a ton a choices in surplus (read: cheap) ammo and would be a good round for whitetail and other medium size deer family critters, and honestly you can shoot either round to 1000yds.......but it's gonna cost ya.........

My personal preference is not Ruger......you can do better for less in the Remington/Winchester lines..........

Others will be along shortly to tackle the minute details I'm sure.

Ed

Art Eatman
October 1, 2002, 11:03 PM
The '06 will do you just fine for elk hunting. The discussion might more properly be, "Which bullet", and the consensus seems to be for a 180-grain for weight; a premium bullet for best efficiency.

There is an excellent article discussing cartridges, energy, bullet drop and recoil in the current "American Hunter".

For typical rifles and loads, a .308 at 300 yards will have remaining energy of 1,700 ft-lbs, a drop of 7.8 inches and a recoil force of 14.8 pounds.

The '06, 1,890; 8.1, and 20.0.

The .300 WinMag, 2,100; 7.2, and 27.2.

The table only says "typical" bullets; it doesn't give weights. All rifles sighted in for a 200-yard zero.

Note that there is no practical difference in trajectories. Not a lot in energy, either. It appears to me there is a noticeable difference in recoil...

Now, a fella wanting a new rifle really deserves one. :) I'd think that unless you're a regular reloader, the .308 would allow more shooting per dollar than the '06. No flies on the .300 WinMag, but it's expensive ammo and more recoil to get maybe 50 to 100 yards more killing range than the '06 you already have.

Which rifle? The one that just naturally fits you best, mounts to your shoulder "just right".

FWIW,

Art

dakotasin
October 1, 2002, 11:08 PM
as for brand, i'd go remington...then winchester...then ruger.

the 308 is a small step down in power from a 30-06, the 300 mag is a small step up in power from a 30-06.

if you are anticipating an elk hunt as the motivation for a new rifle i'd reccomend you step up to a 338 mag. more of everything: blast, recoil, energy, velocity, etc...

a 30-06 would work on elk, but if you want to step up, then step up to a 338...a 300 mag is not a big enough of a step to warrant a new rifle for an elk hunt over a 30-06...unless you just want a new rifle, in which case all my reasoning can be tossed out, and you get it just because.

robctwo
October 1, 2002, 11:50 PM
I have a Ruger 300 Win mag with a muzzle break. It kicks like a mule. I have a Remington 7400 '06 synthetic autoloader. Good gun, much less recoil. Reasonable accuracy. I have a new Browning 308 synthetic stalker autoloader. Less recoil still. Better accuracy. .270 and .243 Winchester Featherweights, bolts. Very accurate. All are legal for elk, but I would probably not use the .243. All good for deer, but I would not use the Win mag. I am probably selling the mag, I just don't like the recoil. Each rifle has been purchased for a particular reason, to be the new rifle. They all have performed that function well. Good shooting

newbirdhunter
October 2, 2002, 06:54 AM
Thanks guys. It seems like the .30-06 will do me right for now.

Can anyone point me to a web site that explains ballistics and how to read ballistics tables? I get a little lost when reading them and, being new to hunting, I would like to know what I am supposed to be looking for.

Thanks again :)

omega5
October 2, 2002, 08:10 PM
The 300mag is a fine cartrige but I'm just not a fan of magnums. Give me a .308 or a 30.06. You never have to worry about finding ammo for either one and usually at half the price of the magnum stuff. For the difference in real world usable ballistics, recoil and the cost of ammo, it's not worth it.

robctwo
October 2, 2002, 09:47 PM
Go to the Remington home page www.remington.com, select ammunition and ballistics. Plug in you choice and get a good idea of what is out there. I printed them out for all the calibers I own. winchester also has the same deal, less choices. Oh, you can make some money from the guys at hunting camp if you start talking drop at 500 yards!

JohnKSa
October 2, 2002, 10:08 PM
I just read an interesting blurb in a gun rag.

The jist was that people with magnum rifles can't shoot them well.

1. Ammo is too expensive to be able to afford practice.
2. Recoil dissuades adequate practice.
3. Magnum calibers are often considered a crutch. (The power will make up for my poor shot placement.)

Personally, I think the statement is an overgeneralization and therefore not true in every case.

Still--food for thought.

jtduncan
October 2, 2002, 10:20 PM
You've had some excellent advice from some trustworthy folks here.

I've been considering the same idea - 30'06 or 308.

And since I reload, I can basically match '06 performance with less powder and shoot a lot more rounds.

But 30'06 is a classic cartridge - that few can dispute and it's readily available and even some can be purchased in battle packs affordablly.

Know lots of fellas that elk hunt with 30'06 around here so you should be fine.

But the Rem 700 bolt action is the rifle you should seriously consider. It has outsold all of its competitors over the years for a reason - it's an accurate and reliable design. Consider it.