PDA

View Full Version : Texas State Park Carry

SkySlash
September 30, 2002, 04:25 PM
My wife and I jumped in the car on Sunday afternoon, destination unknown and ended up driving in no planned direction for several hours. Our sight-seeing landed us at the gates of Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose, and having been there as a child, I decided to take her in to look around.

There were no 30.06 signs posted, no "NO FIREARMS" signs that I saw, and I couldn't recall having read any Penal Code in the past that forbid licensed carry in a State Park.

The dilemma of course is, is it legal or not, and if not, could I have a reference to the law making it illegal please.

This had me considerably on guard while in the park since I wasn't sure, and certainly is going to be a concern in the future if we decide to go to a state park again. I'm not leaving a gun at home when I travel to a state park just because I can't carry it in the park, if that's the case, I just won't go. I need to know the legality of the issue for sure because it's bugging me.

The bulletin board in the office said something on the park rules about no objects capable of expelling a cartridge or projectile, obviously a firearm, but I want to know if that is legally backed by Statute, or just an administrative park rule that doesn't apply to me.

I found 59.134(f) of the Texas State Park Regulations, but that statute is confusing given that other firearms law conflicts with it.

Thanks for any help!

-SS

LiveWire
September 30, 2002, 05:09 PM
Good question. I'm planning a trip to one of our state parks very soon too, and for the same reason I am eager to know the rules.

59.134(f) of the Texas State Park Regulations says...

It is an offense to:

1) possess a firearm with a cartridge or projectile in any portion of the mechanism, except when authorized by the commission or the director;

2) display a firearm, except when authorized by the director; and

3) discharge across, in, or into a state park any arm, firearm, or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying public or private property except when authorized by the director.

From the looks of it, a visitor needs authorization from the park director. But how exactly does one go about getting it?

Blackhawk
September 30, 2002, 05:19 PM
I think some things need to be kept in mind.

Nobody can carry concealed anywhere in public in Texas unless:

LEO,
CHL,
etc.?

CHL holders cannot carry concealed in certain public places

schools,
courts,
etc.

CHL holders cannot carry on private property if

A sign meeting the statutory requirements is posted.
The property is a business establishment deriving more than 51% of its revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages.
etc.?

Seems like a prohibition against carrying in Texas State Parks should be squeezed right in there with schools, courts, etc., shouldn't it...? If it ain't there, what's the problem...? :D

The "Rules of Conduct" section of the Texas State Park Regulations LiveWire quoted means that "offense" means a breach of the Rules of Conduct as opposed to a criminal offense under the Penal Code. Statutes have a way of trumping regulations every time, FWIW.

WilderBill
September 30, 2002, 09:48 PM
But did you stop at the shop/museum on the square in Glen Rose to get your Dinosaur Hunting License?
I'm sure that would make all the difference...;)

mec
September 30, 2002, 10:29 PM
Letter from the director of Parks and Recreation of the State of Texas states that the Texas Concealed Handgun license is valid in State parks. This can be found on the Texas State Rifle Association web site as well as the Texas concealed handgun instructors site.

SkySlash
October 1, 2002, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the info! For some reason I just couldn't find anything about this looking on my own.

-SS

Long Path
October 1, 2002, 09:25 AM
Anybody got a link to that letter?

Good discussion. I'd never researched this one.

BTW, I'm going on vacation next week into Big Bend Ntl. Park-- anyone know the skinny on fed law regarding carry there? (Note: this is not strictly going to affect anything I do there. It's in TX, and when I go out and about in the state of Texas while wearing pants, I'm armed.)

[Not that you'll likely find me out and about without pants... :) ]

King
October 1, 2002, 11:14 AM
Hey LongPath.....your trip to Big Bend should be pretty nice. I just got back from a West Texas motorcycle tour to Marathon (about 100 miles north of BB) and the hills around Alpine, Ft Davis and the McDonald Observatory.

To the best of my knowledge, you'll be able to conceal carry legally while in Big Bend as long as you are licensed to do so. Last tim I was through there, I did not see and evidence to the contrary and I would not hestitate to do so myslef.

Have a great trip...be sure to go to "The Basin", Santa Elena Canyon, and Boquias (not spelled that way). Lajitas and Terlingua are nice side tours as well. Hiking.....do the South Rim if you can.

Long Path
October 19, 2002, 12:57 PM
Had a great time, but got rained out of Big Bend, and went north to Guadalupe Nat. Pk, and on to other points of interest. Well do I know the Basin, Santa Elena, et al. Would like to make a run to Boquillas.

Interesting similar current thread here (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135943).

--L.P.

MikeTx
October 19, 2002, 01:22 PM
You can find info on it here (www.tsra.com). Look on the left and click on the CHL info link. I always carry in the parks. You never know when some crazed half naked babe will want to see it! :D