PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 v. CZ 85

glock glockler
September 27, 2002, 04:52 PM
I was planning on getting a CZ 75 and having it completely pimped out, with trigger work and adjustible sights being on the list. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get a CZ 85 instead, I tried the trigger and was very impressed by it, so much so that I would consider leaving it as is. The adjustibe sights are neat as well, though I was planning on putting night sights on it.

What do you think: CZ 75 with work to be done or just get the 85 and shut up?

Thanks

Tecolote
September 27, 2002, 05:02 PM
Why not the CZ85 Combat? It's got factory trigger work, the slide and barrel are hand fitted, and it comes with adjustable grips. :)

Adjustable sights. :confused:

MessedUpMike
September 27, 2002, 05:12 PM
Adjustable grips?????

Shmackey
September 27, 2002, 08:02 PM
I own a 75B and I've tried an 85B. No difference in the triggers (both good) and CZ themselves will tell you that.

CZ says that the differences are ambi controls and target sights.

The Combat model has no firing pin block, so it might have a better trigger. Odd, though, that the Combat model would sacrifice some safety for a traditionally target-oriented approach.

Walt Sherrill
September 27, 2002, 08:53 PM
The 85 Combat does NOT have adjustable grips.

It does have adjustable sights, ambi controls (like the 85B), a drop-free mag brake and, more importantly, NO FIRING PIN BLOCK, which makes for a slightly better trigger, out of the box.

The trigger is adjustable for over-travel only, which is nice, but nothing all that great or important unless you are a REALLY, REALLY GOOD RAPID SHOT. (Most of us can't take advantage of this feature.)

I've never heard that the slide and barrel were hand-fitted, and I've been following info about these guns for a long time. (I've had one for almost two years.) I think the original poster may have confused the 85 Combat with some of the CZ IPSC or Champion guns, which are far more refined and get a lot of hand fitting. Marvelous guns. I wish I could afford one.

The 85 Combat is a maravelous gun and does seem to be better finished than the 75Bs/85b-- but I wouldn't swear to that. But it doesn't seem to be much better than my pre-B 75 (also withing a firing pin block.)

My 85 Combat has been upgraded with a Champion sear, which seems to improve the trigger a bit.

The DA trigger on mine is so good, I no longer shoot from cocked and locked, and the SA has only the slightest hint of creep before it breaks crisply. I may try to get that removed, one of these days.

Its my favorite gun for IDPA.

Tecolote
September 27, 2002, 10:47 PM
I corrected the mistake about sights for grips, so no need to sweat that anymore. :)

Walt,

Like you I've been following CZs for years. I heard that the Combat had hand fitted parts from a very reputable CZ dealer in 1990 during a trip to Latin America. When CZ first started coming into the US market around 1996 they advertised the combat as being hand finished and having the internal parts plated with valadium (sp?) to make them smoother. The Combats that I handled in the mid 1990s had much smoother pulls and very tight lock up compared to the CZ85s and CZ75s. I'm referring to the CZ85 Combat models that came equipped with a unique rear adjustable sight, it looked a lot like typical CZ rear sight except they could be adjusted for windage and elevation.

I don't know if the CZ85 Combat is now just a glorified CZ85, but back in 1990s they were more than just CZ85s with adjustable sights.

Christopher II
September 27, 2002, 11:32 PM
My next CZ will be an 85 Combat, as will all the following ones.

Biggest reason is, believe it or not, the firing pin block. Not the firing pin safety, I could care less about that. But the firing pin block makes it far easier to strip out the firing pin for maintinence, instead of fooling with that damn roll pin.

I also like having the adjustable overtravel stop, although when you get it adjusted how you like you should have it silver-soldered in place. Sucks to have that screw back out under recoil. I have two CZs, one with the overtravel stop and one without, and the overtravel stop makes a big difference in trigger feel.

The internals on the 85 are plated with Berryllium Copper (sp?) Makes 'em smoother, I guess.

I really like CZ pistols, and the 85 Combat is the best of the bunch. They could go ahead and ditch the ambi slide release, but that's no big thing...

- Chris

glock glockler
September 29, 2002, 03:48 PM
I don't suppose CZ has factory night sight? The adjustible sights are pretty neat but it'd be way cool to have night sights on that girl.

Also, if I did want to have trigger work on a CZ, like my 97, who is the man to have that done by?

Thanks

Christopher II
September 29, 2002, 04:42 PM
CZ does offer PT night sights as a factory option, but you have to go to the factory to get them. They're pretty good, but not as nice as Trijicons. On the plus side, the rear PT sight is shaped perfectly for catching the belt during one-handed malfunction drills...

Teddy Jacobson (Actions by T) is often mentioned as a top CZ 'smith. Personally, I'd go with someone else. Teddy has said before that he doesn't like CZs and doesn't like working on them.

A shop that I've heard does awesome work is Evolution Gun Works. They work on CZs, and are supposed to be really skilled at trigger work (i.e. getting that last little bit of creep out.) EGW builds guns for Doug Koenig, among others.

Mike Eagleshield, the CZ-USA factory smith, is also supposed to do nice work.

- Chris