PDA

View Full Version : 9 MM Camp Carbine

stinx
September 22, 1999, 03:34 PM
I am in the market for a 9mm carbine. I came across a used Camp Carbine in excellent shape.The asking price is $199.00. Does any one have experience with this gun?

Chad Young
September 22, 1999, 04:22 PM
I purchased one of these same rifles last week, but have not taken it out to shoot it (too busy dodging hurricanes). Let me share what I have noted so far:

Good points:
1. Light and handy
2. Takes S&W 5900 series mages, from the compact10/12 round guys, to the aftermarket 30 round mags.
3. Has a loaded chamber indicator.
4. Cheap.
5. Automatic bolt hold-open on last shot.
6. Magazine safety.
7. Tapped for scope mounts.

Points I would improve on:
1. Smoother wood finish and stain.
2. Better rear sights.

Fit and finish is excellent. The received is tapped for scope mount and just begs for a 4.2X or 4X scope, or even a pro-point type item. When I shoot mine, I will be sure to post my results.

artech
September 24, 1999, 08:15 AM
I had one a while back and shot the hell out of it. Nice little carbine! My only complaint was that it was a little difficult to clean, but that was a pretty minor thing. It always worked well and was decently accurate. I'd get the one you are looking at. Hey, for that price, how could you miss?

Chad Young
September 24, 1999, 04:22 PM
Well, I finally got to go out and shoot my new Camp Carbine in 9mm. As promised, I will share my observations here.

General impressions:
1. Shoots like an M1A carbine. Little recoil and very accurate. I was able to put all the rounds in a very small circle in the black at 25 yards.

2. Recoil is mild, but a bit more than you might expect. Kind of feels like a .22 on steroids.

3. I could easily rapid-fire all ten rounds in the mag into the 10 ring of a human-outline police target in about 5 s.

4. The gun seems to prefer standard 9mm loads over the +P stuff. The +P cycled, but seemed less accurate and was smoky. I think sticking to heavy (124-147gr) JHP would be ieal for this gun.

5. I think I may mount mine with a pro-point style scope and use it for general plinking and critter control.

L8r!

Rich I
September 28, 1999, 09:01 PM
I, too, am considering the purchase of a 9mm Camp Carbine. While looking in the back of Guns and Ammo, I saw an ad for a Bullpup stock that works with a 9mm Camp Carbine. That would be cool, but I live in CA and wonder if that would be banned on 1/1/2000. Does anyone have any experience with a Bullpup stock from Fire Power? What is the overall length? If the puppy's banned (sorry, couldn't resist), then I'll go ahead and order one now.

TIA,
Rich

9mmMike
January 6, 2000, 06:36 PM
Hello there. My first post on this forum. I just bought a Camp-9. It has not arrived yet but I am sure that I will like it. I am really a pistol (Glock & Sig) fan but the Camp-9 seemed like such a cool carbine, I had to get one. Anyhoo, I just stopped in to say hello.
Mike

------------------
"Freedom is not free"

easyday
January 6, 2000, 08:35 PM
Rich 1, I had a camp 9 and liked it alot.
Loaded 124 gr. FMJ with 4.2 grs. W-231.
Very accruate fun plinker. It will take
S&W model 59 high cap. mags. if you can find
them. A word of caution on bull pup stocks.
The brass extracts only a few inches from
your eye, if you shoot right handed. Have a friend who could not adjust to this. I
now own an AR 9 and it has a brass deflector.
Have fun.
easyday

[This message has been edited by easyday (edited January 06, 2000).]

tatters
January 6, 2000, 08:45 PM
At what maximum range could one effect a kill on a midwestern groundhog with one of these rifles?

------------------
Something from our wine list?!!
Ford Fairlane

Bob Locke
January 7, 2000, 12:22 AM
Best group that I ever saw out of one of these carbines was about 3-4" at 100 yards, so I wouldn't go beyond that in trying to kill any little furry creatures.

Jimmie
January 7, 2000, 12:31 AM
I like the little carbine. Only thing I dislike is the mag release and the rear site.

You can count on an extra 100-150 fps from most posted specs for 9mm ammo because of the longer barrel.

This puts a 9mm+p in the same catagory with 357 mag. Should be slightly more powerful than a M1 carbine with standard 9mm ammo and cheaper to shoot.

Should do well on small varmits out to 75 yards.

Because of greater drag caused by the larger diameter .355 vs .308 the 9mm will lose velocity quicker than a M1 carbines, giving it a slightly less effective range and less power to penatrate hard targets.

The drop on a 125 gr bullet at 150 yards will be about 40 inches, limiting your range.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"