PDA

View Full Version : Vepr's in 308 - Pro's/Con's

44 Dan
September 22, 2002, 11:17 PM
I like the thumbhole stock version and was curious if the M-14 mag conversion really worked, provided you use good mags?

How's your accuracy and do you use a scope (which one?) ?

Reliability, ergonomics, muzzle break-yes/no ??

Where's the best place to order one?

Thank You For Your Opinions and Experiences, 44 Dan

BTW - I reveiwed the Vepr, Vepr K & Vepr II at Robinsons Armaments Website

JohnKSa
September 23, 2002, 08:36 PM
Guns with mag conversions, even professionally done, are more likely to have functioning problems than guns with factory mags.

That doesn't mean they all do, of course, just that your chances of problems are greater.

The 10 round mags from Robinson's are only thirty bucks. For the cost of the conversion and the higher price of the M14 mags, you could buy a lot of the original mags.

I bought mine from Robinson's direct.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet--next month maybe...

Nightcrawler
September 23, 2002, 08:49 PM
If you have a thumbhole version, the M14 or Galil Magazine conversion would be illegal without the installation of the appropriate number of US parts, increasing the cost quite a bit. I'd just stick with the 10 rounders, myself. 10+ capacity is more than adequate for most situations. The magazine ban bugs me so because it's unconstitutional, stupid, and worthless, not because I feel I need 20, 30, or 40 rounds per load to be effective. (The M1 Garand, one of the finest battle rifles ever, holds 8 rounds. Most shotguns, used by the military and SWAT teams alike for CQB, hold between 5 and 9 rounds.)

Even though I have my baby (FAL), I've been craving a VEPR .308 as well. The thumbhole version, even. Has that Dragunov look to it. I wish they'd make one in 7.62x54mmR, or a long action version in .30-'06 and 8mm Mauser. :cool:

As for the .223, 5.45mm, and 7.62mm VEPRs that take AK magazines, I've never heard of anyone having any feed problems with theirs.

44 Dan
September 23, 2002, 10:54 PM
I can live with 10rd mags and I understand what your talking about. I like to go with what works.
The mag conversion runs a little over $100.00 and I feel confident Robinson Armaments would make it all legal.
I have a few converted 20rd M14 mags for my AR-10A2 purchased from Armalite and they work 100%. Cost $75.00 ea. ouch!

I'm trying to decide between the L1-A1 or Vepr ????????????
Which would you go with? and why ? I'm fixing to buy one or the other $$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks Much For Your Time, 44 Dan

Anyone Else Feel Free To Chime In - Thanks

Nightcrawler
September 23, 2002, 11:33 PM
The ones RobArm is selling as converted are VEPR II .308s, which have pistol gripped stocks (and the US parts to make that legal). You'd have to have like 5 US parts to legally have a >10 round magazine in an imported semiauto.

The L1A1 you're probably looking at is probably built by Century from used parts. Sometimes they're good, sometimes not. They don't compare to DSA FALs, though, may require fixing up.

The VEPR, however, is an excellent quality gun that will be very reliable.

hksigwalther
September 24, 2002, 11:46 AM
I've got a Super Vepr (or Vepr Super depending on where you read it). The build quality of the gun is surprisingly high. Extremely well built with excellent fit and finish. If I took my time, I'm able to get 3-4 MOA with open sights and moderate over the counter ammo. Surplus opens up 0.5-1.0 MOA. Have stayed with factory plastic mags. Those are also well built.

It does, however, kick more than I had expected. Empty casings were sent all over but every one does come out.

ALso have a couple FALs. One parts gun, another DSA Medium. These kick a little less and get about the same accuracy. I can do much better with the DSA as it has a scope on it now.

The rifles have not problem eating Portuguese but the FALs have burped on Hirt on rare occassions. That stuff smells funky too.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either. The AK action seems to kick more. FAL 20 round mags can be had for as low as $10/ea. The FAL, at least mine, are slightly heavier than the SVepr.

JohnKSa
September 24, 2002, 10:40 PM
The Buffer Technologies AK buffer fits perfectly in the VEPR II rifles. Might help a bit with recoil.

Personally, I think the higher felt recoil is because the stock design in this case... Don't care much for the design of the synthetic stock Robinson puts on them.

hksigwalther
September 25, 2002, 08:11 PM
"The AK action seems to kick more."

In 7.62 X 51, that is.

JohnKSa
September 26, 2002, 12:01 AM
Just checked the Robinson website. 10 rounders are now $40. :mad:

Not impressed with that move...

JIH
September 26, 2002, 06:38 AM
Mark Krebs should be dancing.

That makes the conversion to M14 mags worth it.

dZ
September 26, 2002, 09:52 AM
.308 Thumbhole Vepr eyecandy:
http://www.americansforguncontrol.com/vepr/vepr.html

JohnKSa
September 26, 2002, 07:48 PM
That makes the conversion to M14 mags worth it.
Exactly what I was thinking...

They just priced themselves out of a lot of magazine sales--smooth move.

Nightcrawler
September 26, 2002, 09:56 PM
Remember, though, you can't legally convert the thumbhole stock VEPR to take M14 mags unless you add either 5 or 7 US parts, as I understand the stupid law. As such, I doubt Kreb's would do the conversion. Now, the VEPR II already HAS the US parts, so that's a different story.

Sergeant Bob
September 26, 2002, 11:39 PM
hksigwalther, the Super is one sweet looking piece of hardware! But I would have figured it a bit better in accuracy. Is 3-4 moa from a rest or offhand?