PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy AK 47 but where from

82ndson
September 18, 2002, 09:52 PM
I would like to buy an AK 47 but have many questions.

1. What type..I have seen stamped recievers...Cast recievers
Russin... Check....egyptian...

2. What caliber....7.62....223....308.....

3. What model....I understand some will not accept large capacity
mags...

4. Also pre Clinton ban rifels are available should I get one of
these....

5. What do they go for price wise...

I expect that you folks will have lots of good advice....
There are to many to choose from....THANKS

Hkmp5sd
September 18, 2002, 10:11 PM
As you can see, there are lots of choices, so it really depends on what you want to use the gun for, collecting, plinking, target shooting, hunting, etc.

PeteyPete
September 18, 2002, 10:27 PM
Get the cadillac of AK's...the Vepr "K" 7.62X39

or

the Arsenal SA-M7

82ndson
September 18, 2002, 10:27 PM
plinking target pratice....looking for more of a reliable rifle than say a collectors gun

Labuyo
September 18, 2002, 10:54 PM
To my experience, most if not all Ak's are reliable. The price usually dictates finish and what accessories goes with it, but reliablity is the same. I find the Bulgarian ones to be the most accurate variant I've tried (in 7.62 x 39). I hear nothing but high praises for the VEPR's though. ' might help to go to www.Ak-47.net its a forum dedicated to ak's. Good luck and safe shooting!

Tropical Z
September 19, 2002, 12:05 PM
If you don't mind the ten rounders;) ,get a Russian Saiga in 7.62x39 currently available at CDNN and Kieslers (look in shotgun news).They are built great and much better quality than the Romanians currently available.

MAKOwner
September 19, 2002, 03:28 PM
Price wise for a AK that actually looks like a real AK you can't go wrong with the Romanian SAR series, SAR1 in standard 7.62x39, SAR2 in 5.45x39 (AK74), and SAR3 in .223. They all run just under $300 wholesale, expect to pay $300-$350 at a gunshow. Fit and finish isn't quite as good as some of the other more expensive AKs you can buy (ie kinda ugly wood, metal finish doesn't have as much attention in the perfection department {still a quality finish}, etc). They are still 100% reliable unless you somehow get a lemon. I have both a SAR1 and 2 and really like them. Go here for an excellent page for info on the Romanian AKs. http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/ Also, for more AK info as was already mentioned go to the forums at ak-47.net here's a low quality pic of mine BTW: http://www.inter-scape.com/ray/sars.jpg

If you don't care if it looks like a real AK or not, the Russian Saiga AKs that www.cdnninvestments.com has in their downloadable catalog are nice. They are politically correct looking and don't take standard AK 30rnd mags, but you can convert it to take standard mags in no time flat. You can also convert it back to the standard AK pistol grip stock setup easier than you would think too. And since the 7.62x39 model is wholesaled at around $170 it's a freakin great deal. You can read up on the mag and pistol grip conversions go to the Build it Yourself forum at ak-47.net.

If you want the best AK you can get and aren't afraid to spend the money one of the VEPRs from www.robarm.com or one of the US made AKs like the SA-M7 (can't remember company) or one of the SSR series www.globaltrades.com is the hot ticket. Expect $600ish.

zxc
September 19, 2002, 09:21 PM
good experiences with Chinese versions.Good luck.

Barn Dog
September 20, 2002, 07:16 PM
Spend the money ($550) and get a Vepr II from Robinson Armament in 7.62 x 39. Accurate, built like a tank and cheap ammo. You will not be disappointed.

Keeper
September 20, 2002, 09:30 PM
I bought a vepr k and have no regrets. They are great rifles. That being said it depends on what you want. If you just want a knock around gun a sar might be a better bet. In my opinion the vepr is worth the money. The vepr comes with a side rail mount. I have a kobra that just came in the mail from CDNN. I will not be able to get it to the range for around two weeks. It is killing me. :)

liketoshoot
September 20, 2002, 09:39 PM
I saw those Saiga's in Shotgun News, too. They look like a really good deal.

I never shot that caliber before. How does it shoot compared to the .223. I know it's more recoil, but how much more (noise and recoil)?

JIH
September 21, 2002, 08:40 AM
The recoil is not that much greater than .223. Close to .243. There's not a lot of powder in that 39mm case, despite it shooting a .311 cal bullet.

I like my VEPR a lot. You can also buy a Saiga on the cheap and have it converted by Krebs Custom or AKUSA, or just buy a conversion direct from AKUSA. Another great option is an SA-M7.

M4A3
September 21, 2002, 12:30 PM
Just buy an AR-15 and be done with it.:D

Joe the Redneck
September 22, 2002, 09:43 AM
I have a Rom ak 75 in 5.45 and I love it. So far, getting ammo hasn't been a problem. For me, the 7.62 (Which I also have.)seems kinda, well, bouncy. I can't really call it recoil because of the lightness of the round. I just feel that it jumps around more than it should. Give the 5.45 a try. HIt the gun range and see it there are any ak shooters out there. Ask it you could try one out.

Help me out with something. Did the assualt weapons ban fall under the Klinton Admin or was it under George (The heck with bringing freedom to China, just let them shoot the students.)Bush SR? I'd love to pin it on Klinton, but I really think it happened under King George.

God, how I miss America.

Joe

MAKOwner
September 22, 2002, 04:48 PM
The original Import Ban came during Bush Sr, was just an executive order and some ATF rulings I think. That resulted in all the thumbhole stock weapons imported up until 94, but domestic guns during that time were unaffected. Then under Heir Klinton's watch the AWB came down the pipe to ban both domestic and import AWBs. Luckily it has enough holes that you just change the configuration of the gun slightly and boom, plenty of good stuff still being made...

82ndson
September 22, 2002, 08:31 PM
Thanks Guys

Next time I will be more specific about my questions..All the info is great...I was looking for an iron clad drop it in the mud pick it up and fire it kind of gun....nothing real pretty nothing real ugly...I just don't know a lot about the ak47....But the SAR1 seems to be the one...The local gun shop has one for $339...What mods can I do legally...bayonette attachment...flash supressor...

Thanks again

MAKOwner
September 22, 2002, 10:00 PM
Go to www.ak-47.net and read up in the forums/ask questions there. You can install a muzzle compensator, but a flash suppressor, bayonet lug, folding stock, etc etc is off limits. Muzzle comps are actually better IMO, and you can install better looking stocksets, folding stocks that are a pinned open (IE looks only), etc. You've also got options for adjustable rear sights, both aperature ("peep" sights) as well as stock looking adjustable models. You also have some optics options, Russian military scopes mount right onto the quick detachable side rail mount already on the rifle, as does the Kobra red dot sight. Lots of options, but you have to stay legal on certain evil features. Just read up at ak-47.net...