PDA

View Full Version : Emerson Knives

nascarnhlnra
September 18, 2002, 07:43 AM
After reading many posts here from such knowlegeable T.F.L.'ers as Tamara and others about these knives I finally got my hands on one. I went to the gun show last weekend and was able to purchase an Emerson mini commander for $ 90 out the door. I have only had this knife for a few days and already love it. The way this thing opens coming out of the pocket is true genius, the thickness of the blade is quite impressive also. I already see a full size commander in my very near future. This mini commander ( which really isn't that mini ) has become my daily carry knife too.:D

eap
September 19, 2002, 06:01 PM
i checked them out and wasn't impressed. emerson is getting by on his name. the liner lock is thin, qc varies wildly and finish is a crap shoot. they are way overpriced. hardly the #1 hard use knife their site touts them as.

$90 is a good price for a mini, best i've seen is $100.

psssniper
September 19, 2002, 11:14 PM
Well.........I love the Commander, I have a total of three.
To me they "feel" right. I have a total of seven Emerson knives, so I guess I bought into the Name eh? Finish on all of mine is great, no complaints. I believe the linerlocks are titanium, therefore thinner might not be a problem but I'm not an engineer.
Anyway that is the great thing about choice is that we have one!
Choose wisely!

Schmit
September 21, 2002, 06:22 AM
I've been carring one type of Emerson or another for over 10 years. Haven't had any complaints yet. Current carry is a full sized Commander.

Erik
September 25, 2002, 01:20 PM
The only complaints I've ever heard about Emerson's (production) knives is that they are pricey for what you get and there weren't enough non-chisel grind knives available.

Traditional grinds are readily available and prices have fell.

So all is well, I guess...

krept
September 27, 2002, 11:29 AM
Congrats on the purchase.

All the Emerson's that I have seen have been great knives.

I too prefer the double bevel grind knives, but chisel ground knives are easy to maintain and make great fighting edges as the chisel edge has a little more stickiness or bite to it due to its geometry.