PDA

View Full Version : tanning skins and hides...

SkaerE
September 16, 2002, 10:34 PM
anyone here do it themselves? ive been tempted in the past and have done a lot of reading on indian methods and modern do it yourself types. for those of you that have done it...any tips?

SteelyDan
September 16, 2002, 11:48 PM
Nothing like answering a question with a question, but just curious if you've run across any good "how to" web sites?

Coltdriver
September 17, 2002, 12:10 AM
I studied this topic long and hard one year.

I decided that for the mess, effort and work involved that having someone else do it was more than worth it, in fact for the most part its a bargain.

On the other hand if you want the experience, It will definitely take some of your time and effort. That may be worth it to some, but it seemed like far too much work to me.

If you start searching on the web there are some good sites out there that describe in fairly graphic detail what is involved.

SkaerE
September 17, 2002, 12:10 AM
bunch of em. just type in "brain tanning" or alum tanning, or home tanning etc. lotsa good books too. just never done it.

i wonder, what is the "best" kinda tanning to do at home?

which one wears the best? (softest)
which one is most durable?
easiest?

etc

swampgator
September 17, 2002, 08:49 AM
I got a book from the library on home tanning leather, in this case, cow hide. A very long (and dirty) process, involving a lot of nasty chemicals.

Brain tanning is easier from a chemical standpoint, but still too complicated for me.

As an aside, a cousin of mine has a sure fire way to tan snake skins. Skin the snake and put the hide in a new gallon of anti-freeze, and wait a year. Hide comes out perfect. I haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a shot.

Cain R
September 17, 2002, 09:36 AM
Tanned 6 deer hides so far with the brain tanning method, 3 with the hair left on and 3 scraped.

If you tackle it yourself, give yourself plently of time as it is labour intensive and incredibly messy. The results can vary from soft supple buckskin to sheets of hard plywood.

Field-dressed
September 17, 2002, 02:17 PM
http://www.braintan.com
Very informative site.

yorec
September 17, 2002, 11:49 PM
Done it a couple of times. had some good ones like Cain, but most of mine ended up the "sheets of hard plywood" type. Best stuff so far was antelope skin.

Tip: Use a lot of lotion on your hands if you use them to try to break down the fiber during the drying period. Also soak with warm water and epson salt to avoid cramping. Its tough on them.

Better tip: Don't use your hands to break down the fiber during the drying period, use a pole or other impliment. Its too tough on your hands. :p