PDA

View Full Version : Remington Light Tactical PSS

Mike Baugh
December 21, 1999, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these rifles ? I am looking for a short barreled .308 and thought I would check into this model . I was wondering if it is available without the detachable mag [I do not like this feature] and how well they shoot . This rifle will be used out to 400 yards max . Thanks , Mike...

Bob Locke
December 21, 1999, 10:18 PM
Not sure about the Remington, but have you looked at the Savage Tactical (model 10FP)? It's available with a 20" barrel (I own the 24" version) and can be had in .308 or .223 calibers.

As far as "light" goes, mine weighs right at 7 pounds, less the five rounds and the scope.

DeBee
December 21, 1999, 10:31 PM
I was looking for one of these rifles. I had some difficulty getting the OK from several dealers who stated they are for LEO's only. Two said no problem though...

I finally got to examine one but not shoot it. Detachable mag is standard, not an option at this time. I really like the short barrel- handy for me- makes the gun come alive. Someone said the .308 cartridge develops most of its velocity in the first 18" of barrel- add the cartridge length to that and you're about perfect. The deep "flutes" make the gun look very interesting.

The detachable box mag makes the stock seem a little flimsy but the fast reload might be worth the trade off especially for a tactical gun. Several extra magazines would be nice. Don't know about mag availability... I'm dreaming of a 10 rd mag...

Two different magazine articles stated the gun is .5 MOA out of the box with premium ammo (Fed. Match, TAP, BalTips). Would probably need minimum tuning out of the box-similar to the VSSF family... Slap on your favorite Leupold Tactical and you're in business.

Downside? Price approx $800 (not too bad really)and limited availabilty.

I decided to build my own rifle similar (but superior) to the LTR out of a stainless Winchester... still working a few things out on that one... looks like it will come in around $800 sans scope anyway.

Mike Baugh
December 21, 1999, 10:42 PM
I have seen these rifles at the local shows for $680 . I have a 700 BDL-DM now and I do not care for the DM . If the Light Tactical is only available in the DM I will probably get a standard PSS with the floor plate . They dropped these when the DM's came out but have brought them back because of the dislike of the DM with the hardcore shooters . I have thought about sending my rifle in and having one built with its reciever but I thought it would be cheaper to buy the factory PSS . Thanks , Mike...