PDA

View Full Version : beretta 92fs

archer215
September 14, 2002, 05:02 PM
i went to the range today to shoot my witness ( which done quite well:) and a few other guns and when i went back up to the gun shop afterwards i was waiting on the lady that owns the range/gunshop to come get my money for my range time i was looking at the guns she had on display and i noticed a used beretta 92fs with hogue rubber finger groove grips i asked to look at it and it was love at first sight the gun has one 15 round beretta mag only and it doesnt have the original grips i put the gun in layby for the next few weeks .
the gun felt sooooooo smooth yet it was tight and the grips felt really good . is $419.00 too high to give for this gun used ? im buying the gun anyways because i was going to start looking for a ful size 9mm but after i saw this one i knew i had to have it it just felt so good. anybody out there have any opinions on these guns good or bad anything i should or shouldnt do to the gun anything i should watch for ? thanks for any info:D :D :D :D

blades67
September 14, 2002, 05:11 PM
Not a bad price. I'd get a spare locking block and have it fitted and a set of replacement springs.. Keep them with the gun. The locking block and springs will reduce any down time to a minimum. (I keep a fitted hammer w/strut, sear, disconnector, flat sear spring, firing pin stop, extractor and springs in my range bag when I take my Kimber out to shoot Tuesday night steel for just in case.)

September 14, 2002, 05:19 PM
Don't worry about getting another locking block, the newer Berettas don't need one as their life shouldn't outlast their locking block.
Here is what to look for in the locking block; if there are two grooves a little above the center of the locking block, then you shouldn't need one, but if it is just rectangular with no grooves then go ahead and get another locking block.
Also make sure to oil your locking block during cleaning.

The springs might be a good idea depending on how many rounds have been put through it, any good gunsmith should be able to tell you for cheap.

blades67
September 14, 2002, 09:59 PM
The locking block and springs are cheap insurance. You can wait until something breaks, probably just as the fun is starting, pack up and go home only to wait for the parts and the fitting, or keep the parts with you for just in case.

defox
September 14, 2002, 11:18 PM
Great choice!! King of the wundernines!!

Have an armorer look it over. This is advisable for any used gun you are purchasing!!

September 14, 2002, 11:34 PM
blades, but why bother if they will never break:D

archer215
September 15, 2002, 08:40 AM
thanks for the info i think im really gonna like this gun . got another question ive saw some talk about african magz for the 92 will these work in any 92 beretta and if so are they reliable ? thanks again:D

Kermit
September 15, 2002, 10:17 AM
Good choice, fair price. Enjoy the new addition.

defox
September 15, 2002, 02:12 PM
Outside of the factory and Mec-Gar you run the huge risk of unreliable mags. I heard however that there are some military surplus mags coming out of Asia. Check your parts and accessories dealers to see if they have in stock.

KarlG
September 15, 2002, 10:45 PM
I have a couple of the Asian 15-round mags. One works fine and the other will lock the slide back only 9 out of 10 time after the last round is fired. Have considered buying a Bertta follower to see if that solves the problem.

There are many places to buy 15 round magazines. I have had good luck with www.cdnninvestments.com. ( Editorial: I consider 15 rounds to be standard capacity and 10 rounds to be a "legislated low capacity". If we start talking like 10 rounds is standard, then the anti's will be asking why anybody needs more than a standard capacity magazine.)

Karl

OutLaw
September 16, 2002, 11:40 AM
Good price on a used Beretta,Just find some good cheap(everywhere) 15 round mags,At least 6.:D

9mmepiphany
September 16, 2002, 02:11 PM
that is a good price, assuming it hasn't been abused.

the beretta is a great pistol as long as it fits your hand, it is certainly one of the most reliable 9mm out there. i got my 96 (.40) used also and had the whole top end rebuilt (springs, pins and locking block) by LTT...the price on the locking block (gen 3) has fallen from $70 to $35...just for my piece of mind.

the mags you are likely thinking of are the south african mil-spec made for their vektor...these and the asian are the only surplus mags i have seen on the market lately.

there are all kinds of things you can add to the 92 as time goes on. i especially like the skeltonized hammer and the extended mag release

FPrice
September 16, 2002, 02:32 PM
Can someone post a pic of the locking block please so that I know exactly what part I am looking for?

Thanks.

archer215
September 16, 2002, 02:32 PM
from what i handled and played with the gun it felt tight im going to change the recoil spring and the hammer spring and yes i do need to get some 15 rounders for the gun but id rather have original beretta magz if i can even if theyre used i can get new springs for the mag bodies thanks for all the info:D

OutLaw
September 17, 2002, 09:02 AM
And if you have $700.00 to spend.That Beretta would like a Beretta Elite II for company.

archer215
September 17, 2002, 02:11 PM
dont think ive saw an elite before outlaw but i do like the looks of the older centurion i like the looks of the barrel flush with the slide just a little better but thats just me:D