PDA

View Full Version : Krag...

David4516
September 10, 2002, 01:55 AM
One of my friends recently got a 30-40 Krag. I haven't fired it yet, but I get to next time we are both at the range at the same time. But even without having shot it yet, I can say I think I like Krags. The sideways magazine is really nifty, it makes me wonder why modern rifles don't come with mags like that. Anyway, I am thinking about getting one of my own, so I was wondering if any of you have Krags and if so, would you recomend them to others? Also, what do you think of the 30-40 round? I took a quick look at one, and to me it looked like a beefed up 30-30. How "powerful" is it? Would it be OK for elk hunting?

Bear Flare
September 10, 2002, 08:28 AM
Ballistically, it is a LITTLE better than the 30-30. Not as good as the .308. You are talking about a 42,000 psi operating pressure gun rather than the 50,000 of the .308 Win. I would take it elk hunting, just use proper bullets, be sure of your shot placement, and be prepared to track game if necessary.

A lot of game on several continents has been taken with the 30/40. Whatever you do, never up-load your Krag handloads for any reason. These are not the sturdiest guns in the world and the NEWEST Krag is 100 years old already.

Bear Flare

Art Eatman
September 10, 2002, 09:04 AM
There are a couple of recent threads on the Krag.

Best if you or your friend handload; use the heavier bullets for which the twist rate is designed. Okay for elk if you don't get overly optimistic about the range.

Art

Nodakmarine
September 10, 2002, 10:27 PM
The Krag has the reputation for having one of the smoothest operating bolts found on any rifle. Then again, with only one locking lug, it also has the bad reputation for being a weak action. :( The bolt handle does act sort of like a safety lug in the event the locking lug lets go but I wouldn't rely on it very much. I've also seen Krags with the locking lug filed back so that the bolt handle is making contact with the receiver to give it a second lug but IMHO, that's a BAD idea. First is that it is going to effect your headspace and second, now you have no safety lug of sorts in case both the locking lug and bolt handle let go. :eek: All-in-all though, not a bad rifle but I'd stick to some pretty mild loads to shoot through them. No sense in hot-rodding the old girls, blowing up a piece of history and eating a bolt while you're at it.

T-Rex
September 11, 2002, 09:03 AM
I've got an 1892 Krag that was upgraded to 18965 specs by the armory, downgraded to a broken stock by my Dad, and re-stocked with full length hand-rubbed oiled wood by me. Anyway, It knocks golf balls around at 100yds with open sights, and loves 180 gr. Winchester ammo. I still need to get a set of dies because shooting the thing is addictive, and everyone at the range normally wants to try it out. There are better hunting rifles, and better combat rifles, but few that are as much fun to shoot. It's a true rifleman's rifle, and if you get to know it, it's one of the best quality and most accurate rifles the US army ever bought. Enjoy!

bismark
September 11, 2002, 11:16 AM
The Krag is a fine rifle. The 30-40 cartridge is good for just about anything in North America and exhibits excelent penetration. It can probably be safly loaded up to be more powerful if used in a T/C or a Ruger #3.
Buy yourself a Krag, they're alot of fun and a very interesting piece of history.