PDA

View Full Version : Crikey!

K80Geoff
September 6, 2002, 04:06 PM
I have just learned through super secret intelligence channels (through an unnamed source) that our own Soda Pop, master of the Mini 14 and champion of the FAL, has turned to the dark side:eek:

SODA BOUGHT AN AR!!!!!! :D

:p

Steve Smith
September 6, 2002, 04:09 PM
He and I have been talking over PM about this...I wonder what he got???!!!

Art Eatman
September 6, 2002, 08:15 PM
Well, I reckon everybody has a bit of masochist in 'em. :)

Ain't ARs like cocaine? The Good Lord's way of tellin' ya that ya got too much money? :D

Art

Reckon anybody will remember that Art's Bushie is his fifth AR?

KSFreeman
September 6, 2002, 08:34 PM
Obviously the young man needs counseling. I recommend UR 1 & 2 at Dr. Smith's clinic. This should be followed by Intense Outpatient Treatment at Gunsite Therapy Center, Dr. P. Rogers, the SIG House and Dr. L. Awerbuck.

MiniZ
September 6, 2002, 11:17 PM
Heck, if I knew he was looking to blow some money, I could have sold him a Mini 14 GB with folding stock. That way he could have had a "evil" rifle, and kept it in the Mini14 family.

Jamie Young
September 7, 2002, 12:11 AM
:) Yes tis true!:D

I went shop hopping and NOBODY had the kind of AR I went shopping for.

I went around and checked out a place I buy mags from, and they had a really good price on an XM15E2. I got one for $750, which was about $100 less than most of the shops I went to. I picked up a couple USGI 30rd mags too.

Steve-I'm gonna learn the whole sling thing with My Winchester Model 70, 30/06 and then get a Garand or another AR. I think I can still enter DCM matches with the Bushmaster right?
I'm new to all that stuff so I gotta start somewhere. IRON SIGHTS it shall stay. The scope is staying on the FAL (I don't like the sights for shooting 100-500yds, the whole Meters vs Yard thing screws me up). The Bushmaster gives me something better to learn on. I gotta get the whole "sight picture" thing down. My eyes go crosseyed and boggle around too much.

I just got done loading up 100rds of 69gr HPBT for Sunday. This AR is going to get a beating from me, and has to prove itself. Guns that fail get sold.

You know how I am.
:D

P.S. Anyone that picks on the Mini 14 is still going to get it from me.:mad:

Jamie Young
September 7, 2002, 12:32 AM
I will post a 200-500yd, 55gr-69gr Mini 14 vs AR thread in the next month or so. I got the best mags, and shoot the best ammo, so it ought to be pretty interesting. Same barrel twist on both rifles also.

The FAL is still King.:cool:

has turned to the dark side

Well lets just say I'll be on "new fighting ground."

Six Months from now, will Soda be on the "Mad Dog/George Hill" side, or the "Turk/Rikwriter" side. Or the lonesome "Art Eatman" side.;)

Maybe you should do a poll Geoff.

Steve Smith
September 7, 2002, 03:37 PM
I don't know what an XM15E2 is, but if it has a brake on it, you will not be very welcome on the line. Otherwise, yes, you will be just fine. If its an A2 with a 20" barrel, you will be in Service Rifle class.

Jamie Young
September 7, 2002, 03:42 PM
Its a Bushmaster 20inch HBAR AR. Its got the A2 sights. The trigger is very good. I'm guessing its around a 4.5lb pull. I went into 3 shops and NOBODY heard of Rock River Arms. They kept trying to sell me DPMS and Olypics.

Steve Smith
September 7, 2002, 03:48 PM
You just can't find RRA in a store easily. Great things have to be ordered. ;)

Jamie Young
September 7, 2002, 03:49 PM
Its a plain Vanilla AR.

K80Geoff
September 7, 2002, 04:34 PM
I have the same Bushy. Yes it is definitely a "Service Rifle" for DCM.

Nothing wwrong with a basic AR. It shoots better than those cut off kiddie guns that everybody seems to want these days.

Now buy mags, lots and lots of mags :D

PS I have 25 meter sighting targets and the sight tool ready:D

K80Geoff
September 7, 2002, 04:36 PM
double PS

I hope you gave it a good thorough cleaning and lube, otherwise it will be a jammatic tomorow:D

Jamie Young
September 7, 2002, 04:45 PM
Wells its an AR. I'll practice clearing Jams.:p

Jamie Young
September 7, 2002, 05:02 PM
I've shot about 30 ARs in the last year. IMHO mags and ammo were the problems. I got USGI M193 and USGI 30rd mags so I have the best stuff out there. I'm training for the draft anyway.

BusGunner007
September 7, 2002, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the Black Rifle Club, SodaPop.
Congratulations on your choice of a Bushmaster.

Here's a great link for info:

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/newtoar15s.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Jamie Young
September 8, 2002, 08:52 PM
Too late, Don!
K80Geoff brought a bunch of them to the range today. I sighted in the gun with those targets, but I don't know if I like it sighted in like that. I'm use to zeroing my rifles at 200yds. I was shooting over the targets at 200yds, by about 6 inches. I don't like it zeroed like that.

I have my ballistics tables in me head, and I was lost on where my 62gr SCBT and 69gr HPBT were going. :confused: When I set the elevation on "5" I was dead on at 500yds with the 62gr.:D :cool: I missed everything in between:mad: :rolleyes:

*SodaPop, is effective at 500yds, anything less then that and he'll miss.*:o

I shuffled my safe too much and must have knocked the 3-12x40 scope on my FAL. I took 13rds of Federal Gold Match to the range and missed everything I shot at. :mad: Then I took the last 3rds I had and shot at 100yds. My windage was 3inches off at 100yds. Which means I was off by a minimum of 15inches at 500yds. And I was only shooting at one of those 12inch Shoot N C targets. Too bad I didn't "C" anything.:rolleyes:

I calculate that I fired about 500rds threw the AR today. Nothing blew up exploded or incinerated.......or jammed. YET!!!;)

Taking apart ARs and cleaning them......um......*think about Art's editing policy* is a pain.:D I takes 3 times as long to clean one of these things as it does to clean a FAL.

How often do you fellas take out the bolt and firing pin for cleaning? Now I know what they're talking about with losing small pins. Someone should have put a little more thought into being practical with these kind of things. Oh well its only a poodle shooter.

Jamie Young
September 8, 2002, 09:58 PM
Actually the problem is............I sighted it in at 25yds and not 25 Meters. I think? Its all yard at My range and when it gets into the whole "meters" thing it gets screwed up.

I had it zeroed one click past the 3 and then set it back to the 8/3 and shot 200yds. It was high.:(

Coronach
September 8, 2002, 10:27 PM
heh. Sighting in the AR. been there, done that.

Remind me or Falconer not to tell you how a sighted-out my AR one rainy day at Flaconer's cabin. :D

"Gawd-dammit, I'm STILL not on paper, [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?????"

"Crank up the front sight post another few turns."

"I'm almost out of elevation."

"yeah, and your groups suck, too."

"KISS MY (_!_), TOM!"

Mike

PS It involves my father and his desire to twiddle with knobs when he's bored. :rolleyes:

Coronach
September 8, 2002, 10:32 PM
Taking apart ARs and cleaning them......um......*think about Art's editing policy* is a pain. I takes 3 times as long to clean one of these things as it does to clean a FAL.Uhm...yeah. It is a true statement of how well we dominate the logistical scene of warfare that we have the luxury to actually keep an AR running in a combat zone. Spares, parts, places to rotate troops out to, troops to rotate-in in their stead, cotter pins, plungers, springs(helical)... Jeesh. Whatever happened to KISS? But, as long as we keep winning, we can keep the ARs running, and thats all that matters.

I like my AR, but I love my FAL. :D

Mike

Jamie Young
September 8, 2002, 10:51 PM
PS It involves my father and his desire to twiddle with knobs when he's bored.

I hear ya! I took a $2000 piece of recording equipment to a music store to sell it and got a phone call 1 week later that it did not work. When we opened it up we found a "POKEMON" playing card inside. %$#@ kids:mad:

DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!

Coronach
September 8, 2002, 11:21 PM
My father: poster child for the A1 rear sight. ;)

"GAWD-DAMMIT! This was at 600 the whole friggen time?!?!?!?!?!"

Mike

PS yes, I should have figured it out myself. Yes, i should have checked it first. Mostly my fault. Its just more fun to blame the Old Man and his quest to find out what all the knobs and buttons did on his son's new toy. :D Parents...God bless 'em.

Steve Smith
September 9, 2002, 09:02 AM
Soda, suck it up and move the front sight. If the front sight is tapered, then you have to turn it one complete rev. If not (doubt it on that rifle) just one click and try again. Forget the 3/8 marking unless it just happens to work out. Using the small aperture (of course) set the rear sight at MZ (mechanical zero) (all the way down) and fire at 200 yards. Adjust the front sight for center hits or as close as possible with your shots slightly UNDER the desired point of impact. Then bring up the rear sight to get your desired POI. Count those clicks and write them down. Back the sight back down (if any, it may be 10 clicks or so) and use a white paint marker to mark the elevation wheel and the surrounding metal. Take the windage knob to MZ as well and mark it. The nsee if you need to have a few clicks on to get it at your POI. Write that down too. Here are some pics of one of my rifles that RomaRoma is still graceously hosting for me.

http://www.romarana.com/sight3.JPG

http://www.romarana.com/sight2.JPG

http://www.romarana.com/sight1.JPG

K80Geoff
September 9, 2002, 10:56 AM
"Shot high at 200"

SO that is why the drill sergeants told us to shoot at the bottom of the little green men targets on teh qualification range at 150 to 200 meters:D

Using the military zero zeroes the rifle at 300. The sights will be high at 200 because of the arc of the bullet. If is is on at 25 meters and 300 the bullett is rising at 25 and dropping at 300. (Does this make any sense?)

I have to check my AR to see if I can lower the sights at 200. Although in combat you would not worry about this, just use "Kentucky windage" or is it "Kentucky elevation":D

I guess it is like every thing else, you are going to have to shoot a lot to figure it out:D