PDA

View Full Version : Need help in choosing rifle for .300 win mag

tiger
November 21, 1999, 08:28 PM
I'm shopping for a .300 win mag rifle and wanted to get some suggestions.

I can spend up to $2k

Thanks in advance

Art Eatman
November 21, 1999, 11:58 PM
What is your intended use(s)?

For example, if you're primarily interested in hunting, a lot of the regular $500 rifles will do just fine.

If you're thinking of long-range target shooting, you might then want to move up to a more customized gun.

Elucidate, sil vous plait...

:), Art

WalterGAII
November 22, 1999, 12:59 AM
In the $600+ range, the Rem. Sendaro would be hard to beat, if you're looking at long-range hunting. It's going to be pretty heavy, unless you get the stainless fluted model.

tiger
November 22, 1999, 01:16 AM
The usage will be for long range target shooting

Gale McMillan
November 22, 1999, 09:22 AM
When you say target do you mean formal or informal? There is a big difference in stocks

tiger
November 22, 1999, 01:52 PM
It'll be informal target shooting

WalterGAII
November 22, 1999, 02:31 PM
Get that Sendaro and put a Jewell trigger in it. You're still under $1000, with that setup.

Will Fennell
November 22, 1999, 08:16 PM
.....and then spend the OTHER thousand$$$ on a good scope.

And remember, quality is more important than extra do-dads. LEOPOLD and SWAROSKI have both given me good performance and service over the years.

Cheers,

Will Fennell
CAMILLUS CUTLERY

Art Eatman
November 22, 1999, 09:27 PM
WalterGAII: I'm unfamiliar with the Jewell trigger. Do you know of any direct comparisons with the Canjar? (Talk about me being out of date! I should have asked, is Canjar still in business?)

What's the cost of the Jewell? Do they make a set trigger?

WalterGAII
November 22, 1999, 10:02 PM
Art,

The Jewell triggers are just under $200, for Rem. 700's. They're adjustable from 2oz. to four pounds or so. They drop in with no fitting. Jewell also makes triggers for other rifles, including the Win. 70 and AR-15.

If you talk to the benchrest guys, they'll tell you that the Jewell is absolutely the best.

Canjar is still in business, but is not in the same league with Jewell.

I installed a Timney on my Rem. 700 VS. It's somewhat better than the factory trigger, but is also not in the league with a Jewell.

Midway is selling Jewells now, BTW.

Long Path
November 23, 1999, 01:46 AM
Clearly, I'm not in the league of the real competitors-- I can't see any reason to improve on the 2 lb trigger on my Sendero-- it's just the factory trigger with a very good $35 trigger job. Feels like a thin glass rod breaking. As this is a hunting rifle for me, I don't want to go below 2 lbs. If I was into targets a lot, I might go down to a pound. So in that instance, I might want a Jewell or a Timney. I agree about putting the serious money into the scope, mounts, and rings.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

tiger
November 23, 1999, 02:04 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.

I put my order in for a Sendero this morning. Gotta wait the stinking 10 days

Snapsho7
November 24, 1999, 04:07 AM
You might also think about putting a muzzle brake on that Sendero.

I have 2 Senderos; one regular and the other stainless steel fluted. The SS one has a VIAS muzzle brake and it makes ALOT of difference!

VIAS also does one of the BEST trigger jobs to the factory Remington that I've ever seen.

Long Path
November 25, 1999, 01:20 AM
Shoot the rifle, first, before you lengthen a 26" barrel further with a muzzle break that can play hell with the beautiful concave factory crown. I'm not trying to detract from others, here, but the kick is pretty durn minimized by a rifle that weighs 8.5 lbs empty and unscoped, and about 11 lbs scoped, slung, and loaded. The blast from a brake, however, is rather severe. Best to shoot first, and consider these things later. I just don't feel the kick, even with my heaviest 180's. Not a brag-- I'm a real wuss about the blast off muzzle breaks. :)

L.P.

Snapsho7
November 25, 1999, 05:28 AM
I shot my first Sendero for several years before picking up the Stainless Steel one.

I has a VIAS muzzle brake that screws onto the end of the now threaded barrel. My concave muzzle crown is still there and it works fine.

As for sound increase, VIAS claims their brake won't increase noise levels much if at all and I can verify this.
(I've actually had people come up and say my rifle SOUNDS nice! :) )

I agree that you should fire any firearm before making signifigant changes to it.

thequickad
November 25, 1999, 06:06 PM
Browning BAR II BOSS, with Leupold 3.5 to 10X 50mm Scope. About $1100, Super accurate and extremely forgiving (due to the boss). I really love it. It is in 300WM.

Maybe a bit loud with the boss.

WalterGAII
November 26, 1999, 11:58 PM
You'll love the Sendaro. The factory Rem. trigger can be easily adjusted down to 2# or so. I've had mine down to 1.5#. You don't need to pay a gunsmith $35 to adjust the Rem. trigger. Invest $20 in an RCBS Premium Trigger Pull Scale, then you can readjust accurately, whenever you wish to make a change.

thequickad
November 27, 1999, 12:53 AM
Nothing against the Sendero, but 300WM kicks a lot more in my friend's Sendero than my Browning BAR II with the BOSS. The BOSS is really cool for fine tuning the accuracy and giving you the recoil break. Not to mention the BAR's semi-auto design also soaks up a bit of the kick.

WalterGAII
November 27, 1999, 02:22 PM
I have no doubt but that the BOSS equipped BAR handles recoil better than the Sendaro; however, he did say he was looking for a long-range target rifle. Not exactly within the parameters of the BAR.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

thequickad
November 29, 1999, 12:38 AM
I agree with the target part. But many of us have the mis-believe that target is not the same a bench resting. I made the mistake thinking that I am a "target" shooter and bought the 700VSSF .308 with a big hugh scope, the sucker weighs 13 lbs with the bi-pod and other than using it for Bench shooting. It is not much a target gun in the field. Too heavy. The Sendero is 1 to 2 lbs heavier than the VSSF. So do you really want a 15-lb "target rifle"?

tiger
November 29, 1999, 03:47 AM
Buddy of mine heard about me getting a .300 win mag and he wants one to but he can spend about $500 on one.

Any suggestions? I heard Savage may have rifles under $500