PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy Conundrum

DeadCalm
November 22, 1999, 04:12 PM
I took my old Remington BDL, .22-250, to the range last weekend and got a nasty surprise. It wouldn't shoot any grouops tighter than 3-4 moa. It hadn't been shot in 5-10 years, but had always delivered sub-moa groups using factory ammo. I was shooting the same ammo, Rem. 55 gr. HPs, that I'd had good luck with before. I checked the screws on the base and rings; all snug. The guard screws needed to be tightened about half a turn each, but this didn't improve accuracy. I thought I was just having a bad day, but then out-shot the Remington with my Mini-14! Bizarre. The only change I can figure is that 6 years ago this rifle moved from sea level to 5,000 feet. But wouldn't stock warpage merely change the point of impact, not the accuracy? Any suggestions out there would be much appreciated.

Mal H
November 22, 1999, 04:26 PM
How did you prepare the barrel after that 7.5 year layoff?

Al Thompson
November 22, 1999, 04:29 PM
Odds are that the scope is the problem. If your using a new lot of ammo, it may be the problem, but the scope is usually the culprit.

Giz

Mal H
November 22, 1999, 04:34 PM
But scopes usually don't loosen up internally from sitting unused. They do seem to get off target for no apparent reason, but you should still be able to get similar accuracy even if it is a couple of inches off the X.

Al Thompson
November 22, 1999, 06:31 PM
Mal, I agree with you. My thought is that when you start with the probabilities, IMHO, the scope is a leader for problems.

There are a couple of other possibilities, ammo lot changes, stock warpage, bore damage or crown wear - but DeadCalm can solve the scope possibility by switching scopes. Other than the bore problems, this one is the eaisest to eliminate up front.

Giz

Zensho
November 22, 1999, 09:01 PM
Clean the hell out of it and make sure those swabs are coming out WHITE. Then buy some match grade and site it dead on at 25 yds = 1/4" inch groups. Clean it again and move out to 100 yards. all this of course being done in sand bags and settled in good.

Art Eatman
November 22, 1999, 09:24 PM
And if none of the above works, take it apart and check the stock. Sometimes, past cleaning and lubricating might have been a bit overenthusiastic, and the wood of the stock around the screws will soften. Not common, of course.

And check the bedding of the forearm. If, for instance, the barrel was then floating free, and a bit of stock warpage is now maybe touching the barrel a bit tightly, you could have a case of "bad vibes".

But check this last, after the easy stuff.

FWIW, Art

DeadCalm
November 23, 1999, 12:52 AM
Thank you for the responses. I pulled one of those National Tech-Lab cleaning ropes through the barrel a couple of times before I fired it, but can't tell you what gunk came out because of the fabric's dark color. I used this once after each five shot group as well. The rifle and scope have been babied their whole lives, so I ruled out abuse. (The scope is a Redfield 6x that I paid $85 for new in 1970. A lot of money for a high school junior!) Also use one of those plastic MTM bore-guards when cleaning to keep juice from trickling into the woodwork, but who knows? I may have crudded up the stock somehow. I can switch scopes easily enough. Will try that with recommended range protocol and see what happens. More serious tear-down as necessary.

By the way, if the scope should need replacing (said he, brightening visibly), any thoughts on what to put on it? All my others have been Leupolds, except for one Swarovski I bought years ago when they were affordable. I've been very happy with Leupold, but am open to other suggestions. Most shooting would be casual paper punching, with some occasional varmint work thrown in. I would like to be able to carry the piece in the field, so weight is an issue. How about a 10x, or maybe a variable? I welcome your ideas, and thanks again for your help.

Art Eatman
November 25, 1999, 12:48 AM
I'm partial to the Leupold Vari-X II, 3X9. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Vari-X III, but I've never missed them. MIne is a 1970 vintage; it's not quite as "bright" as I remember it, so I've semi-retired it to a Ruger 77, .223.

I have a Simmons 44 Mag on my '06, right now, and it's holding its zero nicely.

I've used a ton of Weaver K-4s, but I think a .22-250 would benefit from at least the 9X setting for shooting from a rest.

Personal opinion: It seems to me that these giant objective lenses either have your head sort of up off the cheek-piece of the stock, or the cheek-piece needs to be built up. I grant their effectiveness in low light over the smaller lenses.

As with a shotgun, close your eyes and mount the gun to the off-hand shooting position. Open your eyes. If the stock fits properly, your eye will line up with the sights or with the crosshairs of a scope. (Or the rib of a shotgun.)

FWIW, Art

DeadCalm
November 25, 1999, 03:54 AM
Art, Thanks for the scope advice. I've got a Vari-X II 3-9 on a Mini-14, which I like very much. Not so sure it's best place is on the Ruger, but that's a different matter.
On the .22-250 business, I double-checked the scope and all it's screws and see no visible problem (yeah, I know you don't always see the problem). Decided to pull the action off the stock, as you had suggested. Used some inletting black on the barrel, and found a high spot in the stock's forend tip, which I think pushed the barrel up and to the right. (The groups at the range strung out to the right.) I took the spot down so the barrel free floats again. Hope to get it to the range tomorrow to see what happens. Thanks again for you help.

Gale McMillan
November 25, 1999, 09:21 AM
I would suspect the crown may have got dinged in the gun rack but no the warped stock doesn't always just move the point of impact. Start with the easiest first and start the process of I would suspect the crown may have got dinged in the gun rack but no the warped stock doesn't always just move the point of impact. Start with the easiest first and start the process of elimination

Gale McMillan
November 25, 1999, 09:24 AM
Sorry about that. Looks like my word gut the hick ups

Art Eatman
November 25, 1999, 10:14 PM
Getting down to searching for answers from between my hip pockets: If the crown is okay--and I agree with Gale--How about the ammo?

Did you use new stuff? Or, if it's some you've had around, could it have gotten hot? As in the trunk of a car in summer? (For that matter, even the seller wouldn't know its storage conditions prior to his receiving it...)

Just reaching and guessing, Art

DeadCalm
November 27, 1999, 12:37 AM
Ok, final chapter. Went to the range today with the original Rem. HPs shot last time (pre '93, but carefully stored) and a fairly new box of Rem. Soft Points; both 55 grain. Groups from both batches stayed right around 1 moa! :) So, I assume it was the forend tip, although, as you know, I fiddled with the scope mounts a second time too. Anyway, thought you might like to know how it turned out. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to keep the scope.
Thanks again for everyone's advice.