PDA

View Full Version : 1911 ambi-safety question

Mike Davies
September 4, 2002, 12:29 AM
I installed an Ed Brown ambi-safety on my 1911, but find that the two halves do not want to 'stay together'. The connecting joint in the centre between the two thumb levers is a sort of flat male/female joint, but the right side thumb lever will start to walk out of the frame, and will neither engage nor disengage the safety. I've tried squeezing the "female" side of the joint a bit more each time so that when I assemble the right side thumb safety it takes a pair of (jaws protected) vice grips to get it to "click" into place. However, after about 20 or 30 cycles of applying and "offing" the safety, the right side gets sloppy again.
Am I doing something wrong..? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike

stans
September 4, 2002, 05:31 AM
I think the Ed Brown safety has a small tab on the right side safety that is supposed to fit under the right grip panel. This tab keeps the right side safety from sliding out of the frame.

George Stringer
September 4, 2002, 07:55 AM
Mike, try it with the grips on as Stans suggested. If you still have the problem contact Ed Brown and see if you can exchange it. They should fit better than that. George

Mike Davies
September 4, 2002, 06:06 PM
stans: Yes, it does...I had to rebate the inside of the right side grip at that point for the tab on the right side safety...I wonder if I took out too much material..? I'll see if that's the case, and if so, if I can "put back" some material to make it a bit more snug.

George: Thanks for seconding "stans" suggestion...I'll try the above, and if I still have problems, I'll contact Ed Brown. I have other Ed Brown parts on my Norinco and they are good quality products. :)
Thanks for the help guys!
Mike