PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolfs?

twoblink
September 3, 2002, 09:52 PM
Stemming from another discussion... I was thinking about the rifle that I like but can't find/afford. The Timberwolf's...

I prefer pump action over lever, and in .357 or .44, it's perfect if you have a revolver...

So I'm curious to know why they don't import them anymore...

BTW, I'm working on getting the Browning BPS/Ithaca bottom eject design for something that is revolver caliber... I prefer bottom eject (I'm left handed... Shell casing burns on the right arms is not that fun after like the 5th...) So I hope sometime later, I will be able to design something that will take a revolver/pistol caliber in a pump rifle that's bottom eject..

Think there's a market for them, or am I the only one that wants one?

Erich
September 5, 2002, 09:23 AM
Judging from the prices they bring, there's a market.

I think it might be a limited market, though (you know, like the market for 9x19 revolvers - you get oddballs like me who like them, but most folks don't see the point), and therefore not worth the trouble of the manufacturers. The market for handgun-caliber carbines is already limited (not to mention divided between the market for semiauto-cartridge carbines and that for those chambered for cartridges ordinarily used in revolvers) in the first place, since most folks (judging from sales) prefer their shoulder arms to pack a lot more wallop.

I wouldn't be surprised if the feeling of the gun companies is that the lever-actions already on the market adequately fill the niche for those who'd want a revolver-caliber carbine (tho I would agree with those who claim that the Timberwolf pump is probably a lot faster to operate than a lever), and, besides, there's no doubt that the interest of the "cowboy" crowd in the levers makes these lever-action carbines profitable.

If they were still available, though, I'm sure the Timberwolves would have steady (though by no means momentous) sales. I'd probably buy one for my stepfather.

Ceol Mhor
September 5, 2002, 09:47 AM
There are three different companies currently working on Colt Lightning pump rifle replicas...IIRC, they'll all retail around $1000, at least to start with.

As for speed - what I've read on Cowboy forums is that pumps are a bit faster to mechanically work, but working the slide pushes your sights off target a lot more than working a lever does. None of the top cowboy shooters use pumps, even though they can be found (original Lightnings).

Personally, I want one anyway. I think they're really cool. :)

Erich
September 5, 2002, 02:11 PM
So does my stepfather . . . who also lives in West Lafayette. :)