PDA

View Full Version : .338 Lapua Magnum

George Hill
October 27, 1999, 06:10 AM
Do we have anyone here with experience with .338 Lapua Magnum? I used to have a .338 Winchester Magnum, but Lapua seems to be much more energetic. What are the differences?

I am considering buying a long range rifle, and this caliber stands out.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

oberkommando
October 27, 1999, 01:37 PM
The difference is about 500 meters, made for sniping originally for about 1500 yard range and trajectory similar to 50BMG, dont have one, but is most powerfull long range rifle that is readily portable and I wouldn't mind having one, ya know, for those long range varmits. Chambered commonly by McBros, Robar, and Dakota I believe, and probably more. Gotta go to work, or would post more info.

------------------
The beauty of the second Amendment is that it is not needed until they try to take it. T JEFFERSON

Do you really think that we want those laws to be observed? We want them broken. We're after power and we mean it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breakings laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted-and you create a nation of law breakers--and then you cash in on guilt.

A RAND

Gale McMillan
October 27, 1999, 03:51 PM
My first contact with the 338 sniper rifles is with the Navy 338/416 . In the early 80s Haskins made them for the Navy and I had the job of trying to make them shoot. There were many things wrong with the Haskins rifle . The worst thing was it kicked like a mule. In a short time the Navy gave up on them and scraped the project. Malcomb Cooper of Accuracy Int. brought it back to life and had ideas of a multi purpose round like the Raufus 50 cal. Anyway they tamed it and pulled the recoil off to a livable degree. If It were me I would definitely rather have one of the hot shot 30 caliber's that are eating every one up at the thousand yard bench rest matches. The hot cartridge at the present time is the Lazeroni Warbird driving a 180 gr pill at 3450 and the Patriot driving a 180 at 3100. Gattling can better give you the 338 Lapua ballistics but saying one last thing My 300 Win Mags come out on top every time I run up against Accuracy Int. at an evaluation match.

George Hill
October 28, 1999, 02:30 AM
The problem withe Lazeroni calibers is that you have to have them in Lazeroni rifles.
I just dont feel right buying a gun that rhymes with a Cheesy Pasta dish...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Gale McMillan
October 28, 1999, 09:24 AM
We build rifles on the Lazeroni cartridges and also build the Lazeroni rifles under private lable.

Gattling
November 1, 1999, 05:34 PM
I'll write down a flight path tables ofcouple of bullets shot from .338Lapua as soon as I have time to type them here.

Gale: I'll contact you soon on the case sample matter.

Why can't there be 25 hours in a day ...
or just why doesn't a nice pixie come over and donate me one laptop + gsm-modem to check out TFL while travelling ;)

Gattling.

oberkommando
November 5, 1999, 03:30 AM
The Longbow guarantees 1/2 MOA performance with an effective range of 1500 meters in its .338 configuration. It generates up to 5250 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy from a 300 grain bullet traveling at 2850 fps. The rifle is available in .338 Lapua magnum, .330 Dakota magnum, and .300 Dakota magnum. It utilizes commercially available match grade ammunition and components.

This is some of info from Dakota about 338.