PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to hurt my gun???????

DOCSpanky
November 4, 1999, 04:17 PM
I have a Marlin 880SQ. I had someone tell me not to shoot CCI CB's through it as it may damage the barrel. I have always heard that you can shoot the CB's through bolt action rifles and single shot rifles chambered for the 22LR, just not autos. Input anyone??? I've already shot a couple and I don't want to hurt my new toy. Help please.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

JoeHatley
November 4, 1999, 04:38 PM
I don't think so. At worst it will dirty up the front of the chamber, but regular cleaning will fix that.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Art Eatman
November 4, 1999, 05:25 PM
If you shoot a lot of it, it will, as Joel said, lead up the front of the chamber. Then, if you go back to Long Rifle cartridges, they might not seat or will seat with difficulty.

I've run a hundred or so rounds of CB through a bolt-action single-shot, and have noticed no leading, yet. Guess I oughta go clean it. :)

The only hazard I can think of, offhand, is that somebody might get a bit frustrated at the hard seating and slam the bolt home hard enough to pop that rimfire primer--which could be exciting...

So, a little cleaning of the chamber with a stiff brush, etc., oughta keep things going "normal"...

FWIW, Art

James K
November 4, 1999, 10:57 PM
General info:

If slamming the bolt on a .22 rifle causes it to fire (assuming the firing pin did not drop), the headspace is too tight. It should be taken to a gunsmith for correction as the condition is potentially dangerous.

Jim